Model Cars Magazine Forum

Concept Charger

Custom Mike

Well, thanks to Trans Am Erik, I have invaded your little safe haven, and if the site crashes now, blame him! :lol: He's encouraged me to post my version of a 2 door 2006 Charger, so here we go. My plan is to incorporate almost all versions of the Charger. from '66 to '06. I left out the '75 and the little front wheel drive dogs from the 80's, since they were mistakes that should be forgotten IMHO. I'll have a tail light panel like the '66-'67, the grille from a '69, the roof and door shapes from the '71, and the side windows from the '73-74. On top of that, I added about 6 scale inches to the quarter panels to balance it out some. Then we'll add a Viper engine, and scratch up some new interior panels. Sounds like a lot of work, anyone want to do it for me? :rolleyes:

I started mine with the Revell kit, the first big change was replacing the roof with one from AMT's 71 Charger. From there I cut the doors loose from the '71 to serve as templates for the new doors. Here's the first pics, this one's about 40% complete, it was started on another site, and I'll do it on both from here out. I'll give you the condensed version with a minimum of pictures until I get to the new stuff being done. Enjoy, and remember, this is all Erik's fault!

post-1984-1191379503_thumb.jpg

post-1984-1191379587_thumb.jpg

post-1984-1191379688_thumb.jpg

post-1984-1191379803_thumb.jpg

post-1984-1191380335_thumb.jpg

Continuing with the front end, I put the '69 bumper that I cut loose from the grille in place to use as a filler. Then I snagged the front bumper/fascia from the AMT S-10 Xtreme kit, cut it in half, and added it below the '69 nose. After hours of filling, rough sanding, more filling, and some cussing for good measure, I slid the '69 grille into place. From there I added a panel above the grille, then re-worked the lower area because it was way too vertical for my tastes. And now I realize I have no more room for attachments. So now I turn to my fellow members to tell me how much of a goober I am, how come I don't know how to upload pictures, blah, blah, blah. I never claimed to be Einstein ya know! :lol: Some help here would be greatly appreciated! Ok, just point at the old fart an laugh, c'mon, it's fun!

Mike, this is a very ambitious project. It seems most of us feel the need to redesign the new Charger. Is that a sign that maybe Chrysler got it wrong? I personally think more 68 and 69 Charger and less Chrysler 300 would have been better. But I don’t design real cars for a living so I guess I will let them do it. I think it is an interesting idea to incorporate all of the different design elements from the past. Very interesting project, I want to see the finished product.

Oh well, it's ALWAYS my fault lol. Welcome to the forum Mike, good times had by all. The Charger is coming along great and that Viper V-10 should get the job done! Awesome job on the bodywork, any colors in mind yet? As far as my Charger goes, I'm gonna go with sublime green. It will have a 426 HEMI with a modern fuel injection set up, a Viper trans, and scratch built true dual exhaust. Most recently I created the door scoops using a pair of '95 Firebird hoods and the're starting to blend nicely. Check out my other build: my '07 Trans Am based on the Kevin Morgan design

Erik, I tried doing that from my Fotki page, and it didn't work, here's what I got at the top of the page;

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif

So I loaded 20 pictures to a gallery, not an easy feat when you're on dial-up. Here's what I get when I try to link to the picture there;

Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed

So I'm stumped, can anyone here lend a hand? I've been on another forum for so long that I've gotten used to the way it's done there, and can't seem to get the hang of this one. Any help out there? :unsure:

Edited by Mike S.

Thanks to Mr Obsessive, I now know how to post pictures here! Now you're all in trouble! ;) Peter, I can't stand the look of the new Charger, but I used to own a 1:1 1972 Charger, so I'm a little biased. And I always try to go a little further out on each custom I do, just to see where my limits are. This one kicked my butt for about four months, I couldn't figure what to do with the front end. But once I got past that hurdle, the work started moving quickly. On with some pics from the previous post, since I know how to do this stuff now!

ConceptCharger0042-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0046-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0052-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0059-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0062-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0072-vi.jpg

Edited by Mike S.

And now we continue with the front end and the hood. I reworked the lower area of the new front end, added a small incut area below the opening, then went to work on lengthening the hood to fit the new nose. Here's some more pictures.

ConceptCharger0113-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0123-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0090-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0091-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0104-vi.jpg

Edited by Mike S.

