Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pour Le Patron Jan 28/08

Mr. Can Am Garage

Hi Junkman, Sorry to put a spanner in the works but the Schlumpf museum has since been refurbished since I visited all those years back when it still resembled almost how it was found. It is the French who have added the dramataic lighting and fancy displays.

In the period 1977 to about mid 1990's the museum consisted of row upon row of cars flanked by replicas of lighting situated on the bridge 'Pont Alexandre III' in Paris, the cars being displayed upon white ballast all through the museum. occasionally a cardboard cutout of Jean Bugatti or a few pictures of the cars in natural surroundings were the only break in the monotony.

The Schlumpfs even had their own champagne which they payed a producer to label up for them rather than produce there own.

Yes the cars were all kept running but were hardly ever to run again.

Most of my photo's are in storage but if time allows I will scan a couple of pics from the Schlumpf book so keep looking in, and if you ever get the chance to visit it will be well worth it.

John

Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't aware that the museum has been refurbished. I was in the museum first in 1979 pretty immediately when it was opened for the public. The last time I was in it in 1994, so I must have been there just before the refurbishment commenced. I only know it with rows after rows of 'Pont Alexandre III' chandeliers and the cars resting in pebbled areas. There also was this magnificient mechanical organ and an altar with artefacts of their mother, whom they had dedicated the museum.

Thanks for the corrections, cant get it right all the time.

BTW What engine is in Tom Wheatcrofts car? Did he sell it a couple of years back?

I don't know too much about the Wheatcroft car, but supposedly it has a one-off engine resembling the original. Afaik, it is still in the Donington Park Museum. Maybe I should pop over one of these weekends to verify this.

Thank You.

For my next trick, I'm gonna correct the blue.

Erm. What's wrong with the one that's on the model now?

Btw. I just snatched another Berline De Voyage off Ipay. This is my Royale kit number five (including the Fuman Bandai 1/16 scale Binder Coupe De Ville, I start feeling like a Schlumpf) and I will use it together with the Lindberg one to build Dr. Fuchs' car in its original configuration.

I also just found out that the Coupe Napoleon you are building a model of was indeed all black originally. The blue sweep was added while the car was still owned by Le Patron though.

I still have no confirmation whether that hideous silk interior is original or a Schlumpf outrage.

Edited by Junkman

Btw. I just snatched another Berline De Voyage off Ipay. This is my Royale kit number five (including the Fuman Bandai 1/16 scale Binder Coupe De Ville, I start feeling like a Schlumpf) and I will use it together with the Lindberg one to build Dr. Fuchs' car in its original configuration.

I also just found out that the Coupe Napoleon you are building a model of was indeed all black originally. The blue sweep was added while the car was still owned by Le Patron though.

I still have no confirmation whether that hideous silk interior is original or a Schlumpf outrage.

The blue that's on my model might be (is actually) what Testors recommended but it sure doesn't look close to what's on the 1:1. So I feel I must correct it or else I'll never be able to look at it.

So you say I could also build this one all black? Interesting. Perhaps yet another Bugatti project.

As for the Fuchs' car, I plan to build that as it was constructed and how it sits now in the Henry Ford museum. So far, all I have towards that end is one copy of the Lindberg kit.

I am no fan of trying to duplicate that interior in scale. Is there any chance that Italeri (Testors) got it right? The instructions say to paint it bleu in the driver's compartment and black in the passenger's compartment.

A couple of observations on the interior: If this was an original interior to the body etc would it not look aged?

Also considering the price of the vehicle and the craftsmanship of the upholstery, the material patten on the arm rests does not'flow' into the lower portion. this cannot be followed through on every seam in the construction but I had a lounge couch with a similar type patten(Yuk Yuk yes I know <_< ) and the arm rests on that were sewn to make the patten continuous.

My guess, Schlumpf had it done.

A note concerning the collection; A friend found another site(in German) that said Arlette Schlumpf(widow of Fritz?) had had a number of cars returned to her, though I do not know if these were former display vehicles

A couple of observations on the interior: If this was an original interior to the body etc would it not look aged?

