Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Molding?

i made a mold for a set of rims i need an extra set for and they did not turn out....and yes this was my first time attempting to cast my own parts....so yes i am very much a noob at this.....

so what i am asking is if there is someone willing to skype with me or something to show me what i am doing wrong...... or a very straight forward tutorial for making the mold and casting the part specifically for rims and wheels?

I want to make the assumption, that like most wheels cast in this manner, you poured silicone over the face, leaving a flat backside? Either way, more details about what you have done and some pictures might help. Here are some tips to start though. One: keep a toothpick handy. When you pour the resin run the toothpick around the circumference of the wheel to break up the bubbles around the lip and get them to rise to the surface. You can also use it to pop the bubbles that cause voids in the lug nut area. Two: Warm the mold for a bit in the oven at 150. Three: dusting the mold before pouring with baby powder will break the surface tension of the resin and help it flow. It will not affect the casting.

I did a 'How To' on my website, after having a go at the resin molding, I now have to remake the molds as they have worn out, who would have thought the stuff I was casting would have been so popular, I've even sent a few sets as far away as New Zealand

http://geoff-brown.webs.com/resin-casting-how-to

If I can help you further, just PM me