Model Cars Magazine Forum

Restoration Early Amt Peterbilt 359

I managed to buy this Peterbilt off Ebay a few months back and had it sent to me here in New Zealand. It was already built but it was in need of a major rebuild. when auctioned.

I had no idea it would be the sought after Peterbilt with the Detriot V8 untill I unrapped the bubble rap and saw the engine half hanging out of the chassie.

I was even lucky enough to have been sent the original instructions which I have very carefuly put away.

I intend mainly to rebuild it to original spec. I have replaced the glass with evergreen clear sheet as the kit glass was way to thick and after 35 Years of being knocked around it needed replacing.

I hope you all enjoy my project and I hope to have some more pictures soon.

Cheers

John

post-451-1192765929_thumb.jpg

Edited by ultraliner13

• 2 weeks later...

post-451-1193635521_thumb.jpg

Well here is the latest update from last time. I beleave I have nearly finished her but I may have to use some non genuine kit parts as there are a few missing.

A good little joke on me was trying to find the hood hinges. I went through the box several times with no luck. My other half told me to look at the instructions. To my shock and relief there are no hood hinges you just have to use manual labour to lift the hood off.

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

John

John

The 359 looks good.

AMT never designed hood hinges for the kit, much like some of their model cars at the time. The Ford LN kits are the same way.

Tim

Well here is the latest update from last time. I beleave I have nearly finished her but I may have to use some non genuine kit parts as there are a few missing.

A good little joke on me was trying to find the hood hinges. I went through the box several times with no luck. My other half told me to look at the instructions. To my shock and relief there are no hood hinges you just have to use manual labour to lift the hood off.

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

John

The T501 issue introduced in the mid-70's has hood hinges. So do all subsequent issues of the Peterbilt 359.

I believe it was a result of the TV show "Movin' On", starring Claude Akins & Frank Converse, which premiered in 1974. AMT released a "Movin' On" version of their Kenworth W-900 kit, and soon, they upgraded a number of their truck kits: GMC Astro/Chevy Titan, Peterbilt 359, White Road Boss, etc... These reissued kits included any of the following: CB radio, dragfoiler, new decals, new engine, etc... In the 359's case, it even got a new larger-window 1100 series cab + a larger bumper & new grille to bring the kit into the 70's. However, some of AMT's kits went on without these upgrades, such as the Peterbilt 352.

Edited by ABC Auto Industry

John,

The 359 looks great. The little window 359s are my favourite. I have plans to build a Little Window 359 with an extended hood as a heavy hauler in the near future. This little restoration gives me ideas.

I've never attempted a restoration but can only have admiration for the efforts of those who do. This one looks like a new build.

Well Done!

I have finaly finished rebuilding this grand old lady and given her a new lease of life.

The sun was out to day so out came the camera.

Thanks to you all who left positive messages of support. Thanks to those also who look the time to have a quick look.

Cheers

I have another restoration project to undertake as soon as I have cleaned up my work bench.

John Wilson

post-451-1194833198_thumb.jpg

post-451-1194833228_thumb.jpg

post-451-1194833249_thumb.jpg

post-451-1194833270_thumb.jpg

post-451-1194833286_thumb.jpg

post-451-1194833313_thumb.jpg