Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's Original Mini Cooper Final Assembly

microwheel

Jim the inner door detail is awesome! I hope the passenger side will go smoothly! Is this car going to be LHD or RHD?

Hi Glenn, I'm getting ready to start on the passenger side sometime today or tomorrow. The car is going to be a LHD US version. I've seen lots of builds done RHD and want to be a little different.

Hi Glenn, I'm getting ready to start on the passenger side sometime today or tomorrow. The car is going to be a LHD US version. I've seen lots of builds done RHD and want to be a little different.

Cool! Can't wait to see this thing with both doors open B) Decided on a color yet?

Excellent work Jim. I really enjoyed our chat we had a while back. Have to do that again once I am home from my lacrosse trip. How did you scribe that panel detail so crisply?

Hi Fred, I enjoyed our talk as well and look forward to more in the near future. Hope your trip is going well. As for scribing the panel lines, I have a set of hobby scribing tools where one has a slightly blunt tip on it. I use that one to scribe lines without scoring it all the way through. I used a scale ruler that has MM on it to measure the original pattern lines and then marked them on my base panel. Then using the same ruler as a straight edge guide, I ran my scribe tool along it with just a little pressure so as not to scribe the lines too deep. I tested the process several times on a few pieces of scrap sheet plastic, to make sure I had it the way I wanted it, that way I knew how it was gonna work before I did the actual panel. That way I didn't have to worry too much about messing up and having to make a new panel. when I get time, I'll take a pic or two of the scribe tool I use so you get a idea, or at least include the tool in a future process shot. You can get them at hobby lobby. At least I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine.

Cool! Can't wait to see this thing with both doors open B) Decided on a color yet?

Not Yet Glenn, but I'll post when I do. I also plan to open and hinge the trunk area when I get that far. That's the plan right now anyways lol. But you know how plans are.. they change sometimes..

Edited by microwheel

Posting update for the RH side of Mini Mouse.

Got the RH interior door panel made, and upholstery area scribed out. Got the RH side Door cut out and with just a little gap filling it fits as good as the LH side. Got All the RH door jams made using the same process as the LH side.

Here is a pic of the LH door panel before the upholstery lines were scribed in. the scribber in the pic is the tool I used for scribing the lines. The side without the red mark on it is a dull point tip that works great for scribing lines without cutting. In the pic you can also see most of the equipment I have been using to do the work I have been doing on Mini Mouse so far.

DSCF3137-vi.jpg

Next pic is the door panel with the lines scribed in it.

DSCF3139-vi.jpg

Both door panels in primer

DSCF3142-vi.jpg

The LH door cut out and gaps filled. Then taped into place to check for fit.

DSCF3145-vi.jpg

Both door side jams completed with door panels inserted to check for fit.

DSCF3153-vi.jpg

Completed LH body side door jams.

DSCF3150-vi.jpg

Continued on in following post......

More pics of completed LH side door jams

DSCF3148-vi.jpg

DSCF3149-vi.jpg

Once again the door taped into place with scotch tape to show the fit.

DSCF3144-vi.jpg

Next it's time to work on the trunk and clean up the mold lines around the front fender, and a little bit of body work clean up. So stay tuned, lol.

Edited by microwheel

Can't wait! Now that I'm 20 hours or so by car away from my bench I only have others projects to keep me going!

Well hope all is going good with your trip Fred. Ya need to hurry back to your work bench so you can get some work done on your latest project. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Hi Guys, Thanks for looking. Still haven't made a decision yet on final paint color, but I will soon. Got some more work done on Mini Mouse the past few days.

First fill in a few push pin marks for the trunk floor area, also added a strip of evergreen plastic to the rear edge where the chassis meets the body because there would have been a gap there that would have been seen from the inside of the trunk area.

DSCF3160-vi.jpg

In this pic you can see how the gap was taken care of.

DSCF3163-vi.jpg

Next I added thick evergreen plastic strips to the bottom of the interior pan where the back seat would rest against to extend that area down where it would meet the trunk floor area, then added some thin evergreen strips to the seat backing area to give that area the ribbed look it was supposed to have.

DSCF3159-vi.jpg

Next I cut open the trunk and added a lip around the opening for the trunk lid to sit against, using evergreen round rod and sanded down to give it as close to the proper look as I could get. Then I test fitted the interior tub and chassis to the body to make sure the trunk area was going to look right.

DSCF3162-vi.jpg

Next I worked on the trunk lid to take care of any gaps and to make sure it fit flush with the body when sitting against the lip.

You can see the results in this pic.. Still got a little cleanup to do, but not bad.

DSCF3171-vi.jpg

Continued with next post................

Next it was time to make the gas tank. Mini's have these in the trunk, and In some refference pics, some mini's even show two, But mine is going with the single LH tank. as seen in this reference pic.

AustinMini_Coopertrunk-vi.jpg

I scratch made the gas tank out of evergreen sheet plastic, and filled any gaps with a combo of CA glue and baking soda. A hole was drilled in the side and a small piece of plastic was added to the back of the hole to simulate the gas gauge sending unit. And this is the result.

DSCF3154-vi.jpg

Here is the tank in a first coat of primer.

DSCF3155-vi.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of how the tank will look in the car. The pics also give a idea of how the trunk area over all will look, once I finish up a few odds and ends with it.

DSCF3170-vi.jpg

DSCF3167-vi.jpg

DSCF3165-vi.jpg

I still have a few more things to do for the trunk yet before I have the trunk area done, such as making the trunk hinges and the tie cables and mounts, but at least I feel like I made a little progress the past few days. More to come as I get it done so stay tuned.

Thanks Guys, just a quick update. Cleaned up the trunk area and got a initial coat of primer on all the worked on areas of the trunk. Here is just a few pics. Still got to work on the package shelf braces and make the shelf, as well as the hinges and a few other odds and ends. The pic with the tire in it, is just for giving you a idea of the look.. It is one of the kit tires and not the final spare.

DSCF3177-vi.jpg

DSCF3179-vi.jpg

DSCF3186-vi.jpg

More to come as progress continues...........

Edited by microwheel

What an amazing job on the trunk there. I hope my modeling gets this advanced in the future.

If I tried that Id be calling Revell and paying for replacements :lol:

Oh I'm sure you have the modeling skills Byron. But I know what you mean. Unlike years ago when models were a lot cheaper, I cant afford to buy more than one kit, so I have to be a lot more careful with what I do to models these days. And of course that means having to build a lot slower because of it. LOL