Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honda CB250(?) Revell Germany

i recently ran into what appeared to be a fairly vintage kit, of a Honda CB something or other, i think probably a 250, motorcycle model in 1.8 scale i believe. from the quick glance i got at it (i was with the lady) it looked to be Revell Germany and maybe from the mid 90s or so. the bike itself was from mid 60s and was not the "big bore" 450 or even the 350, something smaller maybe even a CB160. as i recall it had low pipes but im not sure about that.

any one recognize this description? do they come up on ebay often?

i assume they are good detail, right? and the scale would be perfect to match a Big T or similar!

i believe the model was in the neighborhood of 35$, that is to say, a pretty expensive neighborhood.

any advice on that one?

Hi Bill..................

Your memory of the kit is quite good. This is in fact an RoG version and it's offical titles are HONDA CB72, kit# 07926.

You're also right in assuming it's a vintage kit, although it is a good one. It's definately a product of its time but it was pretty cutting edge at that time too. It has a good parts count meaning good detail, the moulding and engraving is excellent - in total you could make a very good shelf model OOB, you could make a fantastic model just applying some basics of modelling technique. And it goes further, it would lend itself easily to a balls out super detailing project.

The kit as marketed is titled the "Super Sports" [250cc] but it would convert fairly easily to the "Super Hawk" [350cc]. The details are minor and fairly cosmetic.

Check out this excellent build, unusually not as a restoration but as a working commuter ride.

CB72_FrntRght.jpg

Finally the price...................... at one time these were dirt cheap and plentyful on ebay UK, they still appear quite regularly and usually get knocked down for well below retail - I got mine for about $15 a couple of years ago, so it may pay to shop around - they're not that rare.

They make a real change of pace [large scale motorcycles] and I'm enjoying myself immensely with them at the moment. The truth is I've just finished a Ducati and - honestly! Stood only last week with this Honda in one hand and a Triumph Tiger [another excellent kit] in the other - I'm building the Triumph as it happens.

Hope this of some help?.................... Andi

ok andi thanks a million for the info. ive also got the triumph tiger kit and maybe the same ducati kit you mention, and one of those norton manx kits from protar i think. havent built any of them but one day...

thanks for the info on the price too, given that i think i will let the one i saw sit for awhile and troll around on the 'bay for a better price.

by the way ive owned, over the course of many years, a cb160, a CL(i think it was) 350 Dream, and a CB (again as i recall) 450. nothing up to anywhere near the standard for a modern bike but still very cool street machines for around town or out in the open countryside (here being the foothills of the sierra nevada)