Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help with 1/16 and 1/12 tires

Hey guys,

being a 1/24 guy, I am starting a project that will look so much better in a larger scale such as 1/16 or 1/12. My problem is I am unfamiliar with what is available in this scale. I would like to find a tire that is close to the 1:1 which is 305/40/22. Basically this is 305 mm wide(or about 12 inches wide....12.007874 to be exact, but I think 12 will do) , and 4.8 inches tall in the side wall in the 1:1 world

This would be 3/4 inch wide and .300 tall on the side wall (a little over 5/16 of an inch) in 1/16 scale. (over all height would be 1.975...almost 2 inches)

This would be 1 inch wide and .400 ( a little under 7/16 of an inch) in the 1/12 world. (overall height would be 2.63 a little over 2 1/2 inches)

Now, after all these numbers, is there anyone who might have some guidance for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

I'm not of much help, but you may want to check some Revell Ferrari kits in 1/12, if you can find one and eyeball it...? Think they did the F40 and Testorrossa...??

Not sure on sizing, I haven't seen one in person....but I'm sure the tyres are very low profile.

The 1/12 Lamborghini from Testors/Entex/Dyusha may also provide what you need, but are far more expensive.... :)

Other than those, the aftermarket for large scale is very poor..... :D

Another option is to hit your local R/C hobby shop....take a rule with you and check some of the tyres available for R/C cars. ;)

Most are for 1/10 these days, but would be close to 20's or 22's in 1/12.