Model Cars Magazine Forum

Noobie alert help!

Hi I'm new to the model car world I have always been interested in it but just never had the time I went out and bought my first car the other day (golf mk2 revell) I manage to complete this the other night and have decided I want to carry on making them my main interest is with vw's and audi, 1:24 scale I want to start modifying them. I have read throw a couple of threads about where to buy parts but i have found they are mainly for American cars and race cars is there anyone else interested more in the dub scene?? And where can I buy parts?? Also I have only been able to manage to find golf mk2 a mk5 and a camper van in this area so if you no of any website where I can get a wider range that would be great

Certainly. I also concur with Joe. I didn't want to try a Tamiya kit until someone gave me the '66 Beetle kit. I swear it all but fell together. The engineering of these kits is astounding. You just have to be carefull with the really tiny parts. Sometimes they look like just a piece of excess plastic on the runner but it's really a part.

Yes I found that out already with the golf I throw the airiel away lol lucky it wasn't something more important. I noticed they do a golf in the fujimi kit and there's quiet a price differance is this due to the tamiya kit being a lot more detailed? Also while we're on the topic got any advice for which brands I should keep away for

Great thanks the golf that I'm looking at hasn't got the same engine as mine but I've seen a new beetle with the tdi in what's the chances I'd be able to swap engines? Both are tamiya for future reference would the brands make a difference if I was to swap parts

I'm hoping I can buy the engine seperate but will need to look into it more this is my last option since I want the golf to be a perfect replica

Edited by Bakeslad

Great thanks the golf that I'm looking at hasn't got the same engine as mine but I've seen a new beetle with the tdi in what's the chances I'd be able to swap engines? Both are tamiya for future reference would the brands make a difference if I was to swap parts

I'm hoping I can buy the engine desperate but will need to look into it more this is my last option since I want the golf to be a perfect replica

Both being Tamiya does help, but this is something that depends on a couple factors. Skill set or level, style of kits (are both glue or is one a snap) and obviously scale. For this swap if both kits share brand, scale and skill level it should swap over with little or no effort and modification. Basically if it can be swapped in 1:1, it should be no problem to swap in scale.