Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th Drag radial 69 camaro (5/27/14) Full set of wheels.

Prostreet

Wheels turned out excellent, Joe! I've been a novice/hobby machinist for quite some time and never got to doing the star and other more complicated wheels (I think I know the process, but never really tried it, although Sherm has generously offered to walk me through it). Machining is definitely fun, but for me it can get a little time-consuming and monotonous. It is definitely a blast when you're able to say, "wow, I made that".

Keep the updates coming. Your stuff is always a treat to follow and now with the machining and Sherm coaching you, it is about to get even more exciting.

Cool late model Camaro too!

Thx. Dirk, the star isn't as hard as i thought once i got it figured out and made sure to watch my hand wheels and the degrees i was moving it etc. I actually kind of cheated i guess you could say, i went around the wheel first using a center drill and layed out small holes to use as a guide for the pattern. worked out pretty good, now i need to step it up a notch on the next set.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx. Bill and Brian, I was finally able to get the other wheel finished. I wanted some more detail in the star so i did something around the logs holes, i think they turned out pretty good. There not 100% perfect but once it's all together nobody will even notice the tiny imperfections. Going to start working on the beadlock rings tonight, once there done i can start the front wheels. Not sure if i'm doing single or duble beadlocks yet.

012-vi.jpg005-vi.jpg006-vi.jpg

Thx., Jimmy

Yes first time Dan

Thx. Chris, Not sure about a natural, But i'm learning quick.

Dave. Thx., I would have never gotten this far with out your help.

I did this beadlock ring out as a test piece, But i like so i may stick with it, I really wanted to do some scalloped rings but that may have to wait till get some more time on the mill, the ring is raw right off the mill. Going to get the tires sanded and painted next to see what the whole package looks like. I need to order some hardware for my hubs and the rings. just need to figure out what size for the rings.

004-vi.jpg

007-vi.jpg

6-vi.jpg

Joe... Those bead locks look killer.you are doing a heck of a job on this. Looking forward to seeing what you are gonna do for the front rims. I do have to ask on the 3D rendering you showed for a future build of yours... Is that a pro stock camaro body by chance? If so hopefully they will be available in 1/16th scale too.... Lol I have always thought it would be cool to build a pro stock in 16th scale.

Joe... Those bead locks look killer.you are doing a heck of a job on this. Looking forward to seeing what you are gonna do for the front rims. I do have to ask on the 3D rendering you showed for a future build of yours... Is that a pro stock camaro body by chance? If so hopefully they will be available in 1/16th scale too.... Lol I have always thought it would be cool to build a pro stock in 16th scale.

Chris, Thank you. The body is a 2012 promod camaro but you will have the option to get it with the 2013 front end also, It will be available in all scales. They should be available soon.

Great work Joe. They are excellent.

Thank you Dale

This is a bad time of the year for me to get anything done now with the nice weather as i do alot of Road cycling and mountain biking, plus on top of that i'm redoing the walls in my house with insulation. I'm going to still try and get an hour in here and there. Any how, here's a little update on a front wheel. I just picked a picture of a front weld wheel i liked and went for it, i'm pretty much just winging this wheel to some extent, The spokes will be thinner than the one's on the rear wheel. Between the face and outer lip i put a 45Deg. chamfer( guess that's what you would call it lol), It's hard to see in the pictures. Going to start on the spokes tommarrow night, Then i will need to make a cap for the wheel. I want these to look like spindle mount wheels.

016-vi.jpg

18-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After 1 failed attempt to do the spokes for the front wheel, i made another one and got it right this time. Pretty happy for my first front wheel, One more to go. This is a spindle mount wheel, i still have to make the cap that will be threaded to hold the wheel on. It kind of looks like a 17" front wheel. Did a little mock up, this is close to what the ride height will be. The wheel still needs a final polish, and in the mock up the front wheel will actually sit in more from the fender.

009-vi.jpg

011-vi.jpg

11-vi.jpg

012-vi.jpg

013-vi.jpg

018-vi.jpg

014-vi.jpg