Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Car Transporter

I just received an RG Car Transporter kit purchased off E-bay. I plan to use it to help display at least six car models in a display case in my garage. It'll be hooked up to a Rubber Duck clone (well a close approximation to the Rubber Duck - I have the correct bumper, two-hole resin wheels and a modified KW sleeper to go on an R600 AMT kit (it should look okay - I hope!) But I was wondering if anyone has built a head rack for a tractor to go along with this kit? The 1:1 rigs all have a two or three car headrack. (In which case I have an old AMT Western Star lined up as a guinea pig)

Any pics?

THX

Jeff

This trailer is called a "high mount" where the only way to add a head rack is for 1 car directly above the cab. Stinger type car haulers 8-10 vehicles have a different type of trailer which usually holds 6-7 vehicles and the rack mounted to the tractor holds 3 cars (2 stacked on top of the drives, 1 on the cab. Stinger types have the fifth wheel moved back behind the drives approximately 6 inches from the pavement. Check these guys out 4 pics one of the best trailers in the industry: http://www.cottrelltrailers.com/

Thanks for the link. It looks like fabbing a head rack for a high mount trailer is not too difficult a task. One question though, but not related to modelling, does a driver of a truck/stinger combination require the same class of licence as a driver of a tractor trailer? It seems like a silly question but a truck hauling a stinger seems more like a straight truck hauling a trailer, rather than a "normal" tractor trailer combination.

Jeff

What's goin' on...

Jeff

I took these at work a while back w/ the intension to scratch build a car hauler. Believe it or not I started measuring and drawing every brace bracket and cyliner until I started doing "HEAVY" over time for several months and then I just never got a chance to finish.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex...31196998&f=

Thanks for posting those pics old-hermit.

That looks real nice. I always thought that the Revell transporter was a neat way to display a bunch of models, and you have proved the theory correct.

Jeff

It sure does, right now I'm building a 379 tri- drive with a 200" ICT sleeper to pull at least 2 transporters as an ultimate display case. The transporters will eventually be filled with all mustangs.