Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Resin shrink?

Hi all, I want to re-pop a Fra***in M**T Cadillac hood as the Revell Mono 59 Seville and Biaritz hood is all wrong, the fluting on the hood does not go far enough and the hood tends to look too high in the central area.

The AMT Ecto 59 hod flutes go to deep so thats not right either but the FM Cadillac looks ok.

My question is will the resin shrink after a time? I have made parts before for my own use and they have. I did use ordinary resin for fibre glass with some talcum powder mixed.

Then again if any resin caster makes a correct hood can someone let me know who please as i have not found an aftermarket hood of the correct proportions as yet.

Thanks, John

Hmmm...........Now that's something I've never noticed! I have a couple of the Monogram '59's and now my curiosity is up.

John, is it possible to post a pic of the differences?

I can't answer to your resin question........I do know that some resins have a "memory" in that once the part has been shaped (corrected) with hot water-------you have to be careful if you need to wash the body later, not to wash it in hot water again.

The resin will tend to go back to the shape it was originally.

Hmmm...........Now that's something I've never noticed! I have a couple of the Monogram '59's and now my curiosity is up.

John, is it possible to post a pic of the differences?

Cannot post pics of my model 59s at the moment, they buried with my other stuff awaiting a house move, but I will try to grab a few pics off the net in a day or so,i'm also on night work(enough of the sob story :blink: ).

I had a 1960 Cadillac flattop sedan and have been around these cars for about 30 years, they were pretty rare in the UK back then but now I could probably see a different one at least every weekend in the summer so I immediately noticed the difference.

The front of the hood starts ok but the area around the headlamp soon flattens out. Around the firewall(scuttle in UK) area at the screen there is a slight curve from fender to fender where as the real thing is relatively flat.

Thanks, John.