Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bad Weather, Stuck Inside, Time To Model...

after several days of crappy weather and now freezing temps i STILL can't get outside to work on the 1:1's so i decide to catch up on the idle stack of boxes in the closet...

out come the two bodies i painted several weeks ago, wetsanded a few days back, and decided to respray today. one went fairly well but too many sanding marks remained, and the other reacted badly to a new coat of paint. hmmmm. decided to do one more body and sprayed my Dodge lil express wagon in dark blue; looks nice, no ###### in it and smooth, good cover.

amazing how much difference between one model and another.

i think the impala had less ###### in the original paint job than in the one i just laid on.... grr.

ah well; let it cure and sand it out again.....

My modeling time is ate up with Bad weather too. I have to paint outside, and when it's 21 degF with wind averaging 10 mph, my paint likes to orange peel, fog up, and generally I cant get a smooth set of coats. ;)

So, I'm stuck inside bouncing from kit to kit. I have about 10 right now that need spray work before I can continue. :(

i was working inside, even the painting. and yes, "bad weather" is entirely relative! i spent a year or so in Great Lakes NTC so i know what Chicago weather is like. i spent a year in Florida too....

no, the paint reaction on the GMC truck was as if i'd laid lacquer on enamel, odd, since both coats were enamel. the impala simply had dust and sanding marks i hadn't cleaned up. the Dodge pickup came out looking fairly good.

i spend most of my spare time working on my 1:1 cars so i only work on models during times when i can't get outside. and i tend to start new builds LONG before a current one is finished... hence a closet stuffed with almost-dones.

man the weather in cali sucks big time. its nearly 40 at night and during the day it barely breaks 70!!!

actually im kidding, it does get cold here but not like up in montana where i have a cabin. i just talked to some friends there (cooke city) and there is 500 inches of snow (no joke) and its 20 below. try painting in that! even the bison and moose are looking cold!

but i love the ###### weather (defined to me as raining though i like hiking in the rain) because i can feel justified staying indoors and working on models. its amazing what you can get done!

i wander from kit to kit when it's like this. open a box, fiddle a bit, paint something or assemble something and set it aside and go to the next until i lose interest again. currently working on 4 at the same time... but there must be 30 i COULD finish if i had the initiative.

man the weather in cali sucks big time. its nearly 40 at night and during the day it barely breaks 70!!!

actually im kidding, it does get cold here but not like up in montana where i have a cabin. i just talked to some friends there (cooke city) and there is 500 inches of snow (no joke) and its 20 below. try painting in that! even the bison and moose are looking cold!

but i love the ###### weather (defined to me as raining though i like hiking in the rain) because i can feel justified staying indoors and working on models. its amazing what you can get done!

Man do I hear that! I did not have anything going on this past Sunday and the huge block of time plus a little time Monday morning since it was a holiday was enough for me to get my first completion of 2008. I will provide pics of this and a couple of other recent builds this weekend. Finished models is about the only thing for me to look forward to in Post-Christmas wintertime.