Model Cars Magazine Forum

1-8 '69 nitrous pro mod camaro

comp1839

henry, thanks.

chris, always a pleasure to hear from you my friend!

dirk, thanks, buddy!

joe, thanks! the tubing diameter i used was 5/16". scales up to 2.5" tubing. which is a little small but, as close as i could get. plastruct sells 90deg. and 45 dec. bends. for any of the bends that i couldn't use a pre-bend i either hand bent or used the fixture in one of the previous pics. i posted. for instance all of the bends used to make the collectors were bent in my fixture. i hope this answers your question. feel free to ask more.

Edited by comp1839

just thought i'd throw this out there. i did made a set of headers from stainless steel one time. tig'd them up. they were such P.I.T.A. i never did them again.

i dug one them out for viewing. the collector was made by heating the stainless tubing and pressing over a mandrel that i made. i have the mandrel somewhere. anyway,plastic tubing is soooo much easier to work with. i stopped trying to make stainless ones.

DSCN4838_zpsee3acb90.jpg

DSCN4839_zps5c85e90b.jpg

Edited by comp1839

Stainless is difficult to work with but it doesn't rust and polishes great. I make most of my suspension components from 316.

45% silver solder works great to join parts and if you flow it in rather than pile it on, it blends in to the parent metal.

I have been wanting to try laser welding on some of the parts like brackets etc but I live too far from a company who will

let me use their machine. Ever had any dealings with laser welding?

Your rig is coming along great.

joe, no problem on the info. one of the reasons i hang around.

david, stainless is a very pretty metal. i love the luster it creates. too bad it is such a ball breaker to work with. haven't had the chance to get involved with any laser welding. closest we get to at work are some of our suppliers laser cut our stainless parts.

mark, thanks a ton!!!!

scott, there's a matching header somewhere in my basement. i happened to stumble onto this sunday night looking for a tool i misplaced. i can tell you there won't be a new pair any time in the near future!! hehe!

joe, they are 3-d, so to speak. they have thickness. my understanding is they actually print a resin "eyebrow" so to speak onto a waterslide backing. they also make rivets, arc welds, louvers, all kinds of stuff in all kinds of scales.