Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to shortened chassis

Hi, I know this is not the first time asking that question but I would like to know how to shortened a chassis to make a single rear tractor truck. I have several junkyard trucks and I want to make this trucks a single rear tractor trucks. Any help I will appreciated. Since the chassis of this trucks are different I'm going to put a list of the trucks:

1. amt International Paystar dump truck

2.amt International 4300 eagle race truck

3. amt keworth challenge transit mixer cab & hood

4. amt ford ln 8000 short hauler

5. amt mack r 700 cab & hood

6. freightliner sd cab

Thanks in advance and have a good day!!!

I agree about the Challenge Transit Mixer, try to restore that as it is instead as it's very rare.

Howerver, shorten the frame isn't that hard, just cut out a portion somewhere between the cab and rear axles and glue the frame rails back together with some reinforcement behind the joint and you're done, you also have to shorten the drive shaft the same amount.
But convert from a dual drive bogie to single drive axle is a bit harder and mostly depends on what kind of rear suspension the kit has, Air Ride suspensions are often easier to convert than for example a Hendrickson Walking Beam or Mack Camel Back...so how you go at it varies from kit to kit.
The Freightliner SD and the Ford LN 8000 Short Hauler are already single drive so you don't have to do anything to the rear suspension there.

Edited by Force

Hey Jesus I would say DONT DO IT The Challenge transit mixer is one of the rarest truck models out there !

Good morning Doobie, yes the challenger transit mixer is very rare but I'm looking to use the mixer in other cab like the kenworth t 800 like my brother use to drive years ago in my land. I also need a engine, exhaust and chassis donor to complete this kit. I would like to be more experience to work on this project. Thanks for you post and I'm going to considered to find another mixer for the t 800 mixer project that I'm planing to work on the future.

I agree about the Challenge Transit Mixer, try to restore that as it is instead as it's very rare.

Howerver, shorten the frame isn't that hard, just cut out a portion somewhere between the cab and rear axles and glue the frame rails back together with some reinforcement behind the joint and you're done, you also have to shorten the drive shaft the same amount.

But convert from a dual drive bogie to single drive axle is a bit harder and mostly depends on what kind of rear suspension the kit has, Air Ride suspensions are often easier to convert than for example a Hendrickson Walking Beam or Mack Camel Back...so how you go at it varies from kit to kit.

The Freightliner SD and the Ford LN 8000 Short Hauler are already single drive so you don't have to do anything to the rear suspension there.

Hi Force, thanks for the advice on how to shortened a chassis. I have the two international junkyard build so I would like to know what kind of tool can I use? I know about the saw but to secure the frame to cut the chassis what can I use? (Sorry if the question is not very accurate because I'm a Spanish speaker). For the transit mixer I was lucky with this one, I bought that in a auction on e-bay with nine other junkyard trucks in good condition. I think it's almost complete but I need to double check to be sure that the body of the mixer is complete. for the freightliner S.D. I need a chassis donor or work on make one short chassis.

I usually measure and mark how much I would like to cut off, then cut the frame rails with a fine tooth saw, sand the joining surfaces slightly so they are square and glue them back together and I usually reinforce joint on the inside of the rail with a piece of sheet styrene...tools needed, fine tooth saw, sand paper hobby knife and glue.

Mostly I do the cut before I build the chassis because it's easier, but you can do it after the frame is assembled if you're careful, just make sure the cut is square so the frame still is straight after you're done.

Edited by Force

I usually measure and mark how much I would like to cut off, then cut the frame rails with a fine tooth saw, sand the joining surfaces slightly so they are square and glue them back together and I usually reinforce joint on the inside of the rail with a piece of sheet styrene...tools needed, fine tooth saw, sand paper hobby knife and glue.

Mostly I do the cut before I build the chassis because it's easier, but you can do it after the frame is assembled if you're careful, just make sure the cut is square so the frame still is straight after you're done.

Thanks force that was helpful I will practice with a set of rails from amt road boss junkyard set that I have in the box.