Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

I think you did a fantastic job with the design and execution! I think it fits the car better as well. I get that the Rolls is the epitome of comfort and all that but honestly, in that reference photo it looks like someone just shoved their living room sofa in the back of the car, which I think looks a little ridiculous. I most definitely prefer the seat you made.

I think you did a fantastic job with the design and execution! I think it fits the car better as well. I get that the Rolls is the epitome of comfort and all that but honestly, in that reference photo it looks like someone just shoved their living room sofa in the back of the car, which I think looks a little ridiculous. I most definitely prefer the seat you made.

Absolutely, looks like a frumpy tired old man lying in the back of the Rolls

Yours is sleek and stylish couch

Things to come...

440Medium_zpse9395a48.jpg

A sample cut from my carpeting. This is taken in natural light in best attempt to see the colors right. It's actually a touch darker, like wine or ruby. The leather is exactly correct in this light - more so than all my other pics.

It came from a dollhouse supplier and is a beautiful texture and has backing. Very easy to cut without frays. The nap is also very scale-correct.

I've found a wood veneer I like and will try to order that soon.

• 2 weeks later...

A note to my Rolls friends...

I have not abandoned this project or this WIP. It's just that life got real serious all of a sudden and my mate requires my full care right now as she recovers from a major operation. It's a gradual process and we're coping best we can. Helping and seeing her improve is my mission and reward.

But I assure you time will permit me to unwind here on my workbench bit by bit. And I'll surely continue to post here.

Thanks for your enthusiasm for my project and concern for my Mrs.

C.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you are doing the right thing. The Rolls will wait...the mate not so much. And if the Rolls never gets done, we have sure been enjoying the ride up to this point. Isn't that what model BUILDING is all about? The build, not the end result? You have shown us a great build here, regardless of how it ends up.

I think you are doing the right thing. The Rolls will wait...the mate not so much. And if the Rolls never gets done, we have sure been enjoying the ride up to this point. Isn't that what model BUILDING is all about? The build, not the end result? You have shown us a great build here, regardless of how it ends up.

Thanks Eric.

To decompress between the home and medical care, I lurk here and actually plan some coming Rolls construction steps and methods. It's a nice mental oasis from thoughts none of us want to have in life.

Thankfully there is slow but measurable improvement in my bride's condition. Pain has become manageable, appetite returning and that's very cheering for both of us.

So I will hopefully return to the bench (for much shorter stretches than before) as time and conditions permit.

I'm surprised that some (like you) still have interest in the build and dig up the thread. That's a nice feeling too. I will surely post when I've something worthwhile to photo.

Thanks,

C

Well, here's a piddling amount of work spread over weeks. With the slow but continued improvement of my bride, good thoughts for both of us are creeping back. But we have a big fight ahead with the health demons and we take what we can get.

For me, resuming planning of the Rolls has been an occasional respite from the stress.

I left work at the juncture of creating the front seats to compliment the rear but found I was far short on talent and ideas to proceed. So I decided to switch to an 'easier' subassembly which required less time and mess. Here's two teaser snaps to give the idea. The how and what of construction will follow as I find time.

Like the rear seat, I got an 'off-the-path' idea and tried it with the thought I'd scrap it if unacceptable. As the build gets more advanced, my job became to not degrade the previous work with substandard (for me) corner-cutting or hack jobs. This is the same; if ultimately it disappoints, I'll start over with a different idea. What you see here is just trial fit parts and no permanent connection to the kit parts has yet been made. Confession: I'm a burl wood fanatic as you'll see ahead:

441%20Medium_zpsnt7idrjk.jpg

Here's how the 'look' will play together with the other cabin elements. Lighting is difficult to capture the actual natural light colors. The leather is really lighter a bit and the 'wood' is a tiny bit more red. Advise with yea or nay if it appeals and works, as you did with the rear seat. I will gladly scrap it if I'm off-base:

442%20Medium_zpssnrr1rqn.jpg

Fumbling along...

A sincere thanks for the warm welcome and good wishes from all of you. My experiment in faux wood is outlined below to hopefully answer your questions.

