Model Cars Magazine Forum

? about fumes and oversray from booth venting

I know there's a lot of info and opinions out there about spray booths but I have a very basic question that I hope can be answered easily enough. The back story here is that I'm going to be moving into an apartment with no balcony or any real area that I can paint in. I'm thinking about buying a spray booth so I can continue to build. I'd have to vent this out of one of my windows and despite being on the third (top) floor, I'd hate to bug my neighbors with excessive fumes or overspray.

So my question is this: If I were to use a professional spraybooth i.e. a Pace booth, how strong are the fumes at the vent and with proper filtering is there any appreciable amount of overspray that could potentially bother my neighbors?

I'd probably be using mostly and airbrush but would use spray cans as well.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and thanks for taking the time to respond!

If you use a filter there will be very little, if any, overspray getting past it. And if you vent to the outdoors, the fumes will dissipate very quickly... in a matter of moments. And being on the top floor is the best place to be... any air movement at all will dissipate the fumes almost immediately. I can't imagine your neighbors ever being able to tell at all that you're painting.

Remember that adding a Filter will impede your airflow as will the addition of each foot of ducting.

Consider all this when choosing the CFM of your fan motor.

I have separate ducts running from each of 3 fans and everything is vented outside behind the house.

Whether you are using Waterbased, Waterborne, Lacquers or Enamels,

Air Pressure used,

How long you paint,

How much a filter (if you choose to use one) impedes your CFM at the intake,

How well your ducting is sealed,

All will determine how fast fumes dissipate