Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any cheaper ways to make molds?

I have been experimenting with casting my own parts, but the few starter sets I have found do not seem to last long. I have no large hobby shops in my area, the coulple starter sets I've bought I purchased on a trip to Pittsburg, PA, but I no longer have reliable enough transportation to make the trip. I could find resin (have plenty of it), but no RTV mold material. I did try urethane molding material with terrible results. I also know there are online suppliers, but I would like to find something cheaper at the major craft stores or similar. I have been thinking of picking up some RTV blue silicone used for making and sealing gaskets at the local auto parts store, but I'm not sure if that would be similar to the two part RTV silicone the online suppliers sell for molding. Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated!

I've used both the Alumilite High Strength 3 and Smooth-On's Mold Max 20, which are very similar in hardness when cured and a of very good quality. HS3 can be found at Hobby Lobby, but it looks like your nearest HL is 70 miles away. :lol: The silicone rubber kits I purchaed (trial size) were around $30.00 each, but with the HL 40% off coupon, that drops the cost down to $18.00. ;)

If you have any local art supply stores, you can try having them order it for you, but it will still be more cost effective to order it online.

You may want to dig deep and buy the gallon size for $90.00 or so.

HS3 can be found at Hobby Lobby, but it looks like your nearest HL is 70 miles away. :) The silicone rubber kits I purchaed (trial size) were around $30.00 each

That was the starter set I had bought in Pittsburg, but like I said, I can't get up there right now because it would cost me more in diesel fuel than it's worth! I think I bought mine at Hobbytown, though. The best I have close to me is Michael's, and they have resin, but the only mold material I've found there is a brush on type and I don't know how that would do, because some of the things I'd like to cast is tractor trailer engines (most notable is the one in the Revell Peterbilt) and parts like that for future builds, and need something cheap but durable. My last resort is Micromark! Thanks Casey.