Model Cars Magazine Forum

Large Rear Hot Rod Tires Needed

I'm getting ready to start a 1/16 fenderless '34 Ford Coupe hot rod and I need large rear tires with tread. Here's a picture of a TDR tire that would be perfect, except I have to use his wheels and make an adapter for a 9" Ford rearend. This is 14" wide and from a dirt track car, but I haven't seen any in 1/16.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

tirex.jpg

I thought about that, too. I could probably scribe tread into a slick, but the worst part is the straight side. A street tire would have a rounded edge and even a little bulge in the sidewall. Plus I don't know if I could cut the tread symmetrical enough to pull it off.

Ted

maybe we need to get with TDR to do some of these

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial

I was talking to Jim (micronitro) about making me a master in 1/16th scale in either a 275 or 315 drag radial for a project i wanna do, I just haven't had time to start drawing it up with the dimensions for Jim to work off of. Then i was going to try and cast them in resin, i have never done that and not sure i could pull it off.

Thanks guys.

Joe - TDR makes MT tires, but not in 1/16. He hasn't sold enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe if there's a market for a new tire, he might change his mind. The issue I have with a plastic tire is that all of the tires will have to be the same. I'm afraid the painted tire won't look good with a front resin or rubber tire. Maybe I could cast a resin tire from his dirt track tire. I'm not a caster and I'll probably do more harm than good. Any real casters out there want to take this on?

Jim - You make tires, too? You were the first person I thought of for wheels, but then there's the match-up issue I mentioned above. The TDR tire is made for a 16" wheel (1" at 1/16), so I would imagine the opening is 1", but maybe that's the bead size?? I'm not a tire guy, I guess.

Casey - It sounds like you make tires. I can research the tires I'm looking for and get back to you. I'd want them to fit Micro Nitro's Ansen wheels.

Thanks again for input and ideas. That's what I love about this forum and its members.

Ted; try making your own tires out of styrene and poster board. It's not very hard to do and they look as good as a cast tire, plus you can make them any size and tread you want.. I use flat black paint (three coats) Here's some pictures, if this interest you I'd be glad to send you more pictures and tell you how I do i it. 101_1981.jpg

101_1897.jpg

101_1895.jpg

Edited by Old Sprinter

Ken - I have to admit that the finished photo looks pretty good. I don't know if mine would be as nice.

Now I'm thinking more about the reproduction aspect, since there isn't something like this out there, If someone can make a few sets of these, I'll buy a pair and then feature the others in my store.

Here's a Hoosier tire I found that could do the trick.

Tire Size – 105.0/16.0-15

Tread width – 16.0”

Approx. Dia – 33.1”

Approx. Circ – 104.0”

Recom. Rim – 16-18” (it would have to fit Micro Nitro's Ansen wheel, although I'll have to have Jim make a deeper dish version)

Measured Rim – 17”

Section Width – 20.3”

Anybody want to take this on?

hoosier38221.gif

This Dirt Track tread design is an example and it doesn't have to look like this.

Here's a Pro Street version with a different tread. The dimensions are almost the same.

hoosierprostreet.gif

And some examples in use.

hoosierstreetrod.jpg

hoosierstreetrod2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I found some tires almost exactly the size I was looking for. I have a couple of 1/16 Shelby Cobra kits and the rear tires are perfect. Here's a shot of both front and rear. It's hard to tell the size because of a lack of anything near it, but the tread size would be equal to a 1:1 size of 15", a height of 24" and a wheel opening of 15"

These look a lot like the first Hoosier tire above.

tiresa.jpg

Edited by TedsModeling