Also considering the price of the vehicle and the craftsmanship of the upholstery, the material patten on the arm rests does not'flow' into the lower portion. this cannot be followed through on every seam in the construction but I had a lounge couch with a similar type patten(Yuk Yuk yes I know :D ) and the arm rests on that were sewn to make the patten continuous.

My guess, Schlumpf had it done.

A note concerning the collection; A friend found another site(in German) that said Arlette Schlumpf(widow of Fritz?) had had a number of cars returned to her, though I do not know if these were former display vehicles

The interior actually looks pretty worn when you see it in the flesh. I also noticed the mismatch of the fabric on the armrests. I also can't believe that a man of Ettore Bugatti's aesthetical sense would ever select a material like this (no offense to you and your couch). But I find it equally hard to believe that the Schlumpfs would specify this, since they were comparatively meticulous with their restorations for the time.

62 unrestored cars have been returned to Arlette Schlumpf in 1999. This lot contained 17 Bugattis, including ten T57 and has been brought to Switzerland. Nothing has been seen or heard of the cars ever since.

Edited by Junkman

The interior actually looks pretty worn when you see it in the flesh. I also noticed the mismatch of the fabric on the armrests. I also can't believe that a man of Ettore Bugatti's aesthetical sense would ever select a material like this (no offense to you and your couch). But I find it equally hard to believe that the Schlumpfs would specify this, since they were comparatively meticulous with their restorations for the time.

62 unrestored cars have been returned to Arlette Schlumpf in 1999. This lot contained 17 Bugattis, including ten T57 and has been brought to Switzerland. Nothing has been seen or heard of the cars ever since.

All this discussion on the interior is not helping me. Regardless of who spec'd it, it's was or is in the 1:1 at one time or another.

IF this is the interior, then I need to figure out how to replicate it in scale. I'm thinking Keith Marks could do that pattern in scale as a decal.

What say you?

All this discussion on the interior is not helping me. Regardless of who spec'd it, it's was or is in the 1:1 at one time or another.

IF this is the interior, then I need to figure out how to replicate it in scale. I'm thinking Keith Marks could do that pattern in scale as a decal.

What say you?

I did sugest something like this earlier but I do not have the skill to follow it through.

If I had a laser printer I would try to copy a part from the picture in the museum, then shrink it down,multiply it to make some kind of continuous parren then test print on some paper. If ok print out on some decal film. The whites I would change to cream so they would print. Would it work???

It is going to be quite small so an idea cropped up in my thinking about some kind of elaborate Fleur de Lys design?

Just a thought,

John

If whoever comes up with a way of doing this interior as a decal sheet, can I please raise my finger for one too? $$$$ waiting. Well, a few at least.

Because of your build, I bought another book on the Schlumpf saga, called The Schlumpf Obsession. It contains yet another picture of the interior of the car. If you like, I could scan it. This way someone could use the head-on view of the opposite door panel as a pattern to copy and re-size? Let me know if you'd like to have it.

An alternative would be to buy the Franklin Mint diecast, rip it apart and use that interior :rolleyes: They managed to replicate it, I think with tampo print.

Edited by Junkman

If whoever comes up with a way of doing this interior as a decal sheet, can I please raise my finger for one too? $$$$ waiting. Well, a few at least.

Because of your build, I bought another book on the Schlumpf saga, called The Schlumpf Obsession. It contains yet another picture of the interior of the car. If you like, I could scan it. This way someone could use the head-on view of the opposite door panel as a pattern to copy and re-size? Let me know if you'd like to have it.

An alternative would be to buy the Franklin Mint diecast, rip it apart and use that interior :) They managed to replicate it, I think with tampo print.

A scan would be handy.

FM did one? Interesting.

I'm waiting to hear from Keith Marks who can and does work wonders. He's done a Mod Top decal for a '70/'71 Chrysler muscle cars so he might be able to lend a hand.

A scan would be handy.

FM did one? Interesting.

I'm waiting to hear from Keith Marks who can and does work wonders. He's done a Mod Top decal for a '70/'71 Chrysler muscle cars so he might be able to lend a hand.

Either FM or DM. I'm not into metal models, so please don't nail me on it.

Does Keith make his decals available to others? My 69 Coronet keeps telling me it can't live without a mod top since I read your last post.

I will scan the picture and post it here when I get home tonight.

