Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tremec Transmissions

Does anyone know if there are any kits that have a Tremec 6-speed transmission in 1/24 or any resin casters that produce them? Many of the pro-touring cars use them and I was hoping to get my hands on a few of them. I believe GMP uses them on some of their cars, but they are all 1:18.

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure of the entire history of the deal, but Tremec owns the former transmission business of Borg-Warner. That means that the former Borg-Warner T-56 6-speed is now a "Tremec". I believe that those were found starting in early '90s Corvettes, Camaros/Firebirds, and Vipers. I'm not sure what transmissions are found in Pro Touring cars, but that might be a place to start.

4.6 liter Mustangs ('96 and later) used the T-45 5-speed that may be externally similar to some 6-speed models, but I'm not sure. Another avenue might be the 2005 and later Mustang transmission, though I have no idea what its geneaology is. You may also want to investigate cars like Nissan 350Zs and Toyota Supras-I've been told that some Japanese companies will go to lengths to avoid giving the impression that they use a part not designed in-house-at least one '80s truck model had unique housings cast without the "Borg-Warner" name on their T-5 5-speeds!

I hope this helps!

Hello,

Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....many years ago I mastered, casted and sold a Borg-Warner T-56 with the differential to fit Revell's C5 Corvette, so a proper 1999 FRC (Fixed Roof Coupe) could be built. The FRC eventually evolved into the Z06 in 2001.

01g.JPG

DSCF3729.JPG

DSCF2359.JPG

With the release of the C6 Corvette in 2005 Revell now includes the Tremec transaxle.

DSCF0215.JPG

Surgery would be required to adapt it to a "standard" application. Bellhousing and tail would be needed, but it can be a start.

Not sure if this helps but I hope so :D

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there are any kits that have a Tremec 6-speed transmission in 1/24 or any resin casters that produce them? Many of the pro-touring cars use them and I was hoping to get my hands on a few of them. I believe GMP uses them on some of their cars, but they are all 1:18.

Thanks!

Hey Scrappy I saw this in another forum and i think its a starting point.

012.jpg

40912-500-0.jpg

Ariel

Edited by Ariel

012.jpg

If I am not mistaken, that's is actually a ZF S6-40 gearbox. That was the tranny used on ZR1 Corvettes (LT-5 engines). It was used in Corvettes until 1996. In 1997 the rear transaxle layout started using the BW T-56 that eventually became the Tremec.

Thanks,

If I am not mistaken, that's is actually a ZF S6-40 gearbox. That was the tranny used on ZR1 Corvettes (LT-5 engines). It was used in Corvettes until 1996. In 1997 the rear transaxle layout started using the BW T-56 that eventually became the Tremec.

That engine and transmission looks exactly like the one in my AMT '91 ZR1 Corvette model... sans the chrome.

--ron

Thanks,

Its not like he is going to drive the thing. Thats way I said its a starting point that he can modify it to look like the tremec.

Scrappy J is a very talented modeler. saw some of his work in NNL Acme in ATL. If he can't find one I'm pretty sure that he can modify this one to look like a tremec.

Ariel