Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can you help me identify a Superman resin kit?

I went to a train auction today. I went to buy postwar Lionel.

I didn't buy any trains, but I did buy a resin kit of Superman. He is in a flying position.

The figure measures about 13 inches head to toe in the position that he is in. If you measure his outstretched arms, the figure measures about 16 1/2 inches long.

I cannot find any markings on the kit, on the box...nothing.

I will try to add pics, that is if I am smart enough!

BTW, I am not into figures, or super heroes, but thought that it might do well on an internet auction site.

Thanks!!!!!

Edited by clovis

Well, I just found the resin kit.

I think that I own the very kit that was sold in 2011 at Ripley Auctions. The box has a very small AntiqueHelper sticker on it that reads LOT 6:

http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/377340

I am shocked!!!!

FWIW, Ripley and AntiqueHelper are local auction houses in my area.

Edited by clovis

This isn't what is advertised. The item description of this kit isn't accurate either. No model (especially a resin one, for that matter. Series production started in 1951. No special effects departments used resin models in the fifties.) was ever used to simulate Superman flying. That was George Reeves lying on a flat surface while being filmed against a matte/back projected background. It's been common knowledge for years. Definitely not worth the $1K-$2K estimate. At the most, this is worth $100-150.

Edited by SfanGoch

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't what is advertised. The item description of this kit isn't accurate either. No model (especially a resin one, for that matter. Series production started in 1951. No special effects departments used resin models in the fifties.) was ever used to simulate Superman flying. That was George Reeves lying on a flat surface while being filmed against a matte/back projected background. It's been common knowledge for years. Definitely not worth the $1K-$2K estimate. At the most, this is worth $100-150.

Have to agree with Joe,

This is most likely a garage kit especially with the box shown. Garage figure kits of this kind and quality would be in the $100 to $150 range at most. It is definitely not anything used in the series from 1951.