Scott, the skin is lighter in natural light; so difficult to get all the colors to play on the screen. But yes, those dainty tushies of starlets have been resting back there and making dimples...

Here's the how and why. The idea was always to use real veneer for a luxury cabin on a continental tourer so I had studied the web and found beautiful sites and samples. I was all set to order a $38 (!) sheet about 10" by 25", .025 thick. I fell for the Amboyna family of burls with their fiery red orange mix. When I went to the site to order, I got a 404 ERROR page. This persisted for several days so I assumed the company went down.

The idea then formed that the images of the veneers were very detailed so the idea to 'cheat' and use an image was born. With my usual 'if it's junk, I'll do a better thing', I formed a method in my loosely-termed mind. Even I find it ironic that I used real wood (1/64" ply) on the bottom of the floor (only seen in a highway roll-over) but fake paper wood for the world to see. Shows you the state of my mind these days......

Here's the style I wanted seen on a 1:1 P II; beautiful, massive wood instrument panel with (to come) door accents. It's not an exact copy of the Pocher car as they were all custom and varied widely:

443%20Medium_zpsumeocop5.jpg

The key elements to construction are Kodak gloss photo printer paper and .010" styrene. The styrene serves as a backer for the thin paper:

444%20Medium_zpslba3woe5.jpg

Here is the cheesy Pocher IP, sanded flat. Masking tape was used to create a template for the styrene. There are many thin edges and areas so work slowly and carefully. Plus the tape always wants to curl when you remove it. Get it intact and apply to the plastic. Cut around the shape and the openings (my scalpel works best) and a hole punch was just right for the smaller switches:

445%20Medium_zpslbyq2f1i.jpg

Trial fitting with the Pocher frames and dials cleaned-up and fitted for install.The paper is unbacked here so the holes could be made cleanly.:

446%20Medium_zpsllszxdo9.jpg

Cutting the paper reveals the white core so a mix of craft acrylics should be applied to all edges. My look needed orange, red and expresso brown. Just a light wash carefully applied does it. Do the mating edges of the Pocher IP so the corners show no gaps:

447%20Medium_zpsz33lykdy.jpg

Getting closer. This is all trail fit; no glue yet except the paper to the styrene. Use the Loctite gel CA for a no bleed attachment. The lower band of 'wood' shown goes above the IP and below the windscreen frame on an angled section of the cowl. A gloss coat(s) of clear acrylic now on the 'wood'. A shot of gunmetal to add interest to the instrument surrounds. The 'glass' for the central dials was scarred and cracked courtesy Pocher. So a session of polishing cloths, 2400 to 12,000 was rubbed on then 3 dips in Future. Let dry 2 days and handle with gloves when installing. That will be the last step before gluing everything. The framing around the screen will have corners cut to simulate inlays:

448%20Medium_zpsy4q0judz.jpg

Where we're going; the snaps don't capture the vibrant colors. The clear blends the touched-up edges well. I'm thinking I may get away with this. The enlarged image is somewhat too big for scale but with so much cut out of the pattern, it's hardly noticeable. To my eye, it goes well with the gray skin and wine carpet. Opinions?:

449%20Medium_zpsen10ku1p.jpg

To be honest...

Your comments are much appreciated but I'm disappointed.

As stated earlier this was a trial for a method I've never done before and I'd decided I could 'get away with it' as I went. In the words of a dear modeling friend 'Nothing looks like wood more than real wood'.

Well. nearing completion with this area and viewing the whole, I feel I've cut a corner for expediency over excellence. I hate that. I just felt I didn't have the skills to do a veneer job as well as the masters at MMC.

I committed to attachment thinking it was acceptable and now....

If I can get the door trim pieces acceptable, at least it will be harmonious. Man this interior has kicked my butt...

More details to come; the wiper motors will be finished and wired, the screen frame will be added. The shutter control knob is improved from the molded on plastic to a real tube in the upper central dash. The central instrument face was cut from acetate as the kit plastic cracked:

450%20Medium_zpsrsyglwwd.jpg

451%20Medium_zpsinpkh3oq.jpg