1:18 Maisto Diecast 1963 Dodge Dart getting a once-over

Junkman

Case in point is this model:

pic018.jpg

pic019.jpg

pic020.jpg

pic022.jpg

pic023.jpg

As with many Maistos, the model is basically sound, but is lacking in the finish department. I already had pimped it with bare metal foil, and it quite well held it's own next to my Highway 61 Dodge. But only quite. Hence I decided to completely re-do it.

I also don't like my US-Cars in the bold and loud colours so may people use nowadays for their restorations. IMO they try to re-create a car that never existed to depict an America that never existed. I use the term 'circus tractors' for them and US-Car meetings are full of them. Watch old movies and look at old postcards and you will realize what I mean.

Another thing I hate with a passion is steelies with dog dish hubcaps on American cars. If I was in the market for one of them back then, of all available options, I would have ticked a set of full wheel covers first of all on the order sheet. Now, since there is not a chance in hell I can replicate a set of full wheelcovers for a 63 Dodge in 1:18, I decided to swap the wheels for some custom ones. Hence I got me a set of Lane Torque Thrusts, which I think aren't too bold and in good taste.

pic024.jpg

So, what I want to do is the following:

- Strip and re-paint the model in a more subdued colour.

- Get rid of the hood scoop.

- Re-work the entire interior.

The chassis is not very well detailed, hence I will just leave it alone.

I will also leave the 426 Max Wedge in for the time being, until a suitable replacement finds it's way into my dungeon. I'd like an ordinary single carb B or RB.

So let's get this thing apart.

This is actually quite straightforward, it is held together by seven screws.

- Two secure the rear axle.

- Once the rear axle is lifted away, you have access to another two screws in the rear wheel houses.

- Two screws secure the front K-member.

- One screw is hidden in the bellhousing.

Once those screws are out, the model literally falls apart.

The rear seat back is secured with two black plastic rivets:

pic025.jpg

I found that you can just pry them out with a small screwdriver:

pic026.jpg

pic027.jpg

The seats themselves are made from a soft plastic, and you must pry them off the floor with considerable force:

pic028.jpg

These are the interior components:

pic029.jpg

The rest of the disassembly is quite straightforward, all the trim is held in place being heat riveted. Just scrape away the excess plastic and push all parts out from behind. You will end up with this:

pic030.jpg

Maisto gives you a lot of parts for your money. More than I have imagined anyway.

But the paint finish is atrocious:

pic031.jpg

Yeah, and then I wanted to strip the paint and noticed that I ran out of paint stripper. Ordered some new one off Ebay on Sunday evening, but it hasn't arrived yet :(

Right. I didn't really want to put myself through this messy poisenous paint stripper process, so I did what every self-respected engineer would have done - see whether someone else came up with a good idea and copy it. Looking throught the tutorial section on a diecast forum, I noticed that quite a few Americans mentioned a spray-on paint stripper that works a treat and isn't messy. From experience I know that what is available elsewhere is also available in England, it will just have a completely different name and be sold for a completely different purpose. So I was thinking long and hard. A spray that removes paint, especially automotive paint...

Found it! It's called Graffiti Remover over here, at least I gave it a try. And what can I say? It bloody works!

This is the result after ten minutes:

pic033.jpg

Unfortunately, for my little weather experiment, I only bought a small 150 ml can. I would need to do a second application to get the rest off, but its empty now.

My conclusion is however, that I am very impressed with the result. And it isn't messy, doesn't smell, and it does all the work for me. I could literally shake the paint off after it had lifted, which only took a few minutes.

So here you go, Brits:

If you want to strip a diecast model, get yourself a couple of cans of Graffiti Remover from your local DIY!

Time for colour selection. This is always the toughest decision for me. The colour of choice is now Turquoise Poly, a 1963 Dodge only colour.

So this is what I am trying to achieve:

Recently-Updated94-720x450.jpg

I have a quite comprehensive collection of paint chips. So here we go:

pic034.jpg

Then, after rummaging through the paint collection in the basement for an hour or two, we have a winner:

pic035.jpg

nice project. :)

To tell the truth, dog dishes came on many cars of this era. The cost of full hubcaps was enough to stop many. My Dad had a '65 Ford Galaxy he got at year end for the cost and had dog dishs on it. It was pretty well stripped for a Galaxy but had a Turquoise metallic paint that he couldn't delete for a cheaper solid. :lol: I think many Muscle Cars also had dog dish caps in the beginning reflecting cheap models they stuffed engines in to make a Muscle Car.

nice project. :)

To tell the truth, dog dishes came on many cars of this era. The cost of full hubcaps was enough to stop many. My Dad had a '65 Ford Galaxy he got at year end for the cost and had dog dishs on it. It was pretty well stripped for a Galaxy but had a Turquoise metallic paint that he couldn't delete for a cheaper solid. :lol: I think many Muscle Cars also had dog dish caps in the beginning reflecting cheap models they stuffed engines in to make a Muscle Car.

That's right, in the 60s and 70s full wheel covers were almost always either optional or only available on the more upscale models. Remember, back in those days cars didn't come with all the bells and whistles standard, like we're accustomed to now. My dad owned a '67 Belvedere I, the base model. It had textured rubber on the floor, not carpet. And dog dish hubcaps. That's how cars came back in the day... things like AC and carpeting and even a radio were usually optional. And cupholders? What's that??? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally the weather was good enough so I was able to continue working on this thing.

Filled in the recess for the hood scoop:

pic.jpg

pic040.jpg

Finished the primer coat:

pic041.jpg

Painted the undersides of the lids and doors, and the door jambs:

pic043.jpg

pic044.jpg

pic042.jpg

Gave it it's first coats of paint:

pic045.jpg

pic046.jpg

There are a few tiny imperfections in the paint coat, so tomorrow I will wet sand it a last time and give it a final paint coat. Then I can start with the clearcoats.

Very cool project Christian!

I love reworking diecasts...alot of people don't think they're proper models though, but hey, that's more out there for us! :D

I have to say I'm quite surprised how challenging it is. I thought I'll strip it, paint it and whack it back together in a weekend. Well, lesson learned. Whoever thinks those aren't real models should probably do one just to see what a handful they are.

I love reworking diecasts...alot of people don't think they're proper models though, but hey, that's more out there for us! :D

When you rework a diecast you are turning it into a model kit and assembling it. There is not a thing wrong with that! I have even molded some and cast them into resin to make a plastic kit out of it. :lol:

how much are these die casts? Thinking about getting one and hacking it up lol.

Paul

You can pick those up dirt cheap. I think I picked this one up when it was on sale at a local toy shop a few years back. IIRC I paid 10 quid for it.

Anyway, I finished painting the body, clearcoat and all:

pic048.jpg

pic047.jpg