Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Do I Use A Wash Over Lacquer?

I have a motor finished in various tones of Alclad and I want to apply a wash to improve the depth. I've done this with enamel thinned oil paint over acrylic but not a lacquer. Should I shoot it with Future to seal the surface and use the oil wash?

Inquiring modeler wants to know...

Dale

Nope, just use some craft store acrylics. Thin with water and apply. I have used it over all sorts of stuff.

I have Winsor Newton Galeria acrylics in tubes left over from when I was a starving artist. Are these too high class? They do thin with water.

Dale

Edit: I see a Topic Moderation button. Is that normal for threads I start?

Edited by ScaleDale

I always like to seal Alclad just to be safe when using oil-based washes. Sometimes using oil or enamel washes over unsealed Alclad can pull up some of the metallic particles and you'll end up with sparkly bits in your wash, which kinda ruins the effect. I've never had much luck with acrylic washes, they tend to be grainy and you have no time to work with them before they dry, and then once they're dry you can't really go back and blend them out like you can with oils.

Thanks, Brett. I think I'll go ahead and seal it just to be on the safe side. It's a resin motor and the Alclad didn't stick very well. Some of it rubbed off the underside of the manifold while I was assembling the carbs. Chipped right off. Future should help add a layer of protection.

Dale

The best wash I have used so far is oil paint and turpentine. You have to be a little careful. If you get too much, dry the brush on a towel, then dab the wash, it will suck it right out of the crevice. It won't hurt the paint unless you rub, or scrub the area with the brush.

The best wash I have used so far is oil paint and turpentine. You have to be a little careful. If you get too much, dry the brush on a towel, then dab the wash, it will suck it right out of the crevice. It won't hurt the paint unless you rub, or scrub the area with the brush.

Won't turpentine thin out the lacquer undercoat of Alclad? Or do you mean after sealing with Future. I'm swapping out the transmission so I'm a day or so away from this.

Dale

No, I use it right over the alclad, but I am careful to only dab the tip into a corner or the creases. If you go back and try to push it around, it will ruin it, but if you dab and let it be, it should flow and be fine. TEST though, to be safe. Always test.