Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?


LokisTyro

Recommended Posts

Got a second recall notice on my 2022 F-150.  The first was back in May and concerned the possibility of my tailgate latch failing which could cause loss of cargo possibly causing an accident behind me.  That one is still on hold until FORD can get the parts to fix it.  Today's recall involved the electrical emergency-brake wiring harness possibly chaffing and causing an unexpected lock-up of the emergency brake. That one is also awaiting parts to become available for a fix. What irks me is the time spent waiting for a part that in my opinion should not be that difficult to source.  Sure hope I can get my Pinto out of the body shop soon, I will feel much safer driving it.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Hey TJ.. Sorry I had forgotten to tap the follow button so I had no idea a question was asked. The chrome tree is from the AMT Sunbeam Tiger kit. 

Probably my fault for not quoting you! I looked on ebay to see if someone might be selling parts to that kit, but didn't have any luck....... Sometimes though, you'll catch one selling maybe a built up or junk build that you could use parts from..... or just ask here!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Probably my fault for not quoting you! I looked on ebay to see if someone might be selling parts to that kit, but didn't have any luck....... Sometimes though, you'll catch one selling maybe a built up or junk build that you could use parts from..... or just ask here!

I've been hunting on eBay but no luck as of yet. The cheapest kit is more than i want to pay for the grille and I haven't seen any gluebombs either. I have patience and I'll score one sooner or later. It was just such a let down that it was missing from a new sealed kit.. Thanks for the suggestions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's irk or let down.. As I've said before I do use eBay and I've never had any issues. That changed this morning when I saw the new release of the AMT '65 Chevelle awb was available. $29.99 + $10.00 shipping... Sounded doable to me. long story short.. I bought it.. With in the hour the seller had refunded the total amount due to I had apparently bought the last one and it was badly damaged.. What a bummer..😞 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have two side doors and the Amazon driver left my parcel outside my fence on the sidewalk. He was too lazy to open the gate and walk another 5 steps to my doorstep. It is obviously not an enclosed yard that may harbour a dog. If I hadn’t checked online I would never have known it was delivered. Their customer service is terrible. Their chat feature won’t allow you to type anything…it only allows you to choose from their predetermined responses.🤬 Rant over!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

I have two side doors and the Amazon driver left my parcel outside my fence on the sidewalk. He was too lazy to open the gate and walk another 5 steps to my doorstep. It is obviously not an enclosed yard that may harbour a dog. If I hadn’t checked online I would never have known it was delivered. Their customer service is terrible. Their chat feature won’t allow you to type anything…it only allows you to choose from their predetermined responses.🤬 Rant over!

Although it could be laziness on the part of the driver it could also be the driver is being pushed to deliver more packages in a short time frame. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I was reading the eBay  Board and a lady came there for help.

She said she found a 2005 Honda on Facebook Marketplace for $1000.  The seller told her that eBay would complete the transaction and to buy $1000 worth of eBay gift cards.  She transmitted the numbers to them.  She thought all was well until the scammer came back and wanted another $1000 for shipping.  Sad part was that she borrowed the $1000 to buy her son a car so he could get to work.  

The folks on the board had to explain to her what had occurred.  I feel bad for her, kinda bummed my day!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Today I was reading the eBay  Board and a lady came there for help.

She said she found a 2005 Honda on Facebook Marketplace for $1000.  The seller told her that eBay would complete the transaction and to buy $1000 worth of eBay gift cards.  She transmitted the numbers to them.  She thought all was well until the scammer came back and wanted another $1000 for shipping.  Sad part was that she borrowed the $1000 to buy her son a car so he could get to work.  

The folks on the board had to explain to her what had occurred.  I feel bad for her, kinda bummed my day!  

Unfortunately there are so many unscrupulous people these days. And it is also unfortunate that people don't ask questions before they act; instead they ask them after the fact.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Today I was reading the eBay  Board and a lady came there for help.

She said she found a 2005 Honda on Facebook Marketplace for $1000.  The seller told her that eBay would complete the transaction and to buy $1000 worth of eBay gift cards.  She transmitted the numbers to them.  She thought all was well until the scammer came back and wanted another $1000 for shipping.  Sad part was that she borrowed the $1000 to buy her son a car so he could get to work.  

The folks on the board had to explain to her what had occurred.  I feel bad for her, kinda bummed my day!  

I feel for that lady…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any method of payment that involves gift cards, or PayPal "friends and family" (cheaper/free, but no possibility of a refund) should be a tipoff for anybody.  And if you propose a legit payment method, and the "seller" balks at it, there's another red flag.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mark said:

Any method of payment that involves gift cards, or PayPal "friends and family" (cheaper/free, but no possibility of a refund) should be a tipoff for anybody.  And if you propose a legit payment method, and the "seller" balks at it, there's another red flag.

Exactly!  Any person who has half a brain should be well aware by now that any transaction requiring payments using gift cars is a scam.  I feel bad for the lady but come on . . .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

How poorly we honor fellow modelers and automotive icons on the site. We get a constant flow of every celebrity that passes but when a fellow Modeler or automotive icon hardly creates a ripple in the pool.

I've been tired of this celebrity death notices here for a long time (I almost got banned for voicing my dissatisfaction).  Why should we care when they depart this Earth?  This whole celebrity thing irks me.  So does glorifying sports figures.  They play games and get many millions of dollars salaries.  Scientists should be getting that kind of money, not some jocks for running with a ball across a field.

