Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for the airbrush experts (equipment wise)

Hey guys, I'm trying to overcome my dread of painting with an airbrush. I have a really nice Badger model 150 dual action but I don't really like the dual action and I haven't had good luck with it. I bought Donn Yost's airbrush DVD and he suggests this Paasche kit. I found this auction on Ebay and it looks like a good deal and may be just what I need to start doing some nice paint jobs? What do you guys think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAASCHE-H-Single-Action-AIRBRUSH-SET-KIT-AIR-COMPRESSOR-/190841131008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6f049000#ht_5602wt_986

Ben that's a real good deal there, you won't be disappointed. A good single action AB will expand your opportunities in painting car bodies. That pressure regulator on the compressor is a must have as well.

Don't sell the double action AB short. They take practise but you can achieve good things with one. I have three, and use one or the other almost exclusively.

Just remember you use the tool, the tool doesn't work without you. You have to get better, so practise is key.

G

Edited by Agent G

Yep, Ben...keep practicing with that 150. That's what I have as well, and it does just fine. Any a/b is like anything else that takes finesse to operate -- you have to learn its sweet spots (and in this case, what mix ratios it likes) and then it'll all come together. Buying another will just mean that you have two under the bench to learn their sweet spots. :P

Guest G Holding

Yep, Ben...keep practicing with that 150. That's what I have as well, and it does just fine. Any a/b is like anything else that takes finesse to operate -- you have to learn its sweet spots (and in this case, what mix ratios it likes) and then it'll all come together. Buying another will just mean that you have two under the bench to learn their sweet spots. :P

Gotta agree, the 150 is a great brush, not tricky to use . What problems are you having Ben?

Gotta agree, the 150 is a great brush, not tricky to use . What problems are you having Ben?

I'm sure it's just the fact that I haven't used it enough to get the feel for it but I get paint splattering some times, I can't tell which needle goes with which tip and what spray pattern each one produces?

I took Donn's advise a couple of years ago and purchased a Paasche H series airbrush. I then went to Lowe's and bought a Campbell Hausfeld air compressor with a 2 gallon tank. Of course the regulator and water trap, too. Great AB!! I normally used the #5 tip for shooting bodies.

On the advise of a friend, who happens to be an expert AB person, I bought an Iwata dual action something or other siphon feed AB. I was told to get a gravity feed, but I insisted on a siphon feed. Then I bought an Iwata dual action C+ siphon feed and I love it. The Iwata gravity feed will soon be coming to the forum to trade for complete, unbuilt kits or go on eBay.

I took Donn's advise a couple of years ago and purchased a Paasche H series airbrush. I then went to Lowe's and bought a Campbell Hausfeld air compressor with a 2 gallon tank. Of course the regulator and water trap, too. Great AB!! I normally used the #5 tip for shooting bodies.

On the advise of a friend, who happens to be an expert AB person, I bought an Iwata dual action something or other siphon feed AB. I was told to get a gravity feed, but I insisted on a siphon feed. Then I bought an Iwata dual action C+ siphon feed and I love it. The Iwata gravity feed will soon be coming to the forum to trade for complete, unbuilt kits or go on eBay.

Cool! My buddy is a professional painter on the big motorhomes I work on and he has a lot of guns. He bought an Iwata touch up gun and really likes it! I went ahead and bought this combo (link above). Seemed like a pretty good deal. Just need to find a good spray booth or build one now.

Edited by Ben

Practice, Practice, Practice .... that's all it takes. I user a Testors external mix like the one you just bought for primer, they are quick and easy to clean up.

Once I get everything set up I'll be using both guns, I'm sure. I'm shopping for a nice booth now.

Guest G Holding

I'm sure it's just the fact that I haven't used it enough to get the feel for it but I get paint splattering some times, I can't tell which needle goes with which tip and what spray pattern each one produces?

Get out the manual....splattering is from paint too thick (add thinner) or low pressure (increase)

I have a 200 and 155 love them both, never issues, I follow Donn's advice and it will work with any paint....viscosity and distance

Some modellers never really get the hang of the double action airbrushes, but you will get 1st class results with the Passche H, I have used one for many years shooting lacquer based paints through it using the #5 tip set up, I'm now using a VL-S and find the results slightly better, but you won't go far wrong using the Paasche H, I also use the F1 to do paint small parts, it's the H's smaller brother, I've had it for many years and it's a cracking little brush.

Some modellers never really get the hang of the double action airbrushes, but you will get 1st class results with the Passche H, I have used one for many years shooting lacquer based paints through it using the #5 tip set up, I'm now using a VL-S and find the results slightly better, but you won't go far wrong using the Paasche H, I also use the F1 to do paint small parts, it's the H's smaller brother, I've had it for many years and it's a cracking little brush.

Do you know if there is a tip (or needle?) that comes with the H model for shooting a narrow pattern for getting into tight corners and such without a lot of overspay?

Do you know if there is a tip (or needle?) that comes with the H model for shooting a narrow pattern for getting into tight corners and such without a lot of overspay?

The one you are looking at on eBay is the kit, which comes with the #1, #3 and #5 tips, thats the only one's available for the H, and depending on what your going to be using through it, I shoot lacquer based paints through mine, and I use the #5 set up, for acrylic's like Tamiya you should be fine to use the #3, get the paint thinned correctly and the air pressure set to around 15 - 20 p.s.i and you shouldn't have too much of a problem with excessive overspray.