Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilts of the future

2007 will bring a bunch of changes to Peterbilt Motors Co.'s trucks...

New model numbers, new hoods, new grilles, new bumpers, new fenders, new visors, new mirrors, new sleeper interiors, new battery boxes, new emmisions boxes, new air dams, new engines after January 2007.. NEW!

It would sure be nice to see a model company step up and make a truly modern Peterbilt kit. The Italeri Peterbilt 377 is outdated by 8 years now, the out-of-production Peterbilt 378 is out of date by 4 years. The Revell of Germany Peterbilt 359 kits are out of date by 20 years, the AMT Peterbilt is out of date by almost 30 years (we're talking styling).

Italeri or Revell or even Trumpeter needs to make a totally NEW kit

with a generic engine to avoid the licensing issues, but make the kit the new styles. Maybe a 389-131" BBC, or a 386. SOMETHING!

Then follow with a Kenworth, maybe the new T660, or a T800.

Then a nice Mack Granite or Vision.

Come on Model Companies! Give us something brand new!

I know I won't be able to keep converting older-style 377 kits due to the dramatic changes in hood designs.

I am not advocating Italeri alter the toolings for the exitsing kits, as these are still nice desirable kits, they just aren't 'modern' anymore.

Here's the 2007 Peterbilt long hood (131") 389

2007_389.jpg

Tim

The grille/crown is VERY rounded. "sad looking, like a Model T."

The shape was changed for aerodynamics. The new 389 has a more rounded crown/grille (much like the AMT Pete 359 grille). Everything that was changed was changed for either the new engine cooling requirments or aerodynamics.

Eventually the aero will take over and the 386/387 will become the prefered trucks due to the smoothness.

BUT, if you take a 'square' 379, flat roof, flattop sleeper, underhood breathers, behind-the-sleeper exhaust, and cab/sleeper extenders, you end up with the same MPG improvements as a slope-hood aero tractor.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

With all the licensing headaches and so forth now that are involved with producing new models, we'll be lucky if we see anything new in the foreseeable future. Look at the new Volvo kit. No engine, just a curbside kit. Yes, it's a nice kit, but half the fun of building the big rigs is assembling the powerplants. I can see any new toolings resembling the Volvo kit, simply a curbside model with no engine or drivetrain subassemblies. I also think Trumpeter will gauge any further new truck kits off the success of their American LaFrance kit. If early indications hold true, the new ALF kit will be one of the best selling kits of recent years, hands down.

For us big rig builders, we're in a no-win situation. We're relegated to E-Bay to get any of the older castings and then you pay with your first-born most of the time to get what you're looking for. There's an AMT orginal issue Ford LN8000 Tractor kit that is already over $120 and there are still 4 days left in the bidding. This is ridiculous. What kills me is the fact that AMT doesn't see a huge demand for releasing the old big rigs again, yet we have to pay incredible amounts of money to get a kit we want to build.

I love building big trucks, but I simply can't afford the astronomical prices they bring on E-bay. If I do end up paying a ton of money for a kit, then I'm hesitant about building it simply because of what I paid for the stupid thing. It must be nice to have an unlimited amount of money to spend on these old truck kits. Sorry for getting off track here, but it gets very frustrating for those of us on limited budgets who enjoy building trucks when we see how much these older kits and even the new releases go for in the stores and on E-Bay. :( :x

Its kinda crappy when you build a kit for someone, they tell you their budget, can't find the kit so you are forced to go on ebay and end up spending their budget on the kit alone. Then comes the deaded "ok do I tell them it will cost them more or do I throw in the cost of paint and assembly for nothing"........ not to mention my budget isn't the greatest either. I wish AMT would bring back a lot of the old issue kits, more people ask about the old ALF's now then they did a few years ago when they weren't so hard to find, nor costing upwards of $100 a piece. Something has got to give or I will have nothing to keep me occupied while still having a good time working on.

Guest tonyboy

Brian, AMT has re-issued more old truck kits in the last 5 years than you realize. If you have been building for 30 years as you claim, you would know that. You have to give them credit where it is due and in this case it is due. If you wanted to complain about there not being any totaly new AMT kits then you would have a point. They have shown a willingness to re-issue old kits. You do know that the Payhauler is being re-issued don't you? :roll:

Anthony,

I'm not ging to nit picks with you over what AMT has re-released and what they haven't. The bottom line is, the MAJORITY of the numerous big rig kits have NOT been re-released as of yet. Are they making progress? Yes. BUT, if you look at what is bringing the BIG dollars on E-Bay and in collector's collections that are being liquidated, you'll see the Freightliner DD tractor, International Transtar II, Autocar Dump Truck, and other hard to find kits are bringing in the big dollars. $127.00 for a Freightliner DD Tractor on E-bay? C'mon...give me a break. And yes, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but those prices are ridiculous to put it mildly. Unfortunately there are those who have unlimited funds to buy these old trucks. Unfortunately, not all of us do. I also have a very hard time paying that much for a kit that is going to get built.

I don't begrudge anyone for getting that kind of money either. After all, it's a seller's market for these truck kits. But that doesn't mean I like it and I really do think AMT could put a bit more effort into releasing some of the kits that are in higher demand. Obviously I'm not the only big rig modeler looking for kits like the ones I mentioned either. By the number of bids and the outrageous prices these kits are bringing, there are alot of hobbyists that are wanting these kits re-issued.

Maybe AMT would benefit from doing a search on E-bay and seeing what these kits are bringing and that may persuade them to go ahead and re-release them sooner rather than later. :? :roll:

Guest tonyboy

Brian,

You are still not getting the point. To say that AMT still has not re-issued the majority of there kits is WRONG! Who cares about E-Bay. AMT has nothing to do with the prices that are being paid on E-Bay. If some one wants to part with $120 for a 30 year old kit then good luck to them. Have you also thought that those molds that you want to see re-issued no longer exist? I think you made a mis-statement about AMT. If you want to nitpick about what I said then send me an e-mail. Iam all ears.....

Guys, AMT is now just a marketting name of RC2 company.

The kits that have been reissued either by RC2 or by independent paid-for-limited-runs (Model King, Stephens Int'l) are of the kits that are KNOWN to be in condition to reissue. ALL of the AMT and ERTL truck tools are in China. The toolings are in questionable condition and have been gone over to determine what kits can be reissued with limited investment in repairs of the tooling. Example: This is why the Kenworth W925 kit can not be reissued, Ertl changed the tooling to the T600 kit, forever altering the W925 kit. THIS is why the KW Challenge Mixer never came back, and according to sources it WAS going to be reissued several years ago but the W925 part of the kit is ruined. We got the Paystar mixer instead.

RC2 doesn't use Ebay as a "let's release this." Ebay IS a tool for seeing what is popular, it is also an indicator of "too many in the marketplace" kits.

All we can do is keep supporting the independent distributors who spend plenty of money up front to bring the limited reissues out, and to continue writing letters to RC2 to ask them to continue to repair old toolings and reissue the truck kits.

Tim

This model is based on a traditionally spec'd 2007-8 388 with the new 122" BBC, taller stance, aero mirrors, aero visor, air cleaner fairing, 2007 EPA emissions box and stacks, new grille and headlights and 389 style bumper.

I used a Revell of Germany Peterbilt 359 kit as the base. The sleeper was cut down from the 63" length to a 36".

388_41406_right.jpg

388_41406_rightside.jpg

Color is Duplicolor Victory Red with white and black.

lots of Bare Metal foil on this (grille, bumper, fuel tanks, door sill trim).

Tim

Here's a 379 that is rather unique. Long hood, 63" sleeper. That's the typical part. The unique part is that it has an underhood breather, cab-to-sleeper transition panels, sleeper box extenders with top extenders, wide-set rack mounted behind-the-sleeper mufflers and a traditional paint scheme.

bigblue_lakesuperior.jpg

Big Blue as I call this smoooth 379 sits on a stretched Revell of Germany PB 359 chassis. I added an extra set of battery boxes. The engine was painted red to simulate a modern Cummins (hood is fixed shut, so it's curbside). The red Cummins compliments the red/white/blue scheme.

The cab transition panels were scratchbuilt. The bumper is from a CanDo wrecker. Headlights are resin from Spaulding Trading and Shipping.

The mirror brackets are made from aluminum tubing.

bigblue_PBtrailer.jpg

The red pin stripe and Peterbilt logo on the trailer are vinyl from www.flaminfrog.com who loves to do work for model builders.

(Thank's Cheryl!).

I'll have more info and different views posted on my site www.timstrucks.com soon.

Thanks for looking!

Tim

• 1 month later...

These trucks builds are the greatest , a special breed of modeler ,Tims trucks sets the bar in building these beauties. I've been driving this 2006 Pete for 7 months now and just love it , its what brought me back to truck models.Even the T-2000 I came out of didnt get me goin' , but this 387 did it.IM000014-vi.jpg

Tim the tour on your Plastic Cowboy site of the Peterbilt plant in Denton was cool . I go past it twice a month on 35w on my way to Fort worth and can only see the staging for delivery lot next to the highway and the building further back and always wondered about what it was like beyond those walls. Really enjoyed the pics of those extended hood Petes. Super cool tour and site ,enjoyed it all ,"Theres no feelin' like Petermobilin'"

• 2 months later...

Tim,

The 2007 Peterbilt long hood (131") 389 looks an impressive truck. The rounded grill puts me in mind of the old Pete 350 radiator guard. Think it would look better with the round headlights though. Either way great truck, great pedigree, I'd have one if I had the money. Probably half the price that a truck would cost in the UK.

Dave Bates :D

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree that more kits should be released or re-released, but let's not fight. If anything, I would like to see more trailers, and truck bodies.

More trailers, and from different time periods, like 50's and 60's, as well as today. Maybe some Utility trailers. I'm amazed this manufacturer was forgotten about as far as kits go. Even Trailer conversion kits for more updated(or backdated for '50's trucks) trailers, or different versions of the same trailer. Like a resin cast passenger side wall for the Great Dane van trailers but without the curbside door. just that would open up some new projects. I can think of quite a few trailer conversion kits that could be done for a little variety, I just wish I knew about casting, especially large pieces like trailer side walls, or different versions of Fruehauf's tanker body where I could use the frame and suspension from the kit, but the body would be more of a chemical than a fuel tank. I'm presently working on "Americanizing" the Italeri 40' container chassis, because the kit contains a European chassis. Just researching pix at the moment. Also trying to do the same for the Revell Box Trailer. The body is right for a mid-80's Fruehauf, but it needs lengthening as it measures to only 33 scale feet. And the doors need to be corrected along with the European chassis.

But let's not fight amongst ourselves. Let's stand together on this one. Maybe we could all put our collective heads together and send RC2 a list of what we would like to see. Sure it's been done, but I think they need to be reminded. They did rerelease a handful of the old trailers since i started modeling years ago. I hate displaying a tractor without one, but that's just me. i would like to see some trailers from the 80's and 90's that would be much better mates for our Revell AG tractors, like more modern livestock and moving vans, 48 and 53' in length, more updated flatbeds, dropdecks, etc. Instead of FLD Freightliners with 1969 spec livestock vans like we have to do now, lol.

More current engines, like my ISX, would be nice too. Even the older ones, like the 1674 CAT.

Anyway, good luck to all. As for me, I'm glad to be back to work after 3 weeks off. My new truck ate the turbo, injector cam, and #2 piston on jan 3, and after a warranty battle, she was ready on jan 29. glad i didnt have to pay all of that. now I can drive again, and work on my projects that were waiting in the truck for my return. Happy modeling.