Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP.....Lowe's Spongebob Nascar M/C...New Updates.9/22/07

1320wayne

I started this project about six months ago and I was only able to get so far before the project went back into the box. Now it's time to get back to it in hopes of being able to have it finished for the Atlanta NNL in November.

It is an extreme build Nascar, Lowe's Spongebob Monte Carlo. This was a one race paint scheme for Jimmie Johnson at Daytona in July, 2003. The decals are provided by JWTBM and they are definately worth the price.

This build was inspired by those done by David Thibadeau and Clay Kemp. Utilizing some of their techniques and photo etch from Model Car Garage I started by shaving all of the excess body detail from the Revell kit body that would be replaced by photo etch pieces.

DSC02544-vi.jpg

The roof rails were removed and replaced with PE pieces along with the hood holddown plates. The trunk was cut out and PE hinge brackets were added as well as the hood. The roof flaps were cut out and also replaced with PE pieces.

DSC02546-vi.jpg

Then the body was set aside and I started working on detailing the tires and wheels. All decals were added and then a light coat of dullcote for realism.

DSC02551-vi.jpg

Those were all of the details done before the project was put aside. Now that I am back to it I was able to get the body prepped for paint and paint added.

DSC05158-vi.jpg

And then the decaling process began. At this point I have the majority of the decals in place. They go on very good with some decal setting solution needed.

DSC05159-vi.jpg

DSC05160-vi.jpg

This is where I am at right now. Once the decals are all done the body will be set aside and work on the chassis will begin. I will add more updates within the next few days.

Edited by 1320wayne

Looking good Wayne, Keep going.... .its odd, but there are not a HUGE amount of Nascar fans over here, but keep going anyways!!!

DaveT

You're right Dave, there's only a couple of us!! :(

Decals look great Wayne! It's coming together nicely! Will this be a "wheels off" build? I noticed you drilled out the lug nuts.....

Jamie

Jamie, this will in fact be a wheels off displayed model. Thanks for looking.

Here are more pics.

The chassis is all done and painted.

DSC05169-vi.jpg

DSC05170-vi.jpg

DSC05171-vi.jpg

And parts of the front end are done.

DSC05172-vi.jpg

DSC05173-vi.jpg

Stay tuned for more pics. as I get them done.

Edited by 1320wayne

Like Mike, I am not a NASCAR builder, but builds like this are awe inspiring. I know what a pain PE can be from some of my armor and aircraft builds. Great start on this one, looking forward to seeing it finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics. of the engine so far. When I do a build such as this that requires so much extra detail, I try to keep the cost down on what I have to spend on aftermarket parts. Wherever possible I scratchbuild what I can. In this case I couldn't see spending the kind of money it costs for a set of aluminum pulleys for my engine.

Instead, what I did, was to utilize the kit pulleys, or more than one, and cut them apart, sand them smooth and use a saw blade for the X-acto and cut the belt grooves into each pulley.

The belt material is black, rubber elastic craft cord that I buy at craft stores in different diameters. I just cut off a piece, glue one end into an area of the pulley that won't show up after fianl assembly and then wrap the cord around the set of pulleys and glue the opposite end in place and cut off the excess.

Then finish it off with painting the pulleys and adding some photo etch barckets for the alternator and power steering pump.

DSC05229-vi.jpg

DSC05231-vi.jpg

DSC05232-vi.jpg

DSC05235-vi.jpg

DSC05236-vi.jpg

DSC05237-vi.jpg

Instead, what I did, was to utilize the kit pulleys, or more than one, and cut them apart, sand them smooth and use a saw blade for the X-acto and cut the belt grooves into each pulley.

The belt material is black, rubber elastic craft cord that I buy at craft stores in different diameters. I just cut off a piece, glue one end into an area of the pulley that won't show up after fianl assembly and then wrap the cord around the set of pulleys and glue the opposite end in place and cut off the excess.

FANTASTIC idea! Wow....I never thought of that....duh. Looks great, Wayne! It's coming along nicely....

Jamie

Hey Andy, thankfully this paint scheme was just a one-race deal. I feel that a lot of people would have gotten sick of seeing Spongebob if it had been there any longer.

I also agree with you on Gilbert Godfrey and annoying being synonymous with one another.

Thanks for looking.

Here is more. The engine is about complete and ready to go in. I added fuel lines, plug wires and boots and all of the oil lines to the pump.

DSC05238-vi.jpg

DSC05239-vi.jpg

DSC05240-vi.jpg

Then I went ahead and placed the engine into the chassis to make sure that everything would clear the frame rails and that everything could be wired and plumbed without any major hassles.

DSC05244-vi.jpg

Now I just need to finish the interior, trunk area and tie together all of the final details.

• Like 1

• 14 years later...