Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '29 Model A Roadster 2'n'1

mrknowetall

Here's two real cars with the old, rear-distributor Hemi. Both cars are '28-'29 bodies on '32 rails, which this new kit gives you. If the old Hemi will fit, the later-model 440 and even the 426 Hemi should shoehorn in there.

c2104d643da5f02d5fa63b9b174ae8b4.jpg3c944bcf9f24ea4e034b739a08d60a53.jpg

It's your model to build however you like. For me 440 engines don't have as much Wow factor,as a 392 or a multi carbed Buick,olds,or Pontiac.

I'm a lover of Mopars, I'd have to give it a shot... Also have a Shelby 289 engine here, but hey I've never done a hot rod so who knows how I'll decide to do it!

Quite looking forward to getting this kit now actually :P

Here's one I did with the Track Nose from the Revell '29A Pickup kit. For this one, I glued the hose to the hood, then recut the nose farther forward (making the nose shorter in length, and the hood longer in length). The entire buildup was featured in the old Scale Auto Enthusiast, #116, August 1998.

DSC_0416-vi.jpg

15 more pictures of this car (including detail closeups) here starting at picture #93...: http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/from-the-pages-of-y/all-my-fenderless-m/page4.html

That Revell '29A Pickup track nose is a tricky piece. I did an earlier build of the AMT '29 A Roadster with that track nose (featured in one of my early Street Rodder Modeler's Corner columns, c. 1980 or thereabouts); it was really ugly. So ugly my modeling buddies called in "The Pelican", and it wasn't intended as a compliment!

Thanks for looking...

TIM

Here's one I did with the Track Nose from the Revell '29A Pickup kit. For this one, I glued the hose to the hood, then recut the nose farther forward (making the nose shorter in length, and the hood longer in length). The entire buildup was featured in the old Scale Auto Enthusiast, #116, August 1998.

DSC_0416-vi.jpg

15 more pictures of this car (including detail closeups) here starting at picture #93...: http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/from-the-pages-of-y/all-my-fenderless-m/page4.html

That Revell '29A Pickup track nose is a tricky piece. I did an earlier build of the AMT '29 A Roadster with that track nose (featured in one of my early Street Rodder Modeler's Corner columns, c. 1980 or thereabouts); it was really ugly. So ugly my modeling buddies called in "The Pelican", and it wasn't intended as a compliment!

Thanks for looking...

TIM

Where did you get those wheels? I need a set similar for a build I have in mind.

Norm does Awesome K-H wires/rims. He also does the Tamiya Jag Mk2 wires, I have them on my XK120.

I'm thinking Offy 4 for mine, quickie in back, and a Duvall. Rear belly pan may make quickie invisible.

Bill, those noses look great. I forget who does a nice p/e grille, but I have 2, one narrow, one wider.

A's look better with track noses than even T's, as cowl wider, hood not as extreme, more room.

Gonna be a fun kit.

If you really want to be tricky the Offy from the old AMT Watson Indy Roadster kit has a two speed transmission, not an in out box, the Indy cars and Champ cars used two speeds to get the cars up to speed after pit stops, and the Champ dirt cars had to be able to start and stop without assistance from a push vehicle.

And the track noses with the PE grilles are from Model Car Garage, a few years ago it was rumored that they were dropping both the "A", and "T" noses from their line up and I bought a half dozen of each, then ended up using the nose from the Revellogram Edmunds kit and modifying the stock T hood from the AMT kit to build a Pinto powered street roadster that I would like to duplicate in 1:1 scale, C-4 auto, small V-8 quick change, sparse bench seat interior, half windshield, shorty roll bar made to resemble a CRA track roadster from the pre Sprint car days at Ascot Park. With injector tubes through the side of the hood, either from Weber carbs, or dummies from an under hood modified early Capri air cleaner box and dummy tubes, could still have a Holley four barrel to be a little better for streetability, and easier on the pocket book.

Edited by horsepower

Pinto motor or Cosworth BDA would be evil, and relatively streetable.

