Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013: Pretty Good Year for Models...

I bought the new Revell Mercury Wagon a couple days ago and thought "This has been a good year for new models!"

So, kudos to the kit makers for some great kits.

We like to bemoan some of the new products - and some, rightfully so - but overall, these kits we saw this year were well worth the $:

revell-1957-ford-custom-2-in-1_zps710232
R-M01_zps9c9c435a.jpg
_35_zps1ba15f77.jpg
revell-1962-corvette-gasser_zps89d763b9.
_35-1_zps1a593258.jpg
REV4252_zps3c3b0982.jpg
NissanCedricSedan200EGL007791-600x600_zp
MW01207-2_zpsf853aa45.jpg
revell-50-olds-custom_zpsd26af179.jpg
REV07092_zpsad65abe3.jpg
What else am I forgetting!! I probably overlooked some other genres (trucks?) and reissues too, but I gave 'em all some money this year!

RVG7256.jpgheader_93034.jpg

These! I just ordered and received both from an eBay Store. The Trabant is different from the earlier ROG release because the older one was a curbsider, while this one has the punky little engine. The Citroen is a really nice kit, very well done. The parts all look great, only that they give you the options of having the doors (both side and rear) open or closed. We'll have to figure out how to hinge them. The silly part is that the Japanese put British commercial logos on it AND left hand drive. I did check eBay of Great Britain and saw that there actually were RHD 2CVs, so Tamiya should have given us either option like they've done on a lot of kits.

Announced at 2011 iHobby, came out in late 2012 (December, IIRC, first WIP posted on here was Dec 23rd). I'd count it as a 2013 kit.

Whoops typo, I meant 2012...I guess I can technically accept it as a 2013 kit, but there were enough 2013 kits that legitimately came out IN 2013 to not back-count Revell's end of year releases.

header_93034.jpg

These! I just ordered and received both from an eBay Store. The Trabant is different from the earlier ROG release because the older one was a curbsider, while this one has the punky little engine. The Citroen is a really nice kit, very well done. The parts all look great, only that they give you the options of having the doors (both side and rear) open or closed. We'll have to figure out how to hinge them. The silly part is that the Japanese put British commercial logos on it AND left hand drive. I did check eBay of Great Britain and saw that there actually were RHD 2CVs, so Tamiya should have given us either option like they've done on a lot of kits.

Well the Fourgonnette is a mish-mash of tooling. The head designer at EBBRO is formerly a Tamiya employee, and struck up a deal to have Tamiya supply the engine, running gear, body and interior pieces from their "Masterpiece of the 80's" kit which as far as I know never had a RHD option. The Fourgonnette cargo parts were tooled up by EBBRO itself in 2013...probably not economically viable to tool up all the required RHD parts, especially considering you could never use them again as the bulk of the kits tooling doesn't belong to the company making the new parts. Tamiya for their part seems to enjoy cashing the checks from EBBRO, but isn't in a hurry to re-tool a nearly 30 year old kit to add in a Great Britain specific building option.

For the ultimate purposes of this conversation the Trabant really IS from 2011.

Edited by niteowl7710

I bought the new Revell Mercury Wagon a couple days ago and thought "This has been a good year for new models!"

So, kudos to the kit makers for some great kits.

We like to bemoan some of the new products - and some, rightfully so - but overall, these kits we saw this year were well worth the $:

revell-1957-ford-custom-2-in-1_zps710232
R-M01_zps9c9c435a.jpg
_35_zps1ba15f77.jpg
revell-1962-corvette-gasser_zps89d763b9.
_35-1_zps1a593258.jpg
REV4252_zps3c3b0982.jpg
NissanCedricSedan200EGL007791-600x600_zp
MW01207-2_zpsf853aa45.jpg
revell-50-olds-custom_zpsd26af179.jpg
REV07092_zpsad65abe3.jpg
What else am I forgetting!! I probably overlooked some other genres (trucks?) and reissues too, but I gave 'em all some money this year!

Well said, Eric I agree...