Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frontier resin GMC Cannonball.

Seems that posts were lost, no biggie. I picked this up from frontier resin via ebay, $79 plus shipping. Come with everything in the pictures, the cab, interior tub, dash, and sleeper. The resin quality seems pretty good (not the best I've bought, not the worst), with the cab portion thickness not too bad, but the bunk will need thinning out. My only grips is that the hood/front is waaaaay to long through eyeball engineering, and the bunk looks a bit to big (check out how small the 1:1 integral units are) This is a day cab, so it will need some grafting to make it the integral sleeper unit. If you click the links the real Cannonballs were pretty flat across the front, on this the hood is about 9-10mm longer then fenders. The bumper with it follows the contours of it pretty good.

Not sure if I'll make it as-is with the front the way it is, to make a sort-of replica of a vintage GMC, or flatten it out. The hood seam is super thin, so it could be cut off, and I could take a pie wedge out to make closer to the 1:1. Probably be a 'down the road' project, so may be some time.

Here is 1:1 units thanks to hankstruckpictures.com, this is what I have in mind style wise:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/archer/ra_gmc_cannonball.jpg

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/wayne_crane/2003/mar/mr_sulpizio_gmc.jpg

DSC01330_zpsde58e853.jpg

DSC01328_zps6658c8e5.jpg

DSC01323_zps558166ec.jpg

DSC01326_zpsf1611959.jpg

Edited by Modelmikey

• 4 weeks later...

I've bought Curt's products in the past and his quality has definitely come a LONG ways from my first model a number of years ago. This certainly looks decent and it is a unique subject. I bought his '57 Meteor four door hardtop conversion and was quite happy and just today, I received an email from him and he has some really neat stuff in the works. Whoever did the master for the '57 Meteor did a bang up job on the trim, I gotta say! Some people have not been very kind towards Curt in times gone by, but I'd not hesitate to buy from him and will be doing so again in the next couple of months. He has some pretty unique products and the prices are in the ball park.You just have to keep in mind that these are resin models and as such, will need some extra love. But that's the nature of the beast, isn't it? What he sells sure is better than the same offerings by the competition - oh wait - his products are quite unique and I'm not so sure that there is a whole lot of competition given the subject matter. Personally, I'm just glad to get what I get because a few years ago, some of what he offers wasn't even close to being a reality. Also, he has treated me very well and I have found him in my experience with him, to be reasonable and a fair person to deal with.

I hope I didn't sound too negative in my overview, that wasn't what I meant, I just wanted to give a honest opintion of it for anyone else that may be looking for one. I didn't have any troubles ordering/shipping/communications, but did see a few negative ebay scores(I will add his shipping cost WAS what he quoted), but asked around with positive reviews on different model boards.

Modelmikey, on 08 Jan 2015 - 4:37 PM, said:

I hope I didn't sound too negative in my overview, that wasn't what I meant, I just wanted to give a honest opinion of it for anyone else that may be looking for one. I didn't have any troubles ordering/shipping/communications, but did see a few negative Ebay scores(I will add his shipping cost WAS what he quoted), but asked around with positive reviews on different model boards.

Mike, I didn't take anything that you said as anything but an honest appraisal and nothing could be taken as negative that I read. On the other hand, my comments were given in the same manner - an honest opinion based on personal experience. Curt has always done right by me and no, I do not personally know him. I have dealt with him and he was good for his word and the product was not garbage. One thing with negatives on Ebay from buyers to remember is that the seller has NO recourse and can not leave a negative for a buyer who is unreasonable and whose expectations are unreasonable. I make it a point to read the negatives and you can usually discern who is just being a jerk and who has a legitimate complaint. It's an unfair system IMHO but Ebay calls the shots and makes the rules, don't they?