Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thermo King Reefer Unit.

Does anyone cast the Thermo King reefer unit with fuel tank and battery/electric boxes from the old Ertl Great Dane Reefer Trailer in resin??

-

I need a couple of the old style Thermo King units for a couple of upcomming TV and Movie truck projects of mine, I'm planning to build the Smokie & The Bandit truck and trailer, and the BJ & The Bear truck and trailer and both trailers has the old style Thermo King units..

As far as I know the Ertl #8033 Great Dane Reefer Trailer has never been been re-issued since the early 80's, but the Dry Goods Van trailer (Ertl #8932) has been out at least once or twice under AMT/Ertl lable, both trailers are the same except for the reefer unit with inside air duct/cooling element, fuel tank for the reefer engine, battery/electric boxes and the front wall.

Edited by Force

• 3 weeks later...

173 views and still no answer, so it must be as i suspected then...nothing available. :unsure:
That's okay, I'll have to rely on my scratchbuilding skills then and do my own, I have one Ertl Thermo King unit on a built trailer to take measures from.

No that's another type of unit (I don't know what make and type it is) wich looks like this.

T50703-vi.jpg

And this is the one I'm after.

GreatDane5b.jpg

As you see they are different units, thanks anyway.

This type of Thermo King unit has also been done by Heller for their 3-axle Reefer trailer.

77607-vi.jpg

The pictures are borrowed from this excellent website http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/ and all credits goes to him.

Edited by Force

they both thermo king units first one an older model unit

Thanks, I kind of suspected that but I didn't know for sure.

I have tried to find out what the different Thermo King models are called but I can't find much information on the "interweb" on the older units, I know one type is called Super Boss...but I don't know wich...it can be the model I'm looking for.

And if you do a google search on Thermo King Super Boss you get a lot of pictures of Tyrone Malone's Super Boss truck as his main sponsor was Thermo King before Bandag...it's a cool truck but not exactly what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

I have tried to find out what the different Thermo King models are called but I can't find much information on the "interweb" on the older units

I would suggest picking up something like an older service manual or catalog on eBay:

$(KGrHqF,!hEFEWjswi!jBRJZrUEpTg~~60_57.J

The TV show "American Trucker" covered the restoration of the B.J. & The Bear/Movin On trucks a few years ago, and in one episode I watched, they searched fro an found a vintage refrigeration unit for one of the trucks, so perhaps you could find the episodes on YouTube or elsewhere on the web?: http://www.overdriveonline.com/american-trucker-premieres-on-speed-channel-feb-24-with-a-familiar-face/

Casey - Yes I saw that episode when the American Trucker series was televised over here,,,but I don't remember what the reefer unit was called.
But looking for old service manuals is a good tip to find out what they are called.

KJ790 - the AMT unit could be a Crown 500...but it's on a Fruehauf Reefer trailer, not a Great Dane. ;)

Edited by Force

Casey - Yes I saw that episode when the American Trucker series was televised over here,,,but I don't remember what the reefer unit was called.

But looking for old service manuals is a good tip to find out what they are called.

KJ790 - the AMT unit could be a Crown 500...but it's on a Fruehauf Reefer trailer, not a Great Dane. ;)

Sorry, I meant the Ertl Great Dane. This one:

PA140230-vi.jpg

Looks similar to the Crown 500 model without the badging, though Thermo King had a few models that all looked similar around that time.

Edited by KJ790

Sorry, I meant the Ertl Great Dane. This one:

PA140230-vi.jpg

Looks similar to the Crown 500 model without the badging, though Thermo King had a few models that all looked similar around that time.

Thats my photo, thats my bed sheet, thats my model kit! KFS offered a

After doing some research, it looks like the reefer unit on the old Ertl Great Dane trailers may be a Thermo King SNWD model. I for one would love to see these in resin. I have 2 on built models, and would love to have some more. I am thinking about scratch building one, but a resin piece would be much better.

Edited by KJ790

After doing some research, it looks like the reefer unit on the old Ertl Great Dane trailers may be a Thermo King SNWD model. I for one would love to see these in resin. I have 2 on built models, and would love to have some more. I am thinking about scratch building one, but a resin piece would be much better.

The Super NWD was available from the late 1960s to the late 1970s in various iterations. For the very observant, the Ertl unit has a flaw that otherwise detracts from the most detailed reefer compressor replica ever. The control panel is on the curb side. It should actually be on the driver side.

2cymqdl.jpg

Edited by chuckyr

KJ790
It looks like you're right, Thanks a lot.
And yes, a resin piece is a lot easier than scratchbuilding. ;)
howsthat1959
It's Ertl Great Dane 40' Reefer Trailer Kit # 8033, it has never been re-issued after the AMT/Ertl merge as far as I know...it's the one pictured in a couple of posts on the first page in this thread.
chuckyr
Yes, I have noticed that the control panel is on the wrong side, it shouldn't be that hard to fix though.
Edited by Force

• 7 years later...