Model Cars Magazine Forum

Exhaust Manifold Mold Line

Hey guys,

So here is an interesting scenario. Now most of us try to remove mold lines from the styrene for a more realistic look, but what if the 1:1 has a mold line too?

For example, the exhaust manifolds I'm working on for the '64 Chevy show molds lines on the reference photos I was looking at. Would you therefore leave those mold lines on the model knowing that it could look like an oversight on the modeler's part? Thanks!

Feel free to post your manifolds and thoughts.

If you let people know you left the mold lines to truly represent the 1:1 car,it all makes sense! B) But of course,most modelers would remove it because they dont even think about this fact. I personnaly like your idea a lot!

It would depend on how and where the mold line was situated on the part. If it matched the 1:1, I would leave it, only perhaps knocking it down a bit to be more scale accurate.

Along the same vein, there are some cases where there's a mold seam on a body that is present on the 1:1 that some builders will smooth out, but should be left in place. Case in point, the AMT '55 and '57 Chevrolet trucks. There is a mold seam below the headlamp that runs down to the bottom of the fender face. Most builder will remove that line and smooth it out. But, on the 1:1, there is a very noticeable seam in that location, as it's where the fender is joined together after stamping.

I 'cast' my vote for leaving mould lines in-place if the line matches (closely) its 1:1 relative's parting line .

Just as Bill Burmeister stated : dress the lines down to an in-scale appearance , and you're golden.

For the last 20+ years , I've always left a hint of a parting line on automatic transmission cases . For instance ; the TorqueFlite of 1962 & newer vintage has a parting line running from torque converter plate to the end of the gear box . The tail shaft extension housing doesn't have this same line (at least in my experiences) .

My sand cast foundry knowledge says to leave them on. Most castings that do not have to be chromed or body color painted are just snagged, and ground. Snagging is cutting of the flash and grinding the parting line as to not cause finishing and machining issues. I always leave them on engine parts , rear end casings and even body parts as in the last post indicated.