Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Two words Tree trimmer?.Three new neighbors just moved in and they have been cutting all their trees down.We are talking nice big old trees...

My last place had huge old trees that shaded it from the sun very well in summer. They did such a great job, all I usually had to do to keep the place in the 70s during the hottest part of the year was run the exhaust-fan at night, fill the house with cool air, and close the windows in the morning.

My homeowner's insurance people did a surprise inspection and said I'd have to remove all the overhanging trees or they'd cancel me. I said do it, found different coverage 'til I left.

Anyway, the new owners cut down every dammed one of them. The place used to be shady and cool and inviting. Now it looks like a desert. And I bet their summer cooling bill is at least $300 per month.

2 hours ago, Danno said:

We have a similar problem here. People fleeing a certain unnamed state’s unimaginable taxes, outrageous cost of living and spiraling social apocalypse move here . . . Then shortly after arrival they begin demanding we remake our state to be like the one they fled. 

Yeah, as I'm going to be a permanent resident there myself shortly, I'm kinda concerned with that. The whole point of going to Az. was that Az. was Az.

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ha ha,You are exactly right....Plant,don’t cut trees.Ah he’ll probably get some bratty kid from the neighborhood to rake his leaves for twenty bucks and a glass of water.

Ha!  The brats in this neighborhood all drive BMWs!  

And he has a bratty kid. Pretty much sure he's the one that caused mischief in my pool.

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My last place had huge old trees that shaded it from the sun very well in summer. They did such a great job, all I usually had to do to keep the place in the 70s during the hottest part of the year was run the exhaust-fan at night, fill the house with cool air, and close the windows in the morning.

My homeowner's insurance people did a surprise inspection and said I'd have to remove all the overhanging trees or they'd cancel me. I said do it, found different coverage 'til I left.

Anyway, the new owners cut down every dammed one of them. The place used to be shady and cool and inviting. Now it looks like a desert. And I bet their summer cooling bill is at least $300 per month.

Is this Georgia or Arizona? So many people are cutting down trees just to make their yards look like golf course and the trees was nont a danger to anything...

8 minutes ago, slusher said:

Is this Georgia or Arizona? So many people are cutting down trees just to make their yards look like golf course and the trees was nont a danger to anything...

Georgia. Though I have the property in Az., I haven't moved yet.

I won't cut a tree down unless it's really dangerous. I did have to take down two huge dead pines on the Ga. property I'm on now, but as they were dead, no problem.

8 hours ago, Danno said:

We have a similar problem here. People fleeing a certain unnamed state’s unimaginable taxes, outrageous cost of living and spiraling social apocalypse move here . . . Then shortly after arrival they begin demanding we remake our state to be like the one they fled. 

There's actually a term for such people: Locusts. 

My son had the same problem with the insurance company , they paid for a new roof and said all the overhanging tree limbs had to be removed . We rented a lift and cut just the limbs that were over the house in an afternoon , left the rest to shade it .

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

There's actually a term for such people: Locusts. 

We have a couple of stronger words . . .

Same thing happened to Colorado. In the 80’s a popular bumper sticker was: “Don’t Californicate Colorado.”  Unfortunately, they did.  

14 hours ago, Danno said:

BINGO!

I'm a native Zonie, was getting annoyed at people on Fecesbook in a Prescott group saying something like "I moved here to get away from crazy growth, need to stop ruining my town!"  I posted this meme, and was promptly blocked from that group.  ?

Closed Gate.jpg

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

BINGO!

I'm a native Zonie, was getting annoyed at people on Fecesbook in a Prescott group saying something like "I moved here to get away from crazy growth, need to stop ruining my town!" 

You reminded me of one of the funniest lines on SNL in the last decade. The "Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation With at a Party" (who is white) said, with a straight face, "I wanna go see Cuba before white people ruin it." :lol::lol::lol:

I miss GYWYHSACWAAP, but we'll never see her again. It turns out that the character was an amazingly accurate (if completely unintentional) impression of an individual you now see on the news almost every day.  :unsure:

Reminds me of a story....

My wife and I once took a vacation in the Pennsylvania Pocono Mountains.  We rented a cozy cabin in a gated community that had sold quarter acre lots where people built neat little chalets and other woodsie homes that were completely surrounded by trees.  A pleasant little place.

