Model Cars Magazine Forum

"FIBERGLASS" REINFORCEMENT

62rebel

Okay, not real fiberglass; but a similar concept.

i've had to graft major portions of models together or repair broken ones and putting plastic or wood strips inside some is just not possible.

when i was trying to fake a "black beauty" together from pieces of '66 mercury and '66 t-bird roofs, i had plenty of trouble getting the widened and stretched t-bird roof to fit the merc body and still allow the interior tub to fit inside. so; i hit upon a trick i learned from my dad and his stick-and-paper airplanes. i soaked a strip of paper towel in ca glue, just enough to get it good and wet, not dripping, and laid it across the seam i was having trouble keeping closed. i held the parts in alignment until the ca set, but you could use accelerator. the towel acts like the glass fiber and the ca acts as the resin, and it turns out pretty tough. it only took a couple of strips to hold the top in alignment.

grafting together sectioned bodies works the same way; and the thin cross section of the paper almost eliminates extra work fitting the interior past plastic strips.