Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corsair Converted To A Land Speed Car

59 Impala

This plane was given to me by a friend of my wifes. It had some pieces missing and it was either throw it away or try and save it. Well, I had this idea for making a land speed car out of it and this is what I've come up with. There's still a lot of work to be done, so, here are some pics of it. Hope ya like

This is the begining

DSC01880.jpg

DSC01881.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

More pics to come. Thanks fer lookin. Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

Not to deter you but you will need to adjust the wings. If that were to be a real attempt at a land speed it would literally take off. But, it would not go too far up as it would probably flip and then...... Those wings still have too much lift. I am no expert, but you should either remove them, or change the angles at which they sit. Cool idea though, and I love the fact that a Warthog donated its heart.

Edited by Enzoenvy1

Thanks for your input. If you look on the top of the wings, you will see a rectangle scribed into the top of the wing. This is to represent a kind of flap that raises up, at speed, to to break up the air flow so there won't be any lift. Something like on the top of the nascar cars. Dan

Thanks for your input. If you look on the top of the wings, you will see a rectangle scribed into the top of the wing. This is to represent a kind of flap that raises up, at speed, to to break up the air flow so there won't be any lift. Something like on the top of the nascar cars. Dan

Dan, I think he's right. There would be enough lift at anything near the LSR to raise that fuselage off the salt, disastrously. A raising flap would only serve to slow the vehicle, not destroy all that lift, it seems to me.

That said, it is your project, should be interesting.

Biscuitbuilder

Thanks guys. I've had discussions with the airplane guys in my club and they all told me that if you install flaps on top of the wings that would open up as you increase speed that that would break up the airflow and no lift would occur. I'm no expert, and I'm just having fun with this build. One thing is for sure and that is this is definetly different. Maybe it's just for looks and not to try and go for a speed record. ;) Dan

Thanks guys. I've had discussions with the airplane guys in my club and they all told me that if you install flaps on top of the wings that would open up as you increase speed that that would break up the airflow and no lift would occur. I'm no expert, and I'm just having fun with this build. One thing is for sure and that is this is definetly different. Maybe it's just for looks and not to try and go for a speed record. :D Dan

B) Why wings at all?

No problem E :rolleyes: . I can use all the help I can get. I am going to change the location of the wheels as Bill (s10man) suggested. I have taken more pics of this and you can see where I think I'm going to install the wheels. I also have installed pcs on the end of the wingy things :angry:B) . Here are the pics. Hope ya enjoy.

corsair20.jpg

corsair21.jpg

corsair22.jpg

These pics are just the mock ups of where they will be going. Thanks fer lookin. Dan

Now this is coming along nicely. I am loving it actually. I think the "wingy things" are fuel pods that would have been under the wings. Drop tanks are what I think they were called. ######, here I go again, I will stop. This thing looks great though. Are you doind a flashy paint job or the old traditional Corsair blue? That would look cool if you painted it exactly like the service plane wit the stars on it.