We were looking for the community pool and were driving down the main road.  We saw people walking and asked for directions.  The guy said, "Drive until you see the blue house. Turn left there."   Okay.  So we drove a while and were wondering what "blue house" meant. All the houses had natural wood siding.  So we are looking at each house intently, may be a blue door?  We saw more people walking and asked again.  They said, "Drive until you see the blue house. Turn left there."    Still puzzled we drove on.

All of a sudden there is a big opening in the tree canopy overhead!  And there was a huge two story house with bright BLUE aluminum siding.  The lot was completely bare of trees and any plants, and was covered with beige stone.  The house had bars on all the first floor windows and doors.  Big Virgin Mary cement statue out front.  The barren lot was completely surrounded with chain link fence, and you'd have to unlock a gate to get into the driveway.   Man!  What an eyesore!  It looked like it had been lifted from Staten Island!  

We turned left.

This phone call I just received from phone number 518-901-8114. A robo call which said...

"HI, I'm from your mortgage company and want to know, can you hear me ok?

I said "no".

I've heard about these calls where they want to record you saying "yes". Then they use that recorded "yes" fraudulently. Just putting the word out there. Be ware.

16 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I just hang up without saying anything on the rare occassions I get one of those calls.

I get 4 5 or more a day. I’m alway in NoMoRoBo and the Fed do not call list websites. We can send a man to the moon but not stop these annoying calls. One call had my own number as the calling number. Who can figure that out?

If I don't know the number when someone calls I just don't answer. If it's a real call they will leave a message. Then every evening I go onto the Kansas State No Call Site and list the number date and time of the call. I just don't seem to get as many calls as I used to. 

27 minutes ago, espo said:

If I don't know the number when someone calls I just don't answer. If it's a real call they will leave a message. Then every evening I go onto the Kansas State No Call Site and list the number date and time of the call. I just don't seem to get as many calls as I used to. 

Another call. Same message. Different number. 

On 10/10/2019 at 7:27 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Ugh. Power unit failed on my PC; lasted four years while the previous one lasted 11. Using my dad's machine (which is newer, at least). Thank goodness I still have a local guy who'll service old machines.

Looks like you are in good hands, and that old PC will brought back to life again!  I am my own "computer guy", and still have a PC running Windows 98SE (to run my Alps printer).  It is probably the same age as yours (and yes, I replaced parts in it - even had to replace bunch of toasted electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard).

Your "power unit" also gave me a chuckle. It sounded like some part in a spaceship (something that might be said in a Star Trek or Star Wars movie). Seems like you are describing a power supply.

Uh, yeah... little brain freeze there. I'm really hoping my guy can take care of it - looks like a $30-something part plus labor. I did a backup about a month ago so hopefully no losses. Thing is I'm running XP because (a) I have gotten very used to the ArcSoft photo software in it, (b) my file access is all very easy and logical, and (c) I'm cheap. That old Compaq is paid for.

One thing about XP that irks me: Can't access my Flickr account with it. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Uh, yeah... little brain freeze there. I'm really hoping my guy can take care of it - looks like a $30-something part plus labor. I did a backup about a month ago so hopefully no losses. Thing is I'm running XP because (a) I have gotten very used to the ArcSoft photo software in it, (b) my file access is all very easy and logical, and (c) I'm cheap. That old Compaq is paid for.

One thing about XP that irks me: Can't access my Flickr account with it. 

I hear you loud and clear!

But if you ever have to upgrade your hardware (and want to access your Flicker account on the same PC which runs ArcSoft) you can take the PC with newwer OS (like Windows 7 or 10) and install Oracle VM Virtual Box free software.  It makes it really easy to create a virtual machine running on your new PC and then install older OS in that virtual machine.  At work we use Windows 10, but I installed the Virtual Box and then created a Windows XP virtual machine, so I can run both OSs together (and I can share files between them).

Today I was going through my truck because I have a very bad misfire and when I opened the hood I notice that my coolant was almost completely empty and my oil was low so after talking to some people I have come to the construction that my head gasket is bad and the only way that I can fix it is if I pull the cab off the frame. My truck has over 300,000km on it but it still is a little frustrating.