Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trailer Skirt Air Deflectors?

There are the angled ones under the trailers. When did these start coming into use? Most of the ones I see are some kind of flexible material, but in pics I swear I've seen rigid ones.

Some of you on here have made them, what did you make them from, and how did you attach them? It seems to me, it might be kind of an important thing to put on the Moebius 53 foot Reefer. Most modern trailers I see have them.

I wanna say the government kinda bullied companies into them around 2011. There are different types, some are straight sheets of aluminum that are mounted at an angle, there is a type that is aluminum that runs straight then angles in, there is a composite/plastic type that is formed with ribs in it and some companies paint them to match, a couple companies out here that have those are Stockley and Wanship. Western Distribution out of Denver has a few trailers where they mounted those big chrome whale tails underneath. There is also a box looking deal that does the same thing. The purpose of the skirts is fuel economy. I have yet to make any but there is a few members who have. Hope this rambling helps.

i heard california requires them for 53' over the road trailers. i've installed dozens of strehl brand trailerblades (thats what strehl calls them).

the customers that i was able to talk to all said that these are needed to make runs to california. strehl claims that theres a 5% savings in fuel

economy.

Don't know why it took so long for them to be required, really....Almost every truck in Europe seems to have some type of trailer skirting....Whether it be some tool boxes or just skirting it's there.....

They're not hard to make, Man....It's simpler than you might think.....Just take some flat plastic and cut two about an inch and a quarter high, and to however long it is from the tandem to the landing gear.....Take some quarter inch plastic angle and affix it to the top of each piece.....Then glue them in place on the trailer.....

Most of the 1:1's are installed with the simplest of square tubing here and there....And I've seen them installed on the inside of the landing gear as well as the outside.....Cheap is the name of the game in this world, I'm sure.....

Here's what I've done....

SAM_66231024x413_zps2b343f42.jpg

SAM_66251024x768_zpsc16e8f58.jpg

SAM_66271024x768_zps8594801c.jpg

SAM_59211024x484_zpsd349c0e5.jpg

SAM_59241024x485_zps556d3a9a.jpg

Seriously....Don't over think it, Man.....It's just that easy.....

Now the trailer tail is another story all together, though.....I think it looks a little goofy, in my opinion, so I doubt I'll ever attempt one.....

Edited by kilrathy10

I've seen our local Con-Way 53 footers running those skirts for longer runs out west. Interesting question mike. I may dig into this one myself. B)

I have also seen them on their pups too.

i heard california requires them for 53' over the road trailers. i've installed dozens of strehl brand trailerblades (thats what strehl calls them).

the customers that i was able to talk to all said that these are needed to make runs to california. strehl claims that theres a 5% savings in fuel

economy.

Supposedly that is the claim that they save fuel, I just see them as another thing for rookies to tear off! :lol:

There are the angled ones under the trailers. When did these start coming into use? Most of the ones I see are some kind of flexible material, but in pics I swear I've seen rigid ones.

Some of you on here have made them, what did you make them from, and how did you attach them? It seems to me, it might be kind of an important thing to put on the Moebius 53 foot Reefer. Most modern trailers I see have them.

Actually Mike, all of the skirts themselves are rigid, the only thing that is flexible is a rubber strip at the bottom of the skirt, which is the black area JT replicated seen best in his first pic above (and below in this reply) that is to prevent damage going into angled docks where the skirt may drag the pavement. The ones in JT's pics are the most common setup, and when installed on a reefer, they also have two holes cut in them for the filler neck of the tank and the fuel gauge in the center of the driver's side tank face. These two pics have another style of skirt, and these were both pics of brand new Wabash trailers on the factory lot in Lafayette, IN.

522681_329665520430118_1838691342_n.jpg

HPIM3466.jpg

By the way, for those of you that may be wondering why the second trailer is white, it was a dedicated use trailer (Best Buy if I do remember correctly) that also had a roll up door instead of barn doors.

There is also a brand that I seen once that slides with the tandems and also there is one trailer similar to this one I found in a Google search that I pulled at work that the skirts meet in the middle of the trailer.

airplow_banked_turn-good_zpsqpbyulk3.jpg

Walmart and others also use these style skirts.

