Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:16 Gt40...any Interest

I am currently re-working and old Bandai/UPC 1:16 GT40. It is an intense build with lots of body re-shaping and adding detail. You can see the progress under "Big Boyz".

The question: If it were to be duplicated as a fully detailed kit in resin, would anybody be interested. My guess is the cost would be somewhere between $175.00-$200.00 per kit. This would be a full kit with no donor required, includes rubber tyres and decals.

I have been following your progress intently, Colin - I have the same kit and agree with your assessment of its accuracy!! Perhaps you may want to offer this as a transkit instead of a complete kit - it might lower the price resistance among modelers and provide you with more potential customers??

I have been following your progress intently, Colin - I have the same kit and agree with your assessment of its accuracy!! Perhaps you may want to offer this as a transkit instead of a complete kit - it might lower the price resistance among modelers and provide you with more potential customers??

True, but just how many of these old Bandai/UPC kits are out there? It took me almost a year to find this one. If I just did a front and rear deck, seats and some suspension detail in the rear to replace the electric motor it may not be worth the cost of the molds.

Thank you for your input....just testing the waters:-)

Colin, I've been folowwing your build here & in the gpma yahoo group & while it's very possible that there would be interest in such a kit, by the same token, with Trumpeter's doing a 1/12 scale GT40 kit in plastic, (roughly around the same price or lower I'm guessing), I'm not sure there's enough of a market to make it worth doing. There may be potential there, but you have to take the 1/12 scale kit into consideration.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one, I'm just saying your timing may be a bit late on this.

:lol:

You are 100% correct on that one. The announcement of the Trumpeter kit sure put a damper on things. As usual, a brick short and a day late:-(

I think I will cast a front and rear deck just incase I find another kit ( I am a GT40 fool) and possibly offer it to anyone who wants one.

Thanks for the input

You are 100% correct on that one. The announcement of the Trumpeter kit sure put a damper on things. As usual, a brick short and a day late:-(

I think I will cast a front and rear deck just incase I find another kit ( I am a GT40 fool) and possibly offer it to anyone who wants one.

Thanks for the input

Colin if you cast a front & rear deck let me know.

Colin, I've been folowwing your build here & in the gpma yahoo group & while it's very possible that there would be interest in such a kit, by the same token, with Trumpeter's doing a 1/12 scale GT40 kit in plastic, (roughly around the same price or lower I'm guessing), I'm not sure there's enough of a market to make it worth doing. There may be potential there, but you have to take the 1/12 scale kit into consideration.

Bluesman Mark are you sure it is going to be a plastic kit? The last I heard was that it was going to be a 1/12 GMP unassembled diecast????

Len I've heard the following:

1-It may be an unassembled 1/12 GMP diecast.

2-It may be a styrene kit using the GMP tooling, (much as Monogram converted their diecast tooling to styrene for the 53 Corvette & 56 Thunderbird, & Revell has done with several new kitd & soon to be released ones as well).

3-It may be all new styrene tooling.

Right now I don't have any concrete evidence for any of the three. When I do I'll let you know.

:lol:

Thanks Bluesman Mark. I am waiting with baited breath. I love the Ford GT40 MKII 427 Cars.

Creative Miniature Associates( www.cmamodels.com ) has a 1/12 super-detail multi-media kit in the works for a long, long time. I have seen the pattern work and it is absolutely top-rate. It has been in the works for about ...Oh.. 15 years. He still plans to get it out to the marketplace. He has a lot of great pictures at his website. Look at the "kits" page. It will be very pricey when ready.