Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeler Giving Away All Of His Modeling Stuff

Hi, I just read on the former H/H board a posting from a guy in VA would is getting out of modeling and is giving away all of his 90 or so kits and modeling supplies. He compared it to recycling. I think this is a great thing to do. I don't know how many times in the past year or so that I have overheard modelers at swap meets telling stories of how they took all of their extra modeling stuff to the dump. So, I think keeping unwanted modeling stuff out of the landfill is recycling. I hope that before anyone throws any model stuff away they would offer it free to other modelers. I just did that awhile back with all my nascar stuff. I just boxed it up and sent it to a guy I knew that built nascar stuff. Steve Doing

Another idea, one that I have personally used, is to take extra or unwanted modeling items to your local VFW and donate the items to our troops abroad. I sent a lot of my models to our troops in Iraq. Our local VFW takes care of the shipping, paperwork, and postage. Another thing I have done is take clean, sealed, kits and put them in the Toys For Tots boxes at Christmas time. A couple of ways that are much better than just tossing the items in the landfill.

As few modelers as we seem to have in recent times, it saddens me to hear that we may have lost another!!! :( It is great that he is giving his stuff up to other modelers though!!! You hear all to often about models getting thrown away because they thought nobody would want it. I never let any plastic go to waste. I usually do not sell any of my collection but if there are cars/parts I do not want I just set it aside to use as a trade or to give up as a PIF on the HHMB.I let NO plastic hit the trash!!!!! KT