Or how about a 2.0 Ztec with Hilborn injection?

hilborn_injection_0031.jpg

I've got one from a Revell Focus SVT that I've reworked for a RWD application. I planned to put it in a Revell '31 Model A.... but I just might save it for when this kit is out.

Occasionally I have proposed my own ideas for new kits and on those, and I generally have at least a little idea of how they are coming about. But not always. Right now, I think the market is ripe for a new tool '70 GTO, with a 400 RA-IV (which would be the first time that's been done in 1/25th), in both regular and Judge forms, followed by one or more of the Stock/Super Stock racers that ran that body style. But on that one, I haven't heard even a faint whisper that anyone is working on that topic right now.

Cheers...TIM

I have a soft spot for traditional old Ford rods, so I can't wait for this one and I'll probably end up with a few.

However; Tim, I have to fully agree that we are ready for a new tool '70 GTO/Judge. The popularity of the Judges have escalated among 1:1 collectors in the last couple years. I own a real '70 Judge however mine is not the one that a model company would want to use for designing a new model. Mine has many incorrect features either done by me or the last owner. But I think I could get a few of the other guys I know with '70s either just GTOs or Judges to let a model company use them. Now that I think about it I may talk to a few when I get the chance, just to see their opinions.

Now all we need is someone with influence to put a bug in one of the manufacturers' ear... Hint, Hint ;) Lol!

Nate

I have a soft spot for traditional old Ford rods, so I can't wait for this one and I'll probably end up with a few.

However; Tim, I have to fully agree that we are ready for a new tool '70 GTO/Judge.

Now all we need is someone with influence to put a bug in one of the manufacturers' ear... Hint, Hint

Nate

Nate...while I'm not someone 'with influence" (this is especially the case now that Roger Harney has passed away), I've still made this suggestion several times already.

The Corvette and Muscle Car Nationals would be another place to find a pristine '70 GTO Judge HT or CV for these purposes. But in some cases (particularly if we can convince the model companies that the up front investment in digitally scanning historic muscle cars would more than offset the costs having to redo already- cut tooling, and the avoidance of lost sales due to incorrect proportioning of body designs), it might be better to get an "under restoration" car than a 100 point completed restoration. (Some scanning processes involve a silver-like dust that can be a little difficult to clean up after the scan is completed). it's also vitally important to get a 1/1 that is correctly restored (some of the kit problems have been attributed to incorrect restorations being used as the basis for researching kits).

If you and others agree on the '70 Judge idea, (and it sounds like you for one completely agree), never hurts to drop a note to Revell, Moebius, Round2, or anyone else that you think might be interested in such a kit. Just a suggestion....(smile)!.

And glad to hear you're on board with the '29A Ford Roadster kit....TIM

Hopefully the RMoM Hallock windshield will fit with little or no work.

Matt...my bet is that it will fit...as you say, with little or no work. The AMT and Revell bodies look very similar to my eye, except for the modified rear quarter openings and correct engraving on the rear wheel well inner fenders, as referenced in my original post back on page one....

TIM

Or how about a 2.0 Ztec with Hilborn injection?

hilborn_injection_0031.jpg

I've got one from a Revell Focus SVT that I've reworked for a RWD application. I planned to put it in a Revell '31 Model A.... but I just might save it for when this kit is out.

Doesn't look like Hilborn it looks like a homemade setup, but really trick. Has electric fuel injection nozzles, and a fuel rail, appears to have throttle position sensor on shaft for butterflies.

Doesn't look like Hilborn it looks like a homemade setup, but really trick. Has electric fuel injection nozzles, and a fuel rail, appears to have throttle position sensor on shaft for butterflies.

Well, mine will have a modified Hilborn setup- I just used that particular pic to illustrate how cool that unassuming little Ztec can look under the right circumstances. :)

Well, mine will have a modified Hilborn setup- I just used that particular pic to illustrate how cool that unassuming little Ztec can look under the right circumstances. :)[/quote

I agree with you there, it's to bad that no one modeled one of the GM Quad four motors, but there are a couple of different versions of dohc Toyota fours, and with a pair of side draft Webers and velocity stacks it would make a nice combo too, the reason I was going with the Ford 2300 was I wandted to build it like one I could do in 1:1 scale.