Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes-Benz 500 K 1936 Special Roadster, Heller 1/24 kit

debaronFR

I'm in my Mercedes period! in fact i'm working on a diorama with a Messerchmidt BF 109 G6 1/24 scale with figures, and i want to add a Mercedes of this area. I already built a Revell and Italeri Mercedes 540 K kits, but I want to try this unfamous french kit by Heller manufacturer.

13061212351616079111285403.jpg

i don't see anything wrong in review kit, only doors and interior in chromed parts

13061212351616079111285404.jpg

starting the work, my first surprise is to cement the two parts of the rear body. Plastic is tender, so with some plastic card pieces it will be easy to renforce junction.

13061205223616079111286163.jpg

Wow. Seems like they chromed ALL of any piece that had chrome on it, instead of molding separate chrome pieces. Looks like you have a lot of work ahead.

Are you making any progress on the 1/16 300 SL cabrio? I'm hoping to see more.

Wow. Seems like they chromed ALL of any piece that had chrome on it, instead of molding separate chrome pieces. Looks like you have a lot of work ahead.

With very careful masking, it actually works surprisingly well. I built one of these about eight years ago, long before I discovered forums such as this (& the invaluable FAQs, tips etc) when I was still very much a novice. It's not a bad kit at all, and the multipart body didn't cause any problems, even though it was only about the third or fourth kit I'd built (ignoring my childhood disasters). The only thing I would criticise about it is the wheels, as the rims fit very proud of the sidewalls, which doesn't look right. Incidentally, the rolling chassis has better detailed than the 1:16 540K kit (I think made by Gakken or similar) but I can't compare it to the Monogram versions as I haven't built those.

you're right about chromed parts, i's an unsual way to make cheap parts! but not very different with others 70s model cars kits (only Monogram, the regreat "school" of popular model cars kits)

about 1/16 300 SL cabriolet, i meet troubles with paints of body parts, so I have to repaint theses.

Still working on the engine and mechanic parts. pictures in few days!

I built this kit maybe 20 years ago. I found that I did not like the "look" of the headlamp assembly. I have yet to correct that item on my model though I always intended to replace the Heller headlamp assembly with a (much superior) set from a Johan kit. I solved the wheel problem by stripping the chrome and painting the wheels. I liked the painted wire wheel look better.

I will follow this build with interest!

Eric

With very careful masking, it actually works surprisingly well. I built one of these about eight years ago, long before I discovered forums such as this (& the invaluable FAQs, tips etc) when I was still very much a novice. It's not a bad kit at all, and the multipart body didn't cause any problems, even though it was only about the third or fourth kit I'd built (ignoring my childhood disasters). The only thing I would criticise about it is the wheels, as the rims fit very proud of the sidewalls, which doesn't look right. Incidentally, the rolling chassis has better detailed than the 1:16 540K kit (I think made by Gakken or similar) but I can't compare it to the Monogram versions as I haven't built those.

I have same feelings about wheels, with others Revell and Italeri 1/24 kits. so I believe it's about the original car, or bad 1/24 plans they used all? I will tell you in few months!

I built this kit maybe 20 years ago. I found that I did not like the "look" of the headlamp assembly. I have yet to correct that item on my model though I always intended to replace the Heller headlamp assembly with a (much superior) set from a Johan kit. I solved the wheel problem by stripping the chrome and painting the wheels. I liked the painted wire wheel look better.

Eric

The most impressive 500K kit in 1/24-25 is the Jo-Han 500K Roadster Limousine (let me know if you want info on this infamous car). Beautifully molded and detailed in the original Gold Cup version, not so good in the reissued version with a red body.

Eric

ok! i didn't understand it is about rims! better soluce will be find PE rims! but not so easy!

about headlamps, have a friend who build it in alumium metal. i'll ask him in case.

The most impressive 500K kit in 1/24-25 is the Jo-Han 500K Roadster Limousine (let me know if you want info on this infamous car). Beautifully molded and detailed in the original Gold Cup version, not so good in the reissued version with a red body.

of course we appreciate to know more, don't know a lot about Jo-Han, only very precious models, as the Bugatti Royale "Binder coupé de Ville".

Some pictures of the work in progress.

rims too fat...

13061406500216079111292904.jpg

finished to joint rear body

13061406500116079111292899.jpg

13061406500116079111292898.jpg

started to paint interior with tissue carpets, in "Bleu de Payne" color (final scheme will be "Oriental Blue" with light blue interior)

13061406500116079111292900.jpg

and detailed engine

13061406500216079111292902.jpg

that's all today!

Looking good. Is the mesh on the air filter molded that way, or did you add it? Very precise.

As for the wheels, Mercedes collectors just hate chrome wire wheels on this car, which were never sold by the factory that way in stock -- only special order. They prefer body color or silver paint. Be careful of PE wire wheels -- most that I see are for the Ferrari 1/24 GTO, and have larger and a much deeper dish for the rear wheels.

Edited by sjordan2

Looking good. Is the mesh on the air filter molded that way, or did you add it? Very precise.

As for the wheels, Mercedes collectors just hate chrome wire wheels on this car, which were never sold by the factory that way in stock -- only special order. They prefer body color or silver paint. Be careful of PE wire wheels -- most that I see are for the Ferrari 1/24 GTO, and have larger and a much deeper dish for the rear wheels.

I added the mesh. it's a small filter for water system.

I saw KA-Model wire wheels but no precision of the size, only "for Italeri, Revell, Fujimi" and no more indications about the kits.

a Heller favorite detailed part, the direction! 5 arms articulation! you should use molten plastic to join, but too small to do it...

13061604302316079111297612.jpg

13061604302316079111297613.jpg

engine detailed

13061604302316079111297615.jpg

13061604302316079111297614.jpg

now i have to sand the 4 rims!

Edited by debaronFR

Good choice. As you'll see in this recently posted build in Under Glass, Monogram is definitely better. The Testors Italeri 540K Tourer might be slightly better than that, but requires a lot of clean-up. While the Heller classics are nicely done, their wire wheels leave a lot to be desired.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76633

Edited by sjordan2

Gasnier do you have a photo reference recommendation? I have the Johan '34 MB 500K roadster and I've been looking for engine/chassis reference shots.

Just an FYI... his first name is Francois, his surname is Gasnier. He listed it as last name first, a common European way of doing it.

Gasnier do you have a photo reference recommendation? I have the Johan '34 MB 500K roadster and I've been looking for engine/chassis reference shots.

I Have not special reference, but I'll post some pictures of the parts you want to see.

Rob, Francois may have better reference than I do, but I have quite a bit and will be happy to send whatever you need. One thing I just noticed is that the air filter on this kit is vertical, meaning it's a 540K and not 500K. It should be horizontal as on the Spezial roadster shown below. (On Pocher kits, the engine and chassis are all 500K and not 540K as claimed.)

500Kspezialeng2copy_zps049cfce5.png

You will find a lot of very nice detail shots at www.schlegelmilch.com

When the home page loads, click on Automobile picture archive. Then, from the menu at the left, select Mercedes; for model, select 500K Special-roadster. You can view larger versions of the images if you register at the site (it's free).

The Jo-Han kit is 1/25 and has the correct engine. (I have the Roadster Limousine -- hardtop coupe). For more reference, you can download (free) the Pocher instructions at

http://www.modelmotorcars.com/html/useful_info/manuals/manuals_home.htm

Edited by sjordan2