Just another thing: Since we can't get any definitive information on who put that interior into the car and most of all when, there is no way of telling if it was present when the car was still all black, which must have been very shortly after it received this body.

Also, from the pictures, I can't find anything wrong with the shade of blue you used. Admittedly, I have only ever seen the car in artificial lighting, but the blue you used looks perfectly ok to me.

Entirely btw: The book also contains a photo of the interior of Captain Foster's car. Hard to believe, but it's even tackier than the one in the Coupe Napoleon. One wouldn't want to be seen dead in such a common interior. Both cars certainly would have deserved better. It confirms what I always said: Money doesn't buy one good taste.

Either FM or DM. I'm not into metal models, so please don't nail me on it.

Does Keith make his decals available to others? My 69 Coronet keeps telling me it can't live without a mod top since I read your last post.

I will scan the picture and post it here when I get home tonight.

Just another thing: Since we can't get any definitive information on who put that interior into the car and most of all when, there is no way of telling if it was present when the car was still all black, which must have been very shortly after it received this body.

Also, from the pictures, I can't find anything wrong with the shade of blue you used. Admittedly, I have only ever seen the car in artificial lighting, but the blue you used looks perfectly ok to me.

Entirely btw: The book also contains a photo of the interior of Captain Foster's car. Hard to believe, but it's even tackier than the one in the Coupe Napoleon. One wouldn't want to be seen dead in such a common interior. Both cars certainly would have deserved better. It confirms what I always said: Money doesn't buy one good taste.

My blue is too dark and not blue enough to be close to what I see in pics. of the 1:1.

Keith does offer his decals to anyone. Problem. He's now working full time and thusly doesn't have the time or energy to do any custom work. Bummer! You can see his decals here:

http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/

Mod top -

http://images102.fotki.com/v395/photos/3/3...pPattern-vi.jpg

You can contact him using this email address:

mofobow@hotmail.com

Tackier than this you say? I find that hard to believe.

My blue is too dark and not blue enough to be close to what I see in pics. of the 1:1.

Keith does offer his decals to anyone. Problem. He's now working full time and thusly doesn't have the time or energy to do any custom work. Bummer! You can see his decals here:

http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/

Mod top -

http://images102.fotki.com/v395/photos/3/3...pPattern-vi.jpg

You can contact him using this email address:

mofobow@hotmail.com

Tackier than this you say? I find that hard to believe.

What Keith does is the answer to many of my prayers. I hope he has time to do some stuff for me.

OK, I tried to upload the photo, but it tells me the file is larger than the available space. How do you guys post photos?

What Keith does is the answer to many of my prayers. I hope he has time to do some stuff for me.

OK, I tried to upload the photo, but it tells me the file is larger than the available space. How do you guys post photos?

All my photos are hosted on my Fotki site. No limit to file size that I know of.

If you want, I could host it for ya.

OK, here is the photo of the Coupe Napoleon interior, unfortunately this is the only one I found that gives a head-on view on part of the decor. I know it's not very good and it will require a lot of tinkering with colours and stuff:

http://public.fotki.com/Junkman13/bugatti-...renapoleon.html

This photo gives you a glimpse of the interior of Foster's car. See, I was not kidding you:

http://public.fotki.com/Junkman13/bugatti-...turefoster.html

This must be the ultimate in 'nouveau riche' 1930s tasteless common tackiness (imagine me putting my monocle on while I say this).

Now, how can I make these photos actually appear here on this page?

Edited by Junkman

Junkman this is how I post photo's from Fotki.

But first select your forum reply page,

click the 'insert image' icon. When (I)you do this a box appears at the top of your page asking to insert URL

Now open a second explorer window

open Fotki

Select album,

Click on photo you wish to send

When image appears click Share photo

Click the link that says Hot link this image

Copy the line that says 'Direct link to this image'

Something like this should appear.

http://hotimg12.fotki.com/a/90_192/108_40/Image0003.jpg

Paste this into the box asking for the image URL, then click OK

Image0003.jpg

Finished selecting pics? Carry on as normal (I usually click PREVIEW just to test, you may have to wait while it down loads the pic if large)

I do not know how to re-size as some of the pics come out large. This is the Bugatti Royal Engine from the Schlumpf Obssession book