Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upscaling Formula

Need some help from the scratch builders out there.

Want to upscale decals and dimensions from lets say 1/43rd to 1/24 and 1/25th scale. Does anyone know what the formula used to convert the scale difference.

If I wanted to enlarge a decal sheet from 1/43rd to 1/24th or 1/25th...what enlargement setting would I use?

If I wanted to add a duct or vent to a 1/24th scale kit that a 1.43rd scale kit has, what formula would I use to convert the dimensions?

Know I have seen these in some of the model mags....just can not find them in the piles of stuff that I have.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Cecil

This should be a pretty easy formula to use. Take the scale of the original piece - in your case 1/43rd. Multiply your dimension from the model or decal sheet by 43. If the decal is .100 long it will then be 43 X .100 = 4.3 That would be the size in 1/1. Now divide that dimension by the scale you want to convert it to. In your case 1/24. That would be 4.3 divided by 24 = .179 ( rounded) Plug in whatever scales you want and you are ready to go. :D

Hello Kevin

The Formula that Andy gave you is correct but doen't work well for decals.i had a guy do some decals for me .

He made the decals for the petit lemans vette that ran after sept 11,2001 that he made in 1/43. I asked him to enlarge them to 1/24 it didn't come out that good he had to ree draw some of the decals so that they would look to scale. He is a graphic artist by trade. In the same case I gave him some decals in 1/24 to scale down some thingds looked ok but others had to be re-drawn to look to scale. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

Vette-1-24PLM-03.jpg

Vette-1-24PLM-04.jpg

Vette-1-24PLM-01.jpg

Vette-02PLM-4.jpg

Vette-02PLM-7.jpg

Ariel :lol: