Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opinions Needed

Fellas,

I need the opinions of some of the modelers on the board here on a magazine cover from "back in the day"...I believe I know which kits are represented by TWO of the top three models on the cover. Those being the black '32 FORD Coupe by AMT and the "Green Hornet" (with the red engine block) on the bottom of the stack.

I'm pretty sure I recognize which kit was used as a basis for the model on the top of the heap painted a candy red color, but I'd like some confirmation. Click the pic please...

Thanks,

post-4416-0-52264200-1427734454_thumb.jp

Edited by Pete L.

Pharoah,

Yea, I still get a kick out of looking them over 50 years after they were printed.

What's kind of strange is that this magazine has no mention whatsoever of the three cars on the upper portion of the cover, that's why asked the members here for their expertise !

In fact, I can't recall seeing any of those build ups anywhere else in those old magazines.

You guys are amazing!!! The knowledge from the members here on this forum is endless. Think about it. A question was asked about a picture from the cover a magazine from over 50 years ago and in just 8 minutes the question was answered correctly and confirmed by another member 3 minutes after, along with box art of the original. Then an additional 4 hours go by and another member can dissect all the parts that were donored from 3 additional kits to achieve the end result. I think it's almost second nature to most of you guys and you don't even realize how amazing it really is. Novice builders that are somewhat newer to the scene have so much that they can learn from the members here. So nice to see something other than the typical "use the search bar at the top right" response that turns off the less experienced and makes most new members hesitant to ask any questions.

Kudos to those of you!

Chris

On page 4, at the bottom of the page, Dick Oreck is credited with the builds and their origins are listed.

4.jpg

Go to the Model Encyclopedia site and look at the Dec 63 article on Oreck, it's amazing, he was casting his own parts using silicone molds, turning parts on a lathe and lacing his front wire wheels in '63.

Edited by oldnslow