#42 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Thanx Wayne! I'm satisfied with it now. It's as low as it can go with the stock clip. Progress will be slow on this since I'm still working towards finishing up my Comet project and just tinkering on this one. Where could I find some more modern pro stock/street wheels?

#43 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

got the mill in today

1357352937.jpg

the longblock is soaking in ovencleaner to get the chrome off :)

Roger, there are several good resin casters on here who make nice deep rims

the daisies i have on mine i got from a fellow member, a second member hooked me up with some deep spyders and i also got a set of centerline

#44 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Thanx Wayne! I'm satisfied with it now. It's as low as it can go with the stock clip. Progress will be slow on this since I'm still working towards finishing up my Comet project and just tinkering on this one. Where could I find some more modern pro stock/street wheels?

Go to Ebay and look in the slot car section for Pro Track aluminum slot car wheels. In my opinion they are the best source of modern style drag wheels going. Some people think that they are a bit pricey but I feel that they are a deal for what you get. There are plenty of styles, front and rear and multiple color options as they also come anodized, if you wish. Usually about $12 for a front set and $19 for the rears, or about $32 for a complete set. Here are some examples.

DSC08341-vi.jpg

DSC00272-vi.jpg

DSC08045-vi.jpg

DSC08633-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne, 04 January 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#45 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Wayne, I've got one I'd like to join with, but I need your approval first. I did the bodywork and paint on this for a buddy back in 2007, and sent it to him but he never got the time to build it. So I got it back and just started in on it on the first of this month. It's getting the Pro Street treatment, I'm still up in the air on the engine, either the kit 340/Six Pack or a 440 from the '71 Charger kit. Your call, can I join in?

Superduster002-vi.jpg

Superduster027-vi.jpg

#46 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Your good Mike.

#47 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Wayne, I'll get some pics posted tomorrow, I'm uploading some new ones right now!

#48 SnuzBox

SnuzBox

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Winter

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Can I play along? Here is one I have been wanting to build. A 2004 GTO. Still not sure on what motor to drop in, I have many TF & FC HEMI blocks... maybe pull the Pontiac mnt motor from a PS kit.

Attached Files

#49 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

That will make a cool pro streeter Steve! I would definitely go with a Pontiac engine for it.

#50 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

The modern GTO loks good as a race car/pro street. Welcome aboard.

#51 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,227 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

... maybe pull the Pontiac mnt motor from a PS kit.

I'd go that route! I think one of the Revell kits ('55 Chevy?) even has Pontiac valve covers.

#52 sdangers

sdangers

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Full Name:Soren Danger Sorensen

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hey guys

Wow - some incredible builds coming along here - great looking machines.

Well, my "goat" is also coming along - allthough it looks more like a disaster at the moment. Unfortunately i invited Mr. Dremel and his friend the cutting wheel to join me :D

Started to cut apart the interior - removed the tunnel and back seat, to replace it with tube and plain sheet from Evergreen - will give it a clean look

SAM_0103_zps4b1a47d5.jpg

Also cleaned out the rear part of chassis as it has to be narrowed to fit the wide rear tires

SAM_0102_zps23870d49.jpg

Cut apart the wheels i found for this build as it had all been glued together - and as i want an "open" look, i had to change that. Will look okay when finished i think

SAM_0101_zpsba72fb59.jpg

Might go for the slicks instead of road tires for the rear though.

Mid section of the bonnet was cut out aswell - i want to try make a center raised "original" hood - and if there is not room enough, i´ll simply drill two holes for the air filters

SAM_0099_zps2fdfb4a9.jpg

Front and rear bumper were fitted to the body and sanded in place - want to have a clean look on both front and rear - and painted in body colour. Cut out the rear lights, and will try to replace them with clear lenses.

SAM_0097_zps32b5395e.jpg

SAM_0098_zpsfa308721.jpg

SAM_0100_zps5a5e434b.jpg

So, thats all from me for now - hope You like my progress so far. Thanks for looking

Cheers

Søren

#53 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Soren, that is looking very good allready

one thing to consider, these cars are basically  street cars which have been modded for the drag strip as much as the law allows

in order for them to maintain thier street legal status they need to retain certain features like headlights, taillights, wipers and DOT aproved tires

those slicks might not make the cut ;)

#54 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yeah Soren, your progress is coming along nicely but Eelco is correct. Pro Street cars must be street legal which means treaded rear tires. I failed to mention that in the criteria listed in the initial post. Hopefully that small detail doesn't throw a curveball in your plans.

#55 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

you know Wayne, i could use a pro stock hood for this build and your name came up

whats the story, you casting them?

