Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't believe that I've built a model airplane kit since the mid-late(?) '50's and I would like to build one soon to hang from the ceiling of my den/hobby room. I have chosen the AT-6/SNJ Texan. The box art shows a yellow body, but that wouldn't be a gloss yellow would it? I was thinkin' of spraying it gloss yellow and then spraying Dull-Cote over it, would that work, or no? Your help would be appreciated, thanks.

Being a trainer it would be better maintained than a front line fighter or bomber. The finish would be more of a gloss than anything else. Think of enamel straight from the bottle not polished or clearcoated. The color is close to MM "Chrome Yellow" or MM "Insignia Yellow". Both are slightly darker, more orangeish tones. Rudder and ailerons were fabric covered so they'd have a slight semi gloss finish.

Or, since I'm sort of a rivit counter in these matters, just spray the plane with a rattle can of "Chrome Yellow" and call it good.

:D

G

• 2 months later...

I don't believe that I've built a model airplane kit since the mid-late(?) '50's and I would like to build one soon to hang from the ceiling of my den/hobby room. I have chosen the AT-6/SNJ Texan. The box art shows a yellow body, but that wouldn't be a gloss yellow would it? I was thinkin' of spraying it gloss yellow and then spraying Dull-Cote over it, would that work, or no? Your help would be appreciated, thanks.

Go with the gloss yellow. I have seen these at air shows.

Apparently - side note - when the german luftwaffe ruled the skies over Germany, in 1941,'42, some of the cockier pilots had the complete me 109 painted gloss yellow.

• 2 weeks later...