As I'm sure some of you have noticed, the pictures are not in sequence, but it will all work out, I promise. The next step was adding a new lower section to the rear window, and making my tail lights stretch from side to side, like the '66-'67 Charger. I started by cutting the top section of the tail light loose and gluing them to the body. Then I cut the "vertical" section of the trunk loose, to make room for the center section. I'm in the process of building a receiver for the center, which I will attach to the trunk when it's done. To make the center section, I used a piece of a damaged tail light from my 1:1 1997 Grand Prix. No, I didn't hack up my car for it, I was rear-ended a few years back, and I kept the passenger side tail light because the damage was mainly cosmetic, now it's really screwed up! I kind of like the idea of a piece of a real car on this model, has anyone else ever done this? Nah, I'm probably the only nut who would try it! This is where I sit as of now, all updates from here on out are new work, so on with the last of the old pictures!

ConceptCharger0142-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0146-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0147-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0154-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0178-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0182-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0187-vi.jpg

Edited by Mike S.

You're just going to have to wait a few days, I'm in the process of painting a Monster Truck for dropped_yellow_ranger (Troy), but I should have some more for you to check out in a few days. I've been told patience is a virtue, but I don't believe it either! ;)

Since I'm on-call at work this week, my building has slowed considerably. I finally got an hour in for some building, and since I have my '67 Charger PE set, I decided it was time to work on the new tail light panel. I cut the "Charger" letters for the '67 tail light out, laid out some guide lines with masking tape, then measured (Yes, I measured, it shocked me too! ) the spacing from the center. Starting with the "R" in the center, I laid the remaining letters out 1/16" from each other, applied some Gloss Clear Acrylic, and carefully placed each letter. I plan on letting the Clear set up for the next day, and trying some U-POL Clear over the whole thing to make sure they don't fall off later. Here's the pictures, I'm quitting for the night, because if I don't, I'm sure I'll have to run on a call.

ConceptCharger0190-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0191-vi.jpg

Edited by Mike S.

Looks like it's coming along good Mike. Good job on that lettering. I finally showed your car to my friend Brian Saturday and he really likes it too. I changed the front valance on my '06-9 Charger and I'll post a few pics later. Don't know if I mentioned it, the car I based my concept on is the early renderings of the photoshop drawing ( the terquoise one) that was in Popular Hotrodding magazine.

Erik, mine is partially based on a drawing by Doug Schramm at Creating The Lie Studios (Doug's Site), but the rest came out of my sick little mind. Here's the picture I used for reference, I didn't copy it completely, I just used it as a starting point. Doug does some incredible work, check his site for some cool drawings.

post-1984-1192247797_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, a little progress between bouts of Life and Work intruding on my building time. I cut the very bottom of the trunk off, glued it to the bottom of the trunk opening, and applied some filler. Sand, refill the low spots, sand some more, and presto, we have a bumper that is smooth all the way across. Now since I'm new here and most of you have never seen my builds, I'll let you in on a little secret. I get all the body work "roughed-in" first, then go back after all is said and done to smooth everything out prior to sealing it. So you'll see rough stuff everywhere, don't worry, it's just the way I work. Look at the avatar on the left, that looked like this at one time too, It will end up pretty when it's all said an done, I promise. After laying down a quick coat of primer, I stuck the tail lights and center piece in place to see how it all looks together. The receiver I made for the center section was scrapped, and another is being built, but I like the overall looks of this so far, let me know what you think.

ConceptCharger0192-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0193-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0194-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0195-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0196-vi.jpg

Edited by Mike S.

Jairus, that is the $64,000 question right now. I made a small receiver for it, but it got pitched, so now I'm setting that part aside until I figure out which way to go. Any ideas, I've got no clue at the moment, so any and all ideas will be considered. Since I'm stuck on that part of this build, I moved back to the front end to make my chin spoiler. Once again, AMT's S-10 Xtreme kit gave up it's front bumper, poor piece of styrene didn't even see me coming! :) I cut the chin spoiler loose, attached it to this one, then added some Acrylic Fingernail filler to the seam. Yes, that is my secret weapon when it comes to body work. I graduated from Squadron Green, to Evercoat Eurosoft, and now I use Acrylic Fingernail filler for all my body work. Stinks like mad, a real pain to sand, but it strengthens any joint you apply it to, won't shrink, is impervious to lacquers, and flexes without popping out of the seams. Of course, you'll get some really strange looks buying it at your local Sally Beauty Supply, but who cares! Enough of my praise for my filler of choice, here's a few new pictures to make you happy

ConceptCharger0197-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0198-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0199-vi.jpg

Edited by Mike S.