#56 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

OK, here we go with my part of this build, let's start with the backstory on this one...

This one stretches way back in history to my BMC days, Sam (Sam I Am over here on MCM) and a couple of other guys had tossed this idea around prior to my joining, but nothing ever came of it. I arrived, and it popped up again somehow, and I volunteered my services to make it a reality. So Sam sent me an AMT '71 Duster kit, and the nose and wing from AMT's horrible '69 Daytona kit, and I made them magically come together. This one has large amounts of Acrylic Filler around the nose, and it shows zero signs of shrinkage, even though it was completed back in 2007! Here's some pics of how she looks right now, let the completion of this long suffering build commence!

Superduster006-vi.jpg

Superduster001-vi.jpg

Superduster002-vi.jpg

Superduster004-vi.jpg

And a few close-ups of the nose. I took build this on for Sam mainly because I wasn't happy with my '71 Daytona's bodywork around the nose, so this one allowed me to fix my mistakes. It's also where I learned that you could cut a perfect panel line in Acrylic Filler, along with character lines from the existing body.! The underside of the nose has the lower pan from AMT's '71 Charger molded in, this was done to cover the front suspension and K-member that was clearly visible from the front.
Superduster007-vi.jpg

Superduster008-vi.jpg

Superduster009-vi.jpg

#57 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Now onto the real work, making the AMT '70 Super Bee Pro-Street chassis play nice with the '71 Duster chassis. This will be my 3rd or 4th time doing this, so I've gotten pretty good at it I hope. I started with the Pro Street chassis, I cut the rear section off so I could mate it to the Duster chassis, then removed the front section so I could use the front of the Duster chassis.

Superduster010-vi.jpg

Hacking the rear of the Duster chassis loose so I can attach to the body easily with the new, modified chassis...
Superduster011-vi.jpg

Next up, removing the rear wheel well area from the Duster chassis. I left the two side "rails" so I could make sure I had proper alignment with the original chassis location to make assembly of the modified chassis easier...
Superduster012-vi.jpg

Once the rear section of the Duster chassis was removed, I needed to fill in the holes for the kit exhaust, and fill in the holes left by the original frame rails...
Superduster013-vi.jpg

#58 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Here's the cleaned up and prepped section of the Pro Street chassis...
Superduster014-vi.jpg

And it's soon to be mate, the front section of the Duster chassis!
Superduster015-vi.jpg

Now here's where I got smart for once. The Pro Street wheel wells will not fit in the Duster body, they're too wide and straight. So I took the wheel well section of the Duster chassis and "painted" the edges with a Black Sharpie, then set it in the Pro Street wheel wells. Now I'll start sanding the Pro Street wheel wells until they match the curvature of the Duster wheel wells.  When the Sharpie is gone, I've sanded far enough...
Superduster016-vi.jpg

Look at that, it worked! No sign of the Pro Street wheel wells anywhere!
Superduster019-vi.jpg

Not too bad, huh? A bit more sanding was needed, mainly because of the height of the Pro Street wheel wells, but it fits perfectly now!
Superduster020-vi.jpg

Now comes the fun part, making sure my wheels line up in the wheel wells. I taped the sections of the chassis together, built the rear axle, and front suspension temporarily, and checked out my work...
Superduster024-vi.jpg

Superduster025-vi.jpg

Superduster027-vi.jpg

Since we look good and lined up, a bit of Tamiya glue was applied to the joints between the different sections. Once the glue has dried, I'll pop the chassis loose, and apply some Acrylic Filler to the top sides of the joints to strengthen it all!
Superduster028-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike, 07 January 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#59 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

The chassis has been removed from the body and Acrylic Filler was added to the top side of the joints. Once it's cured fully, I'll work on getting the driveshaft tunnel to match between the front and middle sections, then I can move on to the rest of the build!

SuperDuster029-vi.jpg

SuperDuster030-vi.jpg

SuperDuster031-vi.jpg

SuperDuster032-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike, 07 January 2013 - 05:03 PM.

#60 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

The chassis is now set, I got the driveshaft tunnel to match between the front and rear sections, threw some primer at it, then laid down some Flat Black to make it all pretty! It's not flawless, but I'm not expecting anyone to be inspecting the underside of this model! That's all for tonight, I'll bring it up to it's current state tomorrow night!

SuperDuster036-vi.jpg

SuperDuster037-vi.jpg

SuperDuster038-vi.jpg

And I'm going to go with a basic Black interior, just to make it easier. That, and the body is the big draw on this one, who cares what color the interior is, it's a SuperDuster!
SuperDuster039-vi.jpg