Model Cars Magazine Forum

painting mixer drums

after browsing through the all ready mix site at different paint combos for mixer drums for what seemed like days on end, I tried different ways of striping my mixer drum just to become disgusted. my mixer is under glass now but I have more in the works and I was wondering if ANYONE out there has a good way to mask off a drum for painting spirals in particular, thanks for the help in advance guys!

Sam, I recommend the 3m pinstripers tape. Its very strong and very flexible. Then you just mask over it. The tape is only about 1/8 wide. This can be used to make a clean spiral down the drum. Short of that, most hardware stores carry different colors of "plastic tape" that is like electrical tape but the adhesive is not as messy. Ive used this to make fat stripes in the past.

Terry- does the pin striping come off easily? I've contemplated using it but I just haven't tried it yet.

Yes, its easy to work with and you can get some tight curves with it. Just make sure that your primer and base coat are well cured. I used some cheap junk that was not my norm, and the striping pulled the paint off. Since then, Ive stuck to my regular paint and no problems. Ive heard good things about the Tamiya tape also.

Edited by Superpeterbilt

I tried the tamiya tape and it worked ok, but it wanted to bunch u on the inside of the curve so to speak, and I had a hard time getting a good seal on the outsides, but I may have had a bad roll, who knows!

Its a technique you have get a feel for. Hold your thumb on the curve and pull tight with your other hand as your laying it down. There will be no bunching if you do that. Just practice doing a flame job on a motorcycle tank, and youll be good to go ;)

• 6 months later...

I use colored electrical tape ( black leaves nasty marks on light colors) and also 3m makes a body shop tape that works very well- i usually just spray the base coat of white or gray primer , clean it with alcohol, depending on the size of stripes I'll use quarter inch or half inch tape wrapping around the drum 3 to 4 times , then spray your colors, lightly wet sand it and then Clear coat it - when using the rex kit drum with the big lap welds it is difficult I usually try to push the tape up close to the line somtimes blow dry  it works or use a lil rubber cement soo it sneaks down tight , either way somtimes u get a lil paint bleed u can use an exact blade to lightly scrape the paint off the paint underneath if your very careful or just touch it up and lightly wet sand it before clear coat - for other patterns like diamonds , polka dots I usually go with decals 

20140806_123456.jpg

20141002_125813.jpg

20141002_130950.jpg

20141025_165645.jpg

20141119_140949.jpg

Chris,

I must say your models are outstanding! Very impressive! I am familiar with the CSI paint scheme, as it was used by E.L. Dauphinais in North Grafton MA (I'm quite sure they owned CSI).

Seeing the DM 800 brings back lots of memories of their well maintained fleet!

I have not actually tried it but if I was to try it, I would use half inch wide Tamiya masking tape and I would start by putting to tape rollers together side-by-side and then applying two strips of tape at a time, making sure the sides of the tape stay  right next to each other all the way to the end, essentially covering the barrel completely with tape where the stripes would be. Then, after you get them burnished down really well, simply pull off one strip of tape and this will leave you with a perfect gap from beginning to end.

I use colored electrical tape ( black leaves nasty marks on light colors) and also 3m makes a body shop tape that works very well- i usually just spray the base coat of white or gray primer , clean it with alcohol, depending on the size of stripes I'll use quarter inch or half inch tape wrapping around the drum 3 to 4 times , then spray your colors, lightly wet sand it and then Clear coat it - when using the rex kit drum with the big lap welds it is difficult I usually try to push the tape up close to the line somtimes blow dry  it works or use a lil rubber cement soo it sneaks down tight , either way somtimes u get a lil paint bleed u can use an exact blade to lightly scrape the paint off the paint underneath if your very careful or just touch it up and lightly wet sand it before clear coat - for other patterns like diamonds , polka dots I usually go with decals 

20140806_123456.jpg

20141002_125813.jpg

20141002_130950.jpg

20141025_165645.jpg

20141119_140949.jpg

Christopher, thanks for the info, i will definitely try this on my next mixer, your builds are what inspired me to build mine, your weathering is spot on, especially on the tires!