DSCF2173.jpg

Don't know why it took so long for them to be required, really....Almost every truck in Europe seems to have some type of trailer skirting....Whether it be some tool boxes or just skirting it's there.....

They're not hard to make, Man....It's simpler than you might think.....Just take some flat plastic and cut two about an inch and a quarter high, and to however long it is from the tandem to the landing gear.....Take some quarter inch plastic angle and affix it to the top of each piece.....Then glue them in place on the trailer.....

Most of the 1:1's are installed with the simplest of square tubing here and there....And I've seen them installed on the inside of the landing gear as well as the outside.....Cheap is the name of the game in this world, I'm sure.....

Here's what I've done....

SAM_66231024x413_zps2b343f42.jpg

SAM_66251024x768_zpsc16e8f58.jpg

SAM_66271024x768_zps8594801c.jpg

SAM_59211024x484_zpsd349c0e5.jpg

SAM_59241024x485_zps556d3a9a.jpg

Seriously....Don't over think it, Man.....It's just that easy.....

Now the trailer tail is another story all together, though.....I think it looks a little goofy, in my opinion, so I doubt I'll ever attempt one.....

Nice job on the skirts JT, but here is a little help for you next set. :D

Utility-USS120A_zpsikrgwcht.jpg

Boy Matt got a pic of every 1 I mentioned above. Prime has them on their newer spread axle flatbeds, not exactly sure how they help on those. I've also seen them on some end dumps out here.

Yep, between 17 years on the road and Google, it helps! :lol:

The newer trucks are also wearing skirts, they may be hard to see here, but there is rubber skirting on the fairings of my Cascadia. Schneider also uses those wheel covers on all there tractors.

10348881_728961570500509_713086780618105

I'll try to get better pics when I go back to work, and also if I see any other odd styles of skirts at work, I'll get some good pics.

The first company out this way I seen with skirts was Mesilla Valley Transport. They started using super singles, the put big moon discs over the rims, then bought Prostars, exclusively. Then they put skirts, then the trailer tails, I've seen a few with some sort of thing between the cab and trailer.

Hey rookies gotta learn somewhere. I'd probably be better as a rookie about ripping stuff off a rig, because I do alot of 4 wheelin, and unlike most wheelers I DO care about body damage, because while I don't believe in a pavement princess, there's also no reason to destroy a perfectly nice looking rig. Especially when it's also your family hauler, and daily driver. So while I've driven on double black diamond trails I'm careful with my lines and I won't risk destroying anything just to get it through. Even if it isn't my money it's someone elses and they might not appreciate it enough where I may be promoted to customer if I shall ever end up driving.

There is a very large Schneider yard here and almost none of their rigs have wheel covers.

I can see a fuel savings from these. I had my jeep wrecked a couple of weeks ago, well I've had to keep driving it while waiting for insurance to pay up. Well I had to drive it to my sisters wedding a couple of hours away. So, my jeep was getting 22MPG on the highway, on the way up I was getting about 17MPG, and wondering what was going on. I expect lower mileage this time of year due to the garbage they put in the gas, it's normal. But not that much of a loss. I noticed the plastic cladding on the rear door was catching the air and sticking out from the front kind of scooping it. I pulled over, ripped it off, threw it in the back, and increased to 19MPG. With the kind of power these rigs are putting out, I don't expect to make as much of a difference. Just like a V8 won't lose as much mileage as a 4 cylinder will when the AC is on. There is still a difference and 5% may be low but considering the amount of miles and fuel these rigs go through 5% in one year adds up. So I'm prepared to believe the claims, as long as those numbers don't start rising.

I'm doing a spread on my 53' and I just really wanted to get these skirts since it's supposed to be more modern. Since I'm doing it as an owner op custom trailer to match the truck I can get a little creative. Might use actual aluminum.

