Model Cars Magazine Forum

The lenco transmission

I've been trying to learn how one works and after reading many articles I'm still confused. the way I read it.

1. Green light

2. Release the clutch (only time you do so)

3. Pull back levers as needed without the clutch.

http://www.lencoracing.com/HowaLENCOworksandRATIOSmaster.html this was the article that was most helpful.

Now I read on one site that it doesn't matter which order you pull the levers. ???

I do understand the whole sun gear with the plantary gears part but I don't understand much after that. So from what I read Each case is two speeds a direct drive and an underdrive. Here is where I get confused. Correct me if this is wrong. You start out in direct then pull lever on first case and you have an underdrive then next case is back to direct? Can anybody explain this so this monkey can understand it?

You have it backwards. As you've already found out, each section has 2 speeds, Underdrive and Direct. When taking off, each section starts out in Underdrive, pulling the lever shifts it into Direct. The effect of the stacked sections is cumulative, so you would have to shift all the sections into Direct to get to the final ratio of 1:1. There is also an extra section that allows for Reverse.