Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar Heavy Dump

Back in the 60's there was a Sicard snowplow that ran past our house. it had a 250 Cummins with an exhaust stack that came straight up out of the hood. It was ungodly loud. One of the old operators tells me that if they stood on it in front of the bank, the vibrations shook the windows enough to set of the alarms. It would wake me up at night when the went by.

So you exhaust system did exist in real life

Thanks

Carl Avis

Are there any trucks in real life with this setup?

I found an old slide I had of the Sicard I mentioned earlier. Its not a great pic but...

The plow on the right is an FWD the one on the left is a head on shot of the Sicard. If you look to the left of the windshield centre line there is a dark object. That is the exhaust pipe coming straight up out of the hood. The bump on the roof is a rotqting light

SICARD.jpg

I believe this oicture was taken around 1962

Thanks

Carl

EDIT: I just took a closer look at the picture. My memory must be going because the truck on the right looks like a Sicard and the one with the verticle hood stack looks like an FWD. Anyway the one on the left still has the stack ;)

Edited by dptydawg