Hey rookies gotta learn somewhere. I'd probably be better as a rookie about ripping stuff off a rig, because I do alot of 4 wheelin, and unlike most wheelers I DO care about body damage, because while I don't believe in a pavement princess, there's also no reason to destroy a perfectly nice looking rig. Especially when it's also your family hauler, and daily driver. So while I've driven on double black diamond trails I'm careful with my lines and I won't risk destroying anything just to get it through. Even if it isn't my money it's someone elses and they might not appreciate it enough where I may be promoted to customer if I shall ever end up driving.

There is a very large Schneider yard here and almost none of their rigs have wheel covers.

I can see a fuel savings from these. I had my jeep wrecked a couple of weeks ago, well I've had to keep driving it while waiting for insurance to pay up. Well I had to drive it to my sisters wedding a couple of hours away. So, my jeep was getting 22MPG on the highway, on the way up I was getting about 17MPG, and wondering what was going on. I expect lower mileage this time of year due to the garbage they put in the gas, it's normal. But not that much of a loss. I noticed the plastic cladding on the rear door was catching the air and sticking out from the front kind of scooping it. I pulled over, ripped it off, threw it in the back, and increased to 19MPG. With the kind of power these rigs are putting out, I don't expect to make as much of a difference. Just like a V8 won't lose as much mileage as a 4 cylinder will when the AC is on. There is still a difference and 5% may be low but considering the amount of miles and fuel these rigs go through 5% in one year adds up. So I'm prepared to believe the claims, as long as those numbers don't start rising.

I'm doing a spread on my 53' and I just really wanted to get these skirts since it's supposed to be more modern. Since I'm doing it as an owner op custom trailer to match the truck I can get a little creative. Might use actual aluminum.

I only get on rookies because I've seen a bunch of stupid stuff in 17 years! :lol: At one time I was one of the rookies too, I just have always been more safety oriented than most drivers though, mainly because my brother was also a driver and lost his life in a crash 6 years before I followed in his footsteps. His accident was medically related, but still it makes me more safety conscious, as in shutting down in bad weather like snow and making sure I do an inspection any time I park, even if it is just going the truck stop after I get fuel. Schneider makes us do an annual safety ride along, which I am having Tuesday, and I'm sure the safety man will only have the same comments he did last year, my bad habit of resting my right hand on my gear shift! :lol:

Also Mike, surprisingly I don't see many owner ops pulling their own trailers (at least around here) running the skirts even though you'd figure they would want the most fuel saving gadgets they could afford. The only ones that are common are ones leased to companies like Schneider that are pulling company owned trailers. Another idea you might want to think about with the skirts since you said your plan is a spread axle is adding a tool box between the spread on both sides. The theory behind the skirts is to reduce the air drag that gets sucked under the trailer in the openings, and there would be a drag area in the spread, and the boxes would help reduce that area just like the skirts do, plus anything to add chrome on a nice custom truck! :D

Nice job on the skirts JT, but here is a little help for you next set. :D

Utility-USS120A_zpsikrgwcht.jpg

Hey, Man...Thanks for that pic.....It does help....I haven't had a chance to crawl underneath a new one.....I was just guessing for the most part....The one I did glance at used some square tubing here and there.....As everyone's pics demonstrate; there's more than one way to skin a cat.....But it does confirm what I was thinking about cost effective materials used....This setup has to be about as light as it can get.....

I agree with wanting to save fuel, but I am sick and tired of the way the government makes the decisions for us. Up until my disability, I was pulling a reefer, I ran pretty much where the company asked me to, however once it became mandatory for skirts in Cal. I stopped running there. They not only require skirts but you have to have a certified clean diesel, not only the truck but the reefer too. I forget what year it goes into effect, I think 2020, you will have to have wide based singles. It's just too much to expect the little guy to do. Yes I bought a newer tractor, a 2011 Pete 387, but I couldn't afford to buy a newer reefer. So I stopped running there. I did replace the certified clean sticker on the drivers door with one that read " Certified Not To Run In The Peoples Republic Of California". Now I don't have anything against most of the people of California, but don't shove you laws down my neck. I believe there should always be an exemption for the 1 truck owner operator. Also I don't blame the rookies for ripping them off, most of the time. I have seen so many docks that angle down that you can't help but rip them. Not even a seasoned pro could do anything about that, short of not backing into their dock. That's like when Fed Ex Freight told us the best way to prevent backing accidents was to not back, If you don't back then you can't do your job. Just saying, there has to be a point when common sense applies. I will get off my soap box now.

By the way JT, those are nice looking on your trailer. I model a little older era of trucking, sort of the beginnings of the 53 footer and earlier, But I will have an Xtra Lease 53' reefer, I may have to go all out and put skirts on it. It would be the newest asset on my diorama.

Edited by Rign14

At least in my current job, I don't have to worry about CA, I only deal with western PA, eastern OH and most of WV, but if the 2020 use of super singles means national fleets like Schneider move to them completely, that will be the year I retire! I just don't like singles, I'm too oldschool and see it like this, if I blow a tire other than a steer, I at least have another to safely limp to the next exit ramp or truckstop if one is very close and get off the road, but singles mean I'm stuck on the side of the road. I've also heard they are horrible in the snow and ride rougher than a dual set. The only truck I ever drove with singles was in Dallas when I worked for Werner, I was there waiting to be assigned a truck and they had me shuttling new Petes from the factory in Denton to the Dallas terminal. They were all small bunk 386s that were supposed to be for a dedicated account and of the 6 I brought back, some had singles and some had duals, and the singles did ride rougher and tended to "walk" more than the dual equipped trucks just bobtailing.

Also, Cliff, not saying they don't have them, but I don't remember seeing any Xtra Lease trailers with skirts. Walmart will get some in at stores and in the yards as extra storage for the Thanksgiving and Christmas season that we call "turkey trailers" and some that were at the yard especially were newer units, and I don't remember seeing skirts on them.

I could write a book on single vs dual, I'm that much of a geek, on pros and cons and theory, but I won't.

I'd love to put a toolbox on each side between the spread, but I can't see paying that kind of price for the resin, and I've tried and wasted alot of plastic and such trying to make a toolbox, and it just ain't happening. Though I may go ahead and put a skirt in there too. I'm not Canadian, and I trash on Canada alot(just some good fun with the friends I have there so it's only in jest), but I like the way the spreads look, and I also like the way the trailers look with their wheels way out back. Always thought they looked goofy with the wheels way up as far forward as they can go. Though I do understand why it's done that way.

Out here though I do see trailers with flexible skirts when I'm driving down the highway(keep in mind I'm not a truck driver, don't have the dough to be able to survive and pay the bills for the family in order to go through the training) sometimes. It's not all the time mind you but overall at least the short trips I take I see more flexible skirts. They appear to be a really heavy rubber or vinyl, and the mounts are pretty short(you can tell by the rivets or lag bolts or whatever that mount the skirts, though there does seem to be some stiff but still flexible supports that extend to the bottom. Unfortunately my wife doesn't drive, and can't take a photo or video to save her life. Maybe one of these days I'll remember to load up the dash cam before I take off. Might be in a couple of weeks, but the freeway trip will be short most of it will be 2 lane highway as I head to the coat on my vacation with the wife. Assuming I've gotten my insurance check by then and gotten my new truck/SUV/whatever.

I can honestly say I have never seen one in person, but I have on google images, so maybe they are all out west somewhere

Well guess what Cliff, as I was sitting at the gate leaving the DC today, I seen an Xtra Lease trailer wearing skirts!! I couldn't see if it was a reefer or not, because we do haul dry grocery out of there as well, but it was at least an Xtra with skirts.

All the skirts themselves are fiberglass, aluminum, or plastic depending on the manufacturer of the skirt, but the ones like JT replicated on his are only flexible at the bottom where they are black. That area is most likely rubber, because sometimes driving down the road they will "wave" at you with the air currents. I'm around these every day, and a few different manufactures styles, I can get some pics if you like and post them when I get home after that.

Funny you should say that, my wife was taking me to the hospital yesterday, and low and behold I saw an Xtra lease reefer with skirts. I almost couldn't believe it as we were just talking about them and there it was. I should have snapped a pic but before I could get the wife's phone out he had exited off the highway.