Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford

Darrell Gwinn

Well after a long while of having my models stashed away I pulled this one out after checking out the Traditional Rod and Kustoms forum. I got this bad boy from Raul a while back and thought it would be perfect for what I wanted to do. So I just started into it, cut out the trunk, hinged it, sectioned it a bit, and now Im working on the frame. Probably gonna use a 409 in this since I hardly ever see them in any hot rods.

100_0083.jpg

100_0084.jpg

100_0085.jpg

100_0087-1.jpg

Edited by Dirk

Looks like you're off to a good start!!

Yes, the 409 from the AMT '62 Bel Air is probably one of the better looking ones out there. If you have or get one of the drag racing '62 Bel Air kits then you can build the 409 based Z-11 427 drag racing version which is a really cool and unique engine.

Later,

Looks like you're off to a good start!!

Yes, the 409 from the AMT '62 Bel Air is probably one of the better looking ones out there. If you have or get one of the drag racing '62 Bel Air kits then you can build the 409 based Z-11 427 drag racing version which is a really cool and unique engine.

Later,

Thanks! And I am using the 409 from one of the drag racing '62s, just not sure of how im gonna dress it up yet... lol

Lookin' good Dirk, an '09 is a good choice. Press on!

Thanks, I thought so too. And yes I will be pressing on, once i figure out what to do with this frame... Im in the process of 'Z'ing the rear and it is a massive z...lol not sure about the front though, may just leave it as is

Thanks! And I am using the 409 from one of the drag racing '62s, just not sure of how im gonna dress it up yet... lol

If you're interested, send me a PM with your new email address and I'll send you the pics I have of the 1:1 Z-11 engine.

While you can't see much of it once it's stuffed deeply into the engine bay of a '58 Impala, the 409 is my favorite of the older engine designs.

DSC04374-vi.jpg

Later,

lowered the rearend a bit i see. ME LIKEY ;)

Yes, I like 'em lowwww! Still have to decide if i want to go lower in the front as well, but I like the looks of it as is... but im open to suggestions.

If you're interested, send me a PM with your new email address and I'll send you the pics I have of the 1:1 Z-11 engine.

While you can't see much of it once it's stuffed deeply into the engine bay of a '58 Impala, the 409 is my favorite of the older engine designs.

DSC04374-vi.jpg

Later,

Pm sent, yea Ive always liked the design as well and I think it will look pretty good in this rod

if the 409 gonna have a blower with 6 2s on top this might be a hot rod im planing to build for real one of theses days, years, decades. whatever it maybe a dream but i know im im gonna be watching this build.

That's what I kind of had in mind, I knew I wanted the six 2 barrels, but blown with six two barrels is even better! Just need to get some pics of that set up...

by the looks of it it looks like your gonna be shooting for a true east coast rod with so are you gonna stick with that same theme on the paint to. heavy flake or maybe some candy cause then you would really be cooking with fire.

Now what is it you did here? How did you do it?

well clay Im not quite sure what youre asking here, maybe im dumb... haha but anywho that pic is just the mock up pic after the section, just tryin to see how she will sit. the front will be just a tad bit lower though.

:lol: ######,Dirkster, THAT is one wicked lookin lil Hot Rod!I sure do like it. Now all ya need is a really mean color to show off it's evil intent! Bright Racing Orange mebbe? :lol:

Thanks, as for the color Im still deciding, I was messing around the other day with another model and I painted it duplicolor candy apple red then misted testors lime gold metal flake over it and it made an almost dark copper color, its different, kinda to the point where you cant decide whether its really ugly or really cool...lol so i may paint it that color, if i can get some good pics ill post the color and see what everyone thinks

Sorry, here maybe this will help, what are you doing to the body?

Ahh, now I understand. This was may first attepmt at sectioning anything so i figured id just do a small one. So I marked out my line on both sides where i wanted to cut and since i dont have a little hack saw i just used the back of the ole #11 and tried to keep it straight... didnt do too bad, then i took the rocker panels that i cut of and shortened them quite a bit and sanded the edges on them and the car, put some glue on it and stuck them back on, pretty simple on this car since its short, but i like it since now it doesnt look so tall since im not gonna chop the top. still have yet to smooth outh the seem where they join and re inscribe the door lines on the rockers, but it will be done! lol

Edited by Dirk

Ahhhh gotcha. I'm gonna have to try that.

Ok so I know what a chop and a section is, but what is channeling?

Channeling is where you lower the body on the frame, in other words the body drops closer to the ground while the frame stays at regular ride height. Theres a thread in the General section that has all the details about chops, sections, and channeling. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=517

now thats a pretty color.

Thanks, hopefully I can do it again on this '32 without messing it up! Haha I hit the top of the driver side fender on that cougar on something when the paint was still wet... but besides that it turned out pretty nice and it should look even better all polished up.