Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wicked and AutoAir paints...

Hello everyone,

Just getting back into modeling after a long hiatus. In the past I used primarily Testors Enamels for body finishing (rattle can) and pretty much everything else (little bottles). However I have been using quite a few of the Createx paints lately for other hobby related painting. I am pleased with some of the outcomes I have received with the wicked and autoair paints, so I would like to use them to do the bodies on my models. Which leads me to the question...

What do you guys and gals that use these paints for your models, use to wet sand in between wet coats and after your final coat?

I have searched and searched and the only clue I found was what Createx actually published, about using Mineral Spirits. Sounds a bit hokey to me but I will be giving it a try at any rate. I do know that in the videos I have watched for people that use these products they do talk about wet sanding them, but they never say what it is they use for it. I am pretty sure though its not water since they are a water based paint.

Great Board by the way have picked up a bunch of killer tips and seen some AMAZING "Under the Glass" models. Hopefully one of these days I will add to those collections =D.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys can enlighten me with, it is much appreciated!

Winkstr.

Thanks for the video, that is pretty much how I do my polishing and buffing when using Enamels or Laquer paints. Except the Novus #1 I instead use Meguires wax.

In the video he is using water, and wicked and autoair are water soluble, so not sure if the same procedure will work for them. I will be trying a few different ideas on our trusty plastic spoon though.

Thanks again for the response!

Once the Wicked or Autoair colors cure, they are no longer water-soluble, so you can wet-sand them to get rid of dust or defects. HOWEVER, they are not glossy and do not shine up like glossy enamel & lacquer when you polish them. For a shiny paint job on a car body, the Createx paints need a glossy clear coat over them. Fortunately, virtually any clear can be used over them, from Future to 2-pack urethane.

Sweet I did not know that. Letting them cure isn't a big deal for me, since I am used to having to wait on enamels anyway =P I'm a freak show and clear coat just about everything so that works for me!

Thanks for the tip!

Winkstr

in this pic i used wicked air yellow 3 coats with a Laquer clear 3 coats this paint so good i got all the wicked stuff i ran out of the candy ones darn it .lol its works on models np there

hope this help u good on your paint work. p.s cure time 1 day to 6hrs should be ok under a warm light not to close

Edited by dragzz