Model Cars Magazine Forum

i got a shelby series one kit the other day and the decals are pretty rough looking , i went to take one of the backing paper after taking it out of the water and it just crumbled in my fingers , do u goys have any idea on wat i can do to stop this or are the decals garbage?

Jon, on old decalimania , I would use a good quality Clear Lacquer first. Coat the sheet with the clear . Allow it to dry thoroughly. and then try again . Oh, I might add in doing so, you will have to cut to the EDGE any decals you want as the clear is part of the OVERALL sheet now ! Ed Shaver

I don't mean to butt heads with ya Ed, but spraying a clear paint is no where near as good as coating the decals with Microscale or Superscale "Decal Film". This stuff is the same carrier that the decals are printed on. Lacquer is just that...a paint. It isn't flexible and it won't repsond to setting solutions. When you overcoat the sheet with Decal Film you can lay the decal down and then apply Microset and Microsol (or Super Set and Super Sol...same things) over the decals and they will settle down like new decals.

I've saved and used decals sheets that were 20 years old and cracked all up using the decal film.

I've also had great results with the spray on decal bonder from Testors. And you also have to trim it very close to your graphics as well, but it is very flexible and I have used it with the red label Mirosol with no problem. :)