Model Cars Magazine Forum

Same Truck, Different Version

My last 2 models were of Old Number One, the 1st truck the Denton, TX Peterbilt factory built in 1980 then bought back and restored 20 years later.

My latest is the same truck, chassis #200000 but as looked before being bought back and restored.

The frame:

EMJframe.jpg

I weathered the frame using photos of the original truck as reference.

The body:

EMJ1.jpg

The real truck was in fairly straight condition with only the stepboard skirt panel (behind the fender) being

bent. The paint was chipped and worn, with the blue being chipped on the hood and cab cowl.

EMJtop.jpg

EMJ2.jpg

The finished truck:

EMJ_359_rh.jpg

I swapped the aircleaner from a Revell snap 359, the air cleaner cap from a Revell of Germany 359. The front wheels and tires are from the snap kit also. I grafted the outer rim onto the AMT wheel. The tire was glued to the rim (blasted poorly fitting tires :rolleyes: )

The Earle M. Jorgensen logos were hand drawn and text added on the computer, then printed on Bare Metal Foil inkjet decal paper.

EMJ359text.jpg

More photos are on my website under Recent Builds

Thanks for looking.

Tim

Tim,

One of the most important things I learned from you from the beginning, when I got back into model truck building and coming across your website...WAS DETAIL, DETAIL, and more DETAIL(s)..

This build is no different..I love the inside dashboard 'clutter"...now I know where the UPS letter envelope I sent you with your stuff in it went...(I used the post office)...

The "bent" tank step..very nice indeed...

You are an inspiration to many...and I told you many times before..you are the same to me as well.

Hammer down..and keep on building....

Kurt McLucas

Edited by Turbo590

Tim,

Another great idea. Love the before and after theme. A question. The original No 1 was it supplied from the factory in white, no sun visor etc or was it painted in the blue and white with sun visor. In other words did Peterbilt restore it to the condition as it left their works in accordance with the build specification? Do you have a copy of the build spec?

Superb Build! Look forward to your next one.

Best Wishes.

Dave

The truck left the factory white, no visor, painted rear 2 hole steel wheels, no LH fuel tank step, no horn snow-cap, white mud flaps, black exhaust elbow and stand pipe, painted Luberfiner and steering reservoir and no deck plating. The truck was restored to the original build sheet specs with the exception of the painted headlight shells and the later-year style chassis warning decals at the rear of the frame.

Tim

Tim,

Another great idea. Love the before and after theme. A question. The original No 1 was it supplied from the factory in white, no sun visor etc or was it painted in the blue and white with sun visor. In other words did Peterbilt restore it to the condition as it left their works in accordance with the build specification? Do you have a copy of the build spec?

Superb Build! Look forward to your next one.

Best Wishes.

I'll second that. Well if they cann,t maybe we could or more precisely we know someone in St Ignace Michigan could (Certainly in 1/24 or 1/25 Scale). But seriously does anyone have any details or information for the last 359 to roll of the production line. I have seen the odd one or two 359s for sale on Truckpaper.com, where the owners claim them to be year 2000 or 2005, 359 Peterbilt. But I don't know how this can be since checking on Tims web site the last 359 was built in 1987.

Edited by Old Albion

Dave

The last 359 was built in January 1987, any of the '00 or '05 listings are incorrect and are usually mislabeled 379s.

Tim

I'll second that. Well if they cann,t maybe we could or more precisely we know someone in St Ignace Michigan could (Certainly in 1/24 or 1/25 Scale). But seriously does anyone have any details or information for the last 359 to roll of the production line. I have seen the odd one or two 359s for sale on Truckpaper.com, where the owners claim them to be year 2000 or 2005, 359 Peterbilt. But I don't know how this can be since checking on Tims web site the last 359 was built in 1987.