 

Edit:
after posting this I read another thread down the forum, and it is a perfect example of a profession that should be making the big bucks, not some sports figures or celebrities:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/185306-ironic-sad-911-milestone -think-about-this-please/

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, peteski said:

Exactly!  Any person who has half a brain should be well aware by now that any transaction requiring payments using gift cars is a scam.  I feel bad for the lady but come on . . .

Question Pete..🤔.. Does that mean gift cards are out of the equation for payment on those bandit decals?  Lol.. And I couldn't have said any better than you just did on the celebrity and sports bs.. They need us to live that life style, we don't need them. I left the games long ago...✌🤓

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since this is the what irks you page and it's not my intention to stir up trouble by talking about such a sore and restricted subject but I want to bring attention to an observation of mine with Covid and dementia. I know a lot of us here are not youngsters and some many have preexisting medical issues that can cause severe complications to us or our family members. That being said my warning is to those of us who may be dealing with a family member who may have Dementia or Alzheimer's. My dad was diagnosed almost a year ago with dementia. Recently he and I had come in contact with the Covid virus. I being in decent health weathered it well but my dad not so much. I saw a mental decline in a matter of a few days. He has become more confused and at times completely dumbfounded. He has started to make grunting noises instead of talking although he can still talk, he has completely forgotten how to bathe, all within a few days..😞 So my warning is please be very careful and to use every precaution not to bring this virus to our elderly family members. There may not be a good outcome for them. Thanks for hearing me and I hope everyone stays safe.. Mike

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike, my mother-in-law had dementia. We found out from her doctor that some folks have trouble swallowing and tend to aspirate a small amount of food or beverage. As a result of that she had quite a few bouts with bacterial pneumonia. She would recover from that, but her mental abilities never really came back to the state she was before the pneumonia. 

Really sorry to hear about your dad's condition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Mike, my mother-in-law had dementia. We found out from her doctor that some folks have trouble swallowing and tend to aspirate a small amount of food or beverage. As a result of that she had quite a few bouts with bacterial pneumonia. She would recover from that, but her mental abilities never really came back to the state she was before the pneumonia. 

Really sorry to hear about your dad's condition.

Thanks.. I thought I was taking all the right precautions in keeping him safe from the virus but apparently not. Its tough to watch. His mental deterioration was so swift with this virus. He has become substantially weaker and almost lethargic. Sleep is all he wants to do now and sleeping too much is his worst enemy. Its like fighting an up hill battle that you already know the out come of but you have to keep on fighting. Stay safe... Steve 

Ps.. Eventually I'll get back to being able to build and become a productive participant of this incredible forum instead of an answer asking stooge.. ✌🤓

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People and businesses that assume everyone wants to use Facebook. Any Facebook page needs a good public page to share some information. I have zero interest in signing up if I can't get some info easily. Otherwise I'm expected to give information to have the honor of getting the info I'm looking for. No thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stupid regulations. We had our pool remodeled about 5 years ago. Got the door alarms and had the inspection. Thought we were done. Then we recently added car charger to the house. Turns out they couldn't get the permit because the pool permit was not on the record as complete. We did not have our copy. Arrg. Go back and do it again. First inspection - failed. The door alarms we got that emitted a loud DING DONG when opened were not the right ones even though they were sold as such. Plus we needed GFI switches at the fuse box. Pool guy installed the switches and we got the correct alarms. Reinspection charge  - 80.00. The new alarms emit a ultra loud shrieking much like a car alarm. It is ear piercing. The instruction say to mount them high so kids can not deactivate them. That puts them right about ear level. Oh- The warning on the alarms says do not activate them near your ear. GEEEZ. One other thing. You can do a 2 minute disable to exit the house, but no such switch is on the other side. So anytime you walk in, you get blasted in the ear. We passed. The deafening alarms went away. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Stupid regulations. We had our pool remodeled about 5 years ago. Got the door alarms and had the inspection. Thought we were done. Then we recently added car charger to the house. Turns out they couldn't get the permit because the pool permit was not on the record as complete. We did not have our copy. Arrg. Go back and do it again. First inspection - failed. The door alarms we got that emitted a loud DING DONG when opened were not the right ones even though they were sold as such. Plus we needed GFI switches at the fuse box. Pool guy installed the switches and we got the correct alarms. Reinspection charge  - 80.00. The new alarms emit a ultra loud shrieking much like a car alarm. It is ear piercing. The instruction say to mount them high so kids can not deactivate them. That puts them right about ear level. Oh- The warning on the alarms says do not activate them near your ear. GEEEZ. One other thing. You can do a 2 minute disable to exit the house, but no such switch is on the other side. So anytime you walk in, you get blasted in the ear. We passed. The deafening alarms went away. 

Wish that would have been the regulation here in 2015 when we lost our grandson Isaac.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am so sorry about your grandson, Johnny. 

I should have finished my point. We did not have a problem with the loud Ding Dong alarms, and you could hear them throughout the entire house. I would imagine a lot of people with pools and kids would want to keep them. The high decimal sirens located on the door frame right by your ear probably get taken off before the inspector hits the end of the driveway. It just does not make sense.

I don't usually rail on about the government, but this one should be about effective regulations over dumb regulations.

I wish your family the best. 

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...