Model Cars Magazine Forum

So There I Was...

Guest rick r

So there I was...

bigtime magazine writer guy (Muscle Car Review) leaving with friends for lunch after a successful morning meeting with a great car collector/client... (www.surfcitygarage.com/virtual tour).

As I step off the curb into the parking lot I trip, wake up flat on the ground a minute or 2 later, stunned, bleeding, no feeling in my extremities...

Paramedics, ambulance ride (code 3!),, hospital E-room, tests, IVs, shots, forms, light tests, big machines, scans, barbed-wire neck brace, wheelchair, pain, pills, arrogant neurosurgeon, cool young nurses(!!!), overnight stay, decent food, no sleep, tests, shots, IVs, out at noon next day with some improvement, more next week...

Possible spinal surgery in a few weeks if I don't improve in the short term...

Company has generous insurance coverage, so all I have to worry about is...

If I have to have surgery I'll be down for a week, (first time ever)...

What should I build while I'm down???

Edited by rick r

HUH???

WAIT...!

2 VICADIN????

TWO... VICADIN???

YIKES!!!

I'd go comatose!

I'm a terrible 'swimmer', actually like the concept of 'senses', though in this instance I lost that for awhile. Quite a shock for me, Mr. 'Hardy survivor type o' guy'. Biggest problem has been lack of sleep, upended scedule, general hassle of all of this new stuff I'm up against now. I'm thinking of taking the Vicadin off the schedule tonight, don't like the lack of 'control' much.

DID prime 3 '49 Mercs 'n' 3 other kits at 3:30 AM though, so all inirtia is not lost... !

Rick, you have my condolenses.spinal injuries are no laughing matter.I've had 3 major spinal surgeries.I suffer from degenerative disc disease, so I truly feel your pain.As far as the model building part goes, I picked up several of those Polar Light's and Amt pre painted kits for about $4 at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago, washed them and cleared them w/ some Krylon clear and they actually look pretty nice, I foiled over the painted chrome and they looked even better.These kits kinda give you a jump start and make nice looking "shelf" models.

Wow. rick r .......... when did this happen ...I hope everything turns out well , It will be easy , it all depends on how you think about the situation . Positive thinking leads you to succeed. I would say that pre-painted models is the best , you do not have to paint , but you will increase the ability to keep on the good building......Be Happy.........Barbo

So there I was...

bigtime magazine writer guy (Muscle Car Review) leaving with friends for lunch after a successful morning meeting with a great car collector/client... (www.surfcitygarage.com/virtual tour).

As I step off the curb into the parking lot I trip, wake up flat on the ground a minute or 2 later, stunned, bleeding, no feeling in my extremities...

Paramedics, ambulance ride (code 3!),, hospital E-room, tests, IVs, shots, forms, light tests, big machines, scans, barbed-wire neck brace, wheelchair, pain, pills, arrogant neurosurgeon, cool young nurses(!!!), overnight stay, decent food, no sleep, tests, shots, IVs, out at noon next day with some improvement, more next week...

A Hemi wheelchair? Flathead gurney? Turbo tilt table?

Best of luck, Rick.

Bill Barrett.

HUH???

WAIT...!

2 VICADIN????

TWO... VICADIN???

YIKES!!!

I'd go comatose!

I'm a terrible 'swimmer', actually like the concept of 'senses', though in this instance I lost that for awhile. Quite a shock for me, Mr. 'Hardy survivor type o' guy'. Biggest problem has been lack of sleep, upended scedule, general hassle of all of this new stuff I'm up against now. I'm thinking of taking the Vicadin off the schedule tonight, don't like the lack of 'control' much.

DID prime 3 '49 Mercs 'n' 3 other kits at 3:30 AM though, so all inirtia is not lost... !

Seriously though take it slow and easy and do what the doc says. As I can sympathize as my mother had a

degenrative back disease probably similar to Samm1970 and was in pain for most of her life.

Take care.

So there I was...

Oh ###### man, I hope you are okay. I guess that's why I have got any emails from ya.

I think you sould take a crack at either a Johan Turbine or IMC GT-40 :)

I had another friend who slipped and fell on a slippery shop floor. For ten years I heard him complain about back problems until one day his wife whipped something at him and trying to dodge it he spun around, lost his balance and fell flat on his ass. Funniest thing I ever saw. Fixed his back up, too. Never had a problem since.

Vicadin? Vicadin! Vicadin is for girls. Try 2 750 perks. That will fix ya up.

Edited by CAL

Seriously though take it slow and easy and do what the doc says. As I can sympathize as my mother had a

degenrative back disease probably similar to Samm1970 and was in pain for most of her life.

Take care.

Thanks Much Big & all you guys... I wasn't ready for such a classy group of responses! Had a great (busy) day today, getting ready for all the dreaded Drs. stuff this week, but I feel like I'm on the paved part of the return road at very least. Meet tomorrow with guy at place where I fell... he didn't push me off the curb, & I didn't call the ACCIDENTES???222-2222!!!! Mexican PI lawyer guy on the bus bench, so I think we're both in good hands... Again, thanks! I'm really impressed!!!

Edited by rick r

Vicadin, Schmicadin, Tell the docs you want Dilaudid or Demerol.

While you're having visions of show rods you might come up with some build ideas.

Good luck and good health.

Update:

8 days out, OFF pain meds, still about 20% off spot... (some would say that's a vast improvement). Follow up visits w/ Dr. next week. Talked today to owner of place where I fell. He's gone lawyer, I have no more work from him for the foreseeable future or til this is settled, yet another instance of the legal industry standing up for the little guy...

That's okay with me... My influence and work has been pretty good for him, and I do have other concerns... not that big a thing...

seems as though the legal industry really believes that ALL accident victims are the same prototype Illegal alien with 11 kids looking around for a slick spot on the floor, out to snag the Ameruican Dream through the court system. Some of us aren't that way...

That said, I think you have a great point re: show cars & drugs.

I worked with Jay Orberg in the 80s, that hasd to be the reason for his stuff!